Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 paper skew problem  (Read 7051 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Epson 3880 paper skew problem
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:18:42 pm »

I was happily printing on my 3880 today, when it suddenly started giving me a paper skew error.  This is with using the single sheet rear feeder for 13x19 matte paper.  I have re-booted the machine repeatedly and reinserted the paper each time, but the error keeps recurring.  Over the past four years, I have made several thousand prints with this machine and have only had a few paper skews, all of which were easily corrected.

Does anyone know what might be going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Rob

howardm

Re: Epson 3880 paper skew problem
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:34:13 pm »

I think there are prior threads on this fault.  Given what you've said, I'd lean toward the dust and falloff from all those prints have either coated the rollers that grab the paper or sensor is blocked/coated w/ same dust.  Perhaps vacuuming the printer out, or compressed air or cleaner sheets would be a good place to start.

steveclv

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:40:21 pm »

The front and rear paper sensors are photo reflective devices and they may be covered in dust, grime or ink - I have a service manual that I can send you as a PDF if you PM me your email address.

Steve

Howard, read your PM :)

robgo2

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 04:46:56 pm »

The front and rear paper sensors are photo reflective devices and they may be covered in dust, grime or ink - I have a service manual that I can send you as a PDF if you PM me your email address.

Steve

Howard, read your PM :)

Thanks, Steve.  PM has been sent.

Rob

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 04:50:37 pm »

Check your platen gap. I had the same problem. Turned out the platen gap was too tight for the paper being used.

robgo2

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 05:03:08 pm »

Check your platen gap. I had the same problem. Turned out the platen gap was too tight for the paper being used.

John,

I seriously doubt that is the issue.  I have had no problem printing with the same paper (Museo Portfolio Rag) for the past two years at least.  Indeed, I had made two prints just prior to the paper skew error showing up.

Rob

robgo2

It gets weirder.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 05:52:45 pm »

After some more experimentation, I have learned the following:

1.  The same paper (MPR) loads perfectly with sheets of 8.5x11 and 17x22
2.  Epson Hot Press Natural loads perfectly with sheets of 13x19

Hence, there is something specific to MPR 13x19 that suddenly makes it incompatible with my 3880.  I'm not sure where to turn.  My fear is that if I call Epson customer support, they will tell me that they are not responsible for non-Epson papers.  I suppose that I could print everything on 17x22 MPR and cut it to size, but that will get expensive rather quickly.

Another thing.  To my eye, the paper appears to be feeding perfectly straight, meaning that the printers skew sensors may be sending a false error signal.  Is there a way to disable the paper skew error?

Rob
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:58:26 pm by robgo2 »

robgo2

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 06:40:12 pm »

More testing.  I ran a 13x19 sheet of MPR through the automatic sheet feeder (ASF), which is not ideal for heavyweight matte paper.  The printer printed, but the image was noticeably skewed on the page.  Something is definitely wrong with the mechanism that feeds the paper in a straight line.  Will call Epson in the morning and hope for the best.  I love the printer so much, that I can actually see myself replacing my old one with a new one.  There is simply nothing else on the market that can match the 3880's output and at the same time fit comfortably on a desktop.  If I knew that Epson had a replacement model in the works, I would wait for it, but rumor has it there is none.  (Rumors can be wrong, of course.)

Rob

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 06:44:32 pm »

Have you check the square on the paper?  I have had paper out of square and would not load properly due to the 3880 edge test.

John

robgo2

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 07:14:42 pm »

Have you check the square on the paper?  I have had paper out of square and would not load properly due to the 3880 edge test.

John,

Brilliant!  When I overlay the "bad" paper with some "good" paper, the former is clearly out of square.  That must be the cause of the problem.  Come to think of it, this all began when I cracked open a new box of MPR.  I love the paper for B&W work, but Museo needs to work on quality control.  I will be returning the two boxes that I bought and hope for better luck with the next batch.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.  I never would have thought of it myself.  

My 3880 will live on.

Rob

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:37:02 pm by robgo2 »

douvidl

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 09:37:57 am »

Steve;
Can I tag on your request and ask for the PDF of the Epson 3880 repair manual?
Many Thanks
David

steveclv

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:13:54 am »

It's actually for the 3800 but they are virtually identical printers

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZUczRFFWeWFtMEpqQThUQw

The link will expire in a couple of days.

Regards

Steve

BradSmith

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:45:02 am »

Service Manual - thanks for this.  Hope I never need it, but if I do, I know I'll be glad you posted it.
Brad

francois

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 12:33:31 pm »

It's actually for the 3800 but they are virtually identical printers

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZUczRFFWeWFtMEpqQThUQw

The link will expire in a couple of days.

Regards

Steve

Thanks a lot for the service manual…
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up