Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lee ND vs. Formatt Hitech ProStop IRND slide in filters?  (Read 14716 times)

chesty01

Re: Lee ND vs. Formatt Hitech ProStop IRND slide in filters?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 11:59:19 am »

I too have ordered to more filters. The Firecresr ND 16 and the .9 GradND. The two references that come to mind are by Julia Anna Gospodarou and Joel Tjintjelaar.  Of course I think they are spokespeople for Hitech, but they provide examples and some helpfu' ideas, although I would never use duct tape on my camera.

gazwas

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:44 pm »

LEE filters all the way - their customer spport is second to none and their product is first rate.

When researching filters the hitech always had such mixed reviews that I steered clear. I was recently told that their filters do vary in quality a lot due to the manufacturing process used and some of the strong ND filters can be cast free while others even after WB correction still have a strange cast in some colours.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

chesty01

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 06:57:08 pm »

So far, I dont' have the color cast and I have not had a problem with their customer support or Lee's when I have called.  The examples I have seen show LEE and Cokin with color cast.  I think it will come down to personal preference and what does the job for you.  I've owned many filters and they all do the job, but I wanted glass this time around, and went off of my friends reviews and some research on the net.

I am talking about the Firecrest filters not the prostop irnd filters which are predecessor to the Firecrest.  So, we should be also be sure of which filter family we are talking about.  The prostops from what I have read did have some color cast, but so far my Firecrests have none.

Cayman

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 07:24:59 pm »

Ok, finally found the review that led me to purchase the Firecrest.  http://www.exploringexposure.com/blog/2014/12/2/nd-filter-review .  I can agree with the lack of color cast.

Also for anyone into 165mm filters, I found this bag, https://terrascape.pt/filter-bag-onsixfive/?lang=en .  I had to order it to the US from their UK reseller and still waiting on delivery.

chesty01

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »

Has anyone tried the Lee Wide Angle Hood?  I am curious if this will work as intended?  I am very interested in this.  It also only takes Grad NDs in the landscape position, but it looks like if one were to modify it slightly by adding a second set of mounting holes for the filter holder, you could then mount the filter holder for use of the Grad NDs in the portrait mode.  Not an elegant or swift change over, but functional and beats buying the adapter and a second filter holder to rotate on the fly (which also pushes the hood out further in front of the lens which could cause vignetting on very wide angle lenses)  Looking for links to reviews or first hand experience.

mkihne

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:30 pm »

The Formatt-HiTech Firecrest filters are neutral and thin. Have confirmed the 16 and 10 stop flavors in 82 and 77mm circular. Only wish they were in brass rather than aluminum for threading but no problems as is.
Do not confuse the old reviews with these new filters.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:15:20 pm by mkihne »

gazwas

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 04:32:21 am »

Has anyone tried the Lee Wide Angle Hood?  I am curious if this will work as intended?  I am very interested in this.

Yes, I use the LEE WA hood on every shot I make and it has to be one of the best photography purchases I have ever made. I used it with my Arca Swiss tech camera as it was a great solution when doing stitching with a MF digi back and use it on my all my Canon lenses. The LEE WA hood is the only hood option I know of that can be used on the Canon 17mm TS-E as this lens can be a pig for flare. I started using the hood with the 17mm when LEE released the adapter ring and have never experienced any flare issues since. As they are self supporting you can add more shading to one side of the frame than the other which is an excellent option. The hood can be used with just the lens adapter to fit on very wide angle lenses or you can add filter slots for all your usual filters. Additionally the LEE 105mm adapter ring can be mounted to the hood for use with slim polarisers. If you don't use very wide angle lenses the Universal hood is also very nice and a lot more compact.

You can see it mounted to the 17mm TS-E below.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:46:39 am by gazwas »

gazwas

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 04:46:06 am »

It also only takes Grad NDs in the landscape position, but it looks like if one were to modify it slightly by adding a second set of mounting holes for the filter holder, you could then mount the filter holder for use of the Grad NDs in the portrait mode.

There are two sets of mounting holes already on the LEE filter adapter so no drilling needed but you would still have to unscrew the hood from the filter holder to re-position the filter slots for portrait use which is possible but a bit fiddly on a shoot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:49:53 am by gazwas »

chesty01

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 01:15:28 pm »

I agree having to undo screws for a reposition is not ideal, but it is a solution and will work great. Not like shooting landscapes requires speed (most of the time)  I also like that you can use it with the 17mm TS-E with the adapter.  I will be purchasing this item very shortly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up