Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for replacing Epson Cold Press Bright?  (Read 2006 times)

artiste

Suggestions for replacing Epson Cold Press Bright?
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:45:16 pm »

I was using Epson Cold Press Bright inkjet paper in my Canon ipf5000 printer until I noticed that solid color areas (for instance a blue sky or a solid black filled area) were blotchy looking. The blotches seem to be caused by the paper absorbing the ink differently - they appear randomly so it's not something stuck on my printhead or anything. I thought at first that it would level out after the prints dried, but leaving them to dry for several days made no difference. This is not noticeable in areas where there is lots of detail (rocks, tree leaves, etc) but unfortunately my work has lots of solid colors areas in it. It was not a defective roll of paper either, it showed up using different rolls over the course of several months of printing.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a paper similar in weight, brightness and texture to the Cold Press Bright that won't blotch. I need a very high quality, heavy weight, bright white paper with a nice texture for printing fine art painting reproductions on.

howardm

Re: Suggestions for replacing Epson Cold Press Bright?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »

maybe ...

Innova IFA13 Cold Press
Canson Aquarelle 310 or BFK Rives
Hahn Torchon, German Etching or William Turner
Epson Somerset Velvet or Textured Fine Art

huguito

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:01:45 pm »

I print with the Epson Cold Press Bright and notice the same.

You can try reducing the ink density 15%
or
Print using the Epson cold press bright profile, but in the printer driver, choose as semi gloss, that setting delivers less ink, I get very good results that way.

Good luck

Hugo

artiste

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions! I am not sure if there is a setting on the Canon to reduce the ink density, but I can use different paper settings as you suggested. I have been printing using the "Fine art textured" and matte or velvet paper settings. I will give it a try! Because otherwise, I really liked the paper.

huguito

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 09:12:43 pm »

The setting for glossy deliver the least, luster and semi-gloss a bit more, next is matte and the textured watercolor papers settings seem to deliver the most ink.
At least that's what I find testing on my 9600
Pages: [1]   Go Up