Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf8300 printhead replacement - this sound right?  (Read 1923 times)

Roscolo

ipf8300 printhead replacement - this sound right?
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:48:54 pm »

Ipf8300 owners: my ipf8300 tells me to do a head cleaning, and if that doesn't work, to replace Printhead R. I've done 3 head cleanings and still get the message. I've not seen any degradation in image quality, just got this message. I've not replaced one yet. Does this scenario sound about right when one of the heads is due for replacement, or did you see degradation in image first? Thanks.

Printhead R is at 546 days and 142,871 mdot
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:07:50 pm by Roscolo »

Landscapes

Re: ipf8300 printhead replacement - this sound right?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:04 pm »

I can't speak for the 8300 as I have a 6100, but this is exactly my experience.  Being at over 500 days is I think great mind you.  It does suck that you have no warning, and no image degradation.  It must be that all the other available nozzles that could be mapped to replace the clogged ones have now run out.  So one day you are printing, next day you're completely toast.  Those head cleanings I have also found do nothing.  Once you get this message to try and clean first, you are only wasting time and ink.  Its best to just put in a new printhead and save that ink for filling the head rather than on cleaning.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:48:41 pm »

If you are getting good printouts without banding and a good test pattern, I would try taking the head out and re-seating it. This was recommended to me by a Canon phone tech.

~ Jeff

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:29:02 pm »

Thanks to you both. Didn't even think about reseating the head. I'll do that and go ahead and order a new head. Good thing I still have my HP z3100 also as this happened right in the middle of a job. Now if Canon could just make those printheads a little less expensive!  :o

Landscapes

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:35:45 am »

How are you able to take the head out to re-seat it?  If you go through the replace printhead option to drain and fill the head, isn't that a huge waste of ink only to find out that it still won't work?

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 12:19:59 pm »

My status monitor says I've only used 2.37 liters of ink. Doesn't Canon say the heads should last through 4 liters of ink? I guess it's worth a call.

UPDATE: It was definitely worth a call. Canon's tech support is on par with their superior printers. I build computers and have dealt with various levels of tech support from a wide range of manufacturers, and Canon's support system may just be the best I've ever encountered.

Still would like to see the price on the printheads be in the $100 - $200 range. Fortunately I have a backup printer and I don't have to keep a spare printhead in stock. The problem with keeping a printhead in stock is apparently the warranty period starts from the date of purchase, not from the date the printhead is put in use.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:34:39 pm by Roscolo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up