Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GH4 as B-cam to RED  (Read 3316 times)

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
GH4 as B-cam to RED
« on: May 16, 2014, 02:14:58 pm »

Hi All,

Well, maybe most particularly, hi bcooter and other guys who shoot RED and who might have already grabbed a GH4. Is it good? Does the footage match to RED nicely?

I've got a Scarlet. It's my A cam for motion. I love it.

I want a second B-cam to cover some specific things for role as a B-cam, action cam and behind the scenes cam. Basically something that sits in between the RED and the GoPro, with a view to getting it on a gimbal rig in due course. So I want:

- Autofocus
- Light
- Small
- Self-contained, no rig, no V-lock batteries, no external recorder
- Point and shoot when it needs to be
- Built in mic for scratch track to sync in post

The early reports on the GH4 are very encouraging, except that the "early day" internet wisdom is that the footage is perhaps a tad over-sharp and lacking in dynamic range. Other "internet moans" about the depth of field not quite reaching FF magic I plain don't care about- I *want* more depth of field on this cam, since it'll often be unattended, or crewed by random gibbon, or me running around with a gimbal rig and no-one to pull focus.

I wondered if anyone's tried intercutting GH4 and RED footage yet, and if so, how you think it edits together?

I'll test drive before I buy obviously but quite tempted to flog all my all aging camcorders (HVX200, AF100, 7D) while they still have some residual value and get a GH4 and speedbooster for video and maybe a full frame 6D for stills backup to the 'blad and as D-cam for video if I really need camera number four.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Hywel.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:18:37 pm by Hywel »

bcooter

Re: GH4 as B-cam to RED
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:51:10 pm »

Hi All,

Well, maybe most particularly, hi bcooter and other guys who shoot RED and who might have already grabbed a GH4. Is it good? Does the footage match to RED nicely?

I've got a Scarlet. It's my A cam for motion. I love it.

I want a second B-cam to cover some specific things for role as a B-cam, action cam and behind the scenes cam. Basically something that sits in between the RED and the GoPro, with a view to getting it on a gimbal rig in due course. So I want:

- Autofocus
- Light
- Small
- Self-contained, no rig, no V-lock batteries, no external recorder
- Point and shoot when it needs to be
- Built in mic for scratch track to sync in post

The early reports on the GH4 are very encouraging, except that the "early day" internet wisdom is that the footage is perhaps a tad over-sharp and lacking in dynamic range. Other "internet moans" about the depth of field not quite reaching FF magic I plain don't care about- I *want* more depth of field on this cam, since it'll often be unattended, or crewed by random gibbon, or me running around with a gimbal rig and no-one to pull focus.

I wondered if anyone's tried intercutting GH4 and RED footage yet, and if so, how you think it edits together?

I'll test drive before I buy obviously but quite tempted to flog all my all aging camcorders (HVX200, AF100, 7D) while they still have some residual value and get a GH4 and speedbooster for video and maybe a full frame 6D for stills backup to the 'blad and as D-cam for video if I really need camera number four.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Hywel.

I'll pick up a gh4 this weekend.   I've shot some test footage and so far to me it has the same color/tone/look as the gh3 with just more detail.

Yes, it does look sharp same with the gh3's sometimes oversharp depending on lighting.  Harsh side, to backlight makes both cameras sharp.

Now I haven't shot a project with it yet next to my REDs but I've done that with the gh3's for over 300 minutes of finished videos and I can kind of make them look the same, but once again it depends on the lighting and subjects.

To me dslr footage, actually all video cam footage kind of looks video (if that's an explanation).  I do know that underexposing the pansonics make for a more film like look, overexposing or being slightly over looks very video, where RED footage looks like Kodak Vision.

Now compared to your current smaller cameras, I believe both the gh3 and 4 are much better cameras for a looser shoot, like lifestyle.   I find it's important to keep the wb as neutral as possible, keep the file as flat as possible so you can move it.

In regards to a film like focus pull, at least panasonic has addresed it with fast leica lenses which are superb, though I really wish the two constant zooms were faster because they have a beautiful roll off.

I'll know more soon, but for the price Panasonic has video down to best in class.

IMO

BC

P.S.  This may sound crazy, but I've been looking into smart phones for run and gun. I know, I know, but there is a huge 3rd party industry these things, sony has a 4k version, anyway have you seen this apple 30 year spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJahlKPCL9g

Obviously it was big money with Ridley Scott overseeing it, with real lighting, grip, cranes, dollies and I'm sure enough post work to do to a pixar movie, but still damn impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vslQm7IYME4

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:36:50 pm by bcooter »

WhiteWolf09

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:07:23 pm »

I think it will
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:02:39 pm by WhiteWolf09 »

fredjeang2

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:52:10 am »