Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSLR & Medium format Camera Bag recommendations  (Read 2056 times)

Azmir

DSLR & Medium format Camera Bag recommendations
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:32:19 pm »

Hello everyone,

God willing, I'll be traveling at the end of May and I'm thinking of bringing both my DSLR and Hasselblad H1 systems along.

For the DSLR, I use a Nikon D800 + a combination of manual AIS prime lenses; 24mm f2.8 ais, 35mm f2 D, 50mm f1.2 ais and 85mm f1.4 ais. And for the Hasselblad it's pretty much a H1 + HC80mm.

I currently use a combination of the lowepro flipside 300 for my DSLR + lenses and the Ari Marcopoulos for my H1.

Any recommendations for a bag that could fit both systems?

I tried with the lowepro flipside 300 but it gets a bit tight.

Also...is there any truth about the sensor getting fried at high altitudes?

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance

Azmir

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: DSLR & Medium format Camera Bag recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:28:46 am »

Hi,

I have a Gura Gear Kiboko, the original model.

It contains:

A Hasselblad 555 ELD with P45+ back, PM5 viewfinder and 40, 50, 80, 120 and 180 mm Hasselblad lenses

it also contains

A Sony Alpha 99 with a Zeiss 24-70/2.8 mounted, a Sony 70-400/4-5.6 and a Sigma fisheye and/or Sigma ultra wide zoom.

If the Zeiss is not mounted I can probably carry a bit more, but there is also something called weight.

The bag fits in the overhead bin of a Canadair Regional Jet, the main reason I bought it.

Best regards
Erik

Hello everyone,

God willing, I'll be traveling at the end of May and I'm thinking of bringing both my DSLR and Hasselblad H1 systems along.

For the DSLR, I use a Nikon D800 + a combination of manual AIS prime lenses; 24mm f2.8 ais, 35mm f2 D, 50mm f1.2 ais and 85mm f1.4 ais. And for the Hasselblad it's pretty much a H1 + HC80mm.

I currently use a combination of the lowepro flipside 300 for my DSLR + lenses and the Ari Marcopoulos for my H1.

Any recommendations for a bag that could fit both systems?

I tried with the lowepro flipside 300 but it gets a bit tight.

Also...is there any truth about the sensor getting fried at high altitudes?

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance

Azmir

Erik Kaffehr

Azmir

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 01:08:21 am »

Hi there Erik,

Apologies for the late reply.

Thank you for the recommendation. Yea weight will be an issue carrying two systems.

I might be making a classic mistake by bringing too many lenses. On one hand, I'm worried I don't have something either wide enough or long enough for a shot. We'll see how it goes, I have another week to decide.

The Gura Gear bag you mentioned looks real solid. I'm not sure I've seen this brand around in K.L, Malaysia. A lot of the ones I see are ThinkTank, Lowepro and KATA. There is this one brand called Caseman which I think is Australian and reasonably priced. I checked out one of their bags recently and it seemed pretty sturdy.

Any how, thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Azmir

Hi,

I have a Gura Gear Kiboko, the original model.

It contains:

A Hasselblad 555 ELD with P45+ back, PM5 viewfinder and 40, 50, 80, 120 and 180 mm Hasselblad lenses

it also contains

A Sony Alpha 99 with a Zeiss 24-70/2.8 mounted, a Sony 70-400/4-5.6 and a Sigma fisheye and/or Sigma ultra wide zoom.

If the Zeiss is not mounted I can probably carry a bit more, but there is also something called weight.

The bag fits in the overhead bin of a Canadair Regional Jet, the main reason I bought it.

Best regards
Erik

skimasks

• http://www.justinpoulsen.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »

I second the Gura Gear bag. I have a Guragear 32L bataflae. I carry a H1+p45+80mm,50-110+arcaswiss cube in one side. and in the other I have a d800+d7000+60mm,24-70mm,24mm ts, and all of the cables/accessories to run each system. the middle part seperation does wonders for helping me find everything I need quickly and efficiently. It's not an inexpensive bag, but it hasn't let me down yet and for the weight I put in it..all the handles are holding up really well. No signs of fatigue.

Azmir

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:57:38 am »

Hi there skimasks,

Would you mind sharing a photo of the gear when placed in the bag?

I'm quite curious and might be interested in getting myself one of these.

Thanks,

Azmir

I second the Gura Gear bag. I have a Guragear 32L bataflae. I carry a H1+p45+80mm,50-110+arcaswiss cube in one side. and in the other I have a d800+d7000+60mm,24-70mm,24mm ts, and all of the cables/accessories to run each system. the middle part seperation does wonders for helping me find everything I need quickly and efficiently. It's not an inexpensive bag, but it hasn't let me down yet and for the weight I put in it..all the handles are holding up really well. No signs of fatigue.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
My Gura Gear Kiboko
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:36:11 am »

Hi,

Two shots of my Gura Gear Kiboko, packed with:

Hasselblad 555/ELD with P45+ and PM5

Five lenses: 40, 50, 80, 120 and 180 mm

On the other side of the bag:

Sony SLT 99, 24-70/2.8 ZA lens and 70-400/4-5.6G and Sigma Fisheye 10/3.5 and 12-24/4-5.6

I could take a bit more if the big 24-70/2.8 lens was not mounted on the camera, but weight is also an issue.

The empty bag is around 2.2 kg and fits in above head bins on a Canadair Regional Jet if pockets are empty.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 04:32:54 am »

I have recently bought a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro backpack, great piece of kit, very comfortable, it can take around 9-10 pieces of kit. It takes:

EOS 6D with Zeiss 21 ZE
EOS 6D with Canon 35 f2 IS
Canon 100 macro IS
430 EXII flash
Plus Lee filter holder and filters for above lenses, and assorted accessories (charger, extra batteries and cards, etc).

I have considered the Gura Gear packs, but where I live (Portugal), to order one is just too expensive (more than 400 euros).
Pages: [1]   Go Up