Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss D4 Head Protection  (Read 1407 times)

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
Arca Swiss D4 Head Protection
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:31:41 am »

Question for those people with Arca Swiss D4 heads...

I was wondering if anyone found a suitable cover to fit over the head to offer it some protection when slinging the tripod around and throwing it in back of cars etc?

It is a lovely engineered object and it feels like it should be protected :-).   But I can't find anything suitable

Thanks

Phil

Kerry L

Re: Arca Swiss D4 Head Protection
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:46:45 am »

I protect my ballhead from dirt and dust while it's it the back of my Jeep with a padded bag/sack originally intended for a light weight backpackers stove. There's a draw cord to keep in place and the bags come in a variety of colours.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:17:07 am »

I protect my ballhead from dirt and dust while it's it the back of my Jeep with a padded bag/sack originally intended for a light weight backpackers stove. There's a draw cord to keep in place and the bags come in a variety of colours.
What I find really works well is a lens pouch from Optech.  However if it gets wet I would remove it when arriving home or wherever staying for a while and dry the head immediately.
But it is easy put over the top.  Other lens pouches may work as well.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

Kerry L

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 10:33:22 am »

What I find really works well is a lens pouch from Optech.  However if it gets wet I would remove it when arriving home or wherever staying for a while and dry the head immediately.
But it is easy put over the top.  Other lens pouches may work as well.
Rod

Yes Rod, it's the same idea. I also tried various neoprene lens pouches, but couldn't find one the was long enough without also being very wide . I liked the idea of a brightly coloured bag that made it easier to find not if but when I dropped it along the trail or where ever.

You're right about taking it off at home to remove any moisture or condensation.

It really is a matter of shopping around. 

K

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 11:43:12 am »

I liked the idea of a brightly coloured bag that made it easier to find not if but when I dropped it along the trail or where ever.

I use chalk bags intended for rock climbers for this kind of thing. The drawstring makes the size noncritical, as long as it's long enough.

Is this one bright enough for you?

Jim

Kerry L

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 07:08:05 pm »

I use chalk bags intended for rock climbers for this kind of thing. The drawstring makes the size noncritical, as long as it's long enough.

Is this one bright enough for you?

Jim

Does it glow in the dark?? A useful attribute for those before sunrise/after sunset location hikes ;)

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 12:08:25 pm »

Thanks guys.  I think I will try one of the padded stove covers.

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up