Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade to Surecolor or HP Latex...  (Read 2946 times)

Keithw1975

Upgrade to Surecolor or HP Latex...
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »

We currently have a couple of Epson 9900s that we use quite a bit and about half of our work is on vinyl, so we are looking to sell one of them and get either an eco-solvent printer, or a latex printer, such as the HP 310.

We are looking for something with a color gamut that is close to the Epson 9900s, but with more durability and abrasion resistance on banners and signage.

Any suggestions or advice from people with experience using either type of machine would be much appreciated.

iladi

Re: Upgrade to Surecolor or HP Latex...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 03:17:39 am »

from my experience: don't buy a brand, buy the best service you can get. the closer is even better.

signage printers are more robust than fine art printers, and much more expensive. they are workhorses but eventually at some point you are about to have to service the printer. and here comes the time and money consuming part. if you will have a very good technician to help you will lose less time and less money.

regarding gamut: signage is not as demanding as fine art. you are looking at the prints from meters away so it doesn't care so much if you print 1400 dpi or 720 or even 320 for a very large banner far away. from my point of view 4 colors or 6 color are about the same regarding signage gamut, but with 4 colors you have less ink consumed and less profiling problems.

as far as latex vs ecosolvent after a long google on the net I give up buying a latex due to the fact that I find them much more sensitive to the environment variables and dust. but this is my shop, maybe it is not you case. also it is a bit harder to get the right settings for different materials, especially the heat sensitive ones.

PS not a recommendation and not advertising anything, but I have a Roland for 7 years and it is nothing  comparing to my Epson. Much more industry grade build, a lot less complicated and much more robust. the simpler it is the less prone to get broken.

my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:22:14 am by iladi »

tived

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:12:50 pm »

Roland is very much the Epson of the sign writing world

Henrik

Keithw1975

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:54:01 am »

After looking into the Roland, I must say that it looks like a great machine. It's ability to do cutting is also a major plus.

I am thinking this is the way to go for us, I just want to make sure it is the better option over latex. These graphics are viewed from about 2-3 feet away, and matching spot colors, which are purple, orange and green, is very critical. Our 9900 matches them perfectly.

Chris233

Upgrade to Surecolor or HP Latex...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 12:09:16 pm »

You could send a spot swatch target file and sample from your 9900 to each dealer of the machines your considering. They'll send back calibrated samples so you can get a general idea how the machine performs for your purple, orange, and green. Try to have them include the conditions which the samples was made. Printer settings, RIP, profiles/calibration method, etc. A good sales rep will get these things for you without trouble.
Pages: [1]   Go Up