Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any network gurus here?  (Read 5068 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Any network gurus here?
« on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:29 am »

I have a weird and vexing problem that has resisted all attempts at resolution. I have a Windows network with 4 computers and 1 RAID array serving as NAS, all in the same workgroup. All worked swimmingly for a couple of years until suddenly 1 computer could no longer see the NAS. The other computers see the NAS fine, and the 1 computer sees the other computers. Now here's the strange part - from the problem computer I can ping the NAS using it's IP address and I can open its built-in configuration utility, but I cannot see its folders or see it to map to a drive letter. I have rebooted everything including the router.

I am ready to chew nails over this and would love any advice.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Any network gurus here?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:59:46 am »

I have a weird and vexing problem that has resisted all attempts at resolution. I have a Windows network with 4 computers and 1 RAID array serving as NAS, all in the same workgroup. All worked swimmingly for a couple of years until suddenly 1 computer could no longer see the NAS. The other computers see the NAS fine, and the 1 computer sees the other computers. Now here's the strange part - from the problem computer I can ping the NAS using it's IP address and I can open its built-in configuration utility, but I cannot see its folders or see it to map to a drive letter. I have rebooted everything including the router.

If the internal times of Windows domain computers get too far apart from the time on the NAS server, they won't be able to see it in the Explorer. Solution: have the NAS use NTP and point it at the Windows PDC.

http://www.kasson.com/bleeding_edge/?p=750

If that's too much shorthand, let me know and I'll explain more.

Jim

PeterAit

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:48:36 am »

Thanks for the reply - I had heard of this odd time issue. The computer and NAS are within 30 seconds of each other. I don't think the NAS has the option to use NTP. But, 30 seconds shouldn't be a problem (I hope)?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:05 pm »

Thanks for the reply - I had heard of this odd time issue. The computer and NAS are within 30 seconds of each other. I don't think the NAS has the option to use NTP. But, 30 seconds shouldn't be a problem (I hope)?

Hmmm. That sounds close enough. Is your network a Windows domain, or is it a network neighborhood? I only know about domains, and I can offer some more things to try if that's the case.

Jim

PeterAit

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:18:24 pm »

Hmmm. That sounds close enough. Is your network a Windows domain, or is it a network neighborhood? I only know about domains, and I can offer some more things to try if that's the case.

Jim

Not a domain, just a workgroup.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:32:15 pm »

Not a domain, just a workgroup.

Then I can't help. Sorry.

Jim

PeterAit

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 05:47:17 pm »

Thanks for your attempt to help, I appreciate it. Maybe if I sacrifice a chicken .... ?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 06:00:42 pm »

Maybe if I sacrifice a chicken .... ?

...or a Mac.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »

All worked swimmingly for a couple of years until suddenly 1 computer could no longer see the NAS. The other computers see the NAS fine, and the 1 computer sees the other computers. Now here's the strange part - from the problem computer I can ping the NAS using it's IP address and I can open its built-in configuration utility, but I cannot see its folders or see it to map to a drive letter. I have rebooted everything including the router.

Hi, this might have been caused by a windows update. Two possible issues:
1) Firewall - Do you have windows Firewall on? Try turning it off to see if it is a problem related to permissions

2) Corrupted network configuration: Uninstall the driver (from the Device Manager) for the network adapter and reboot. It should detect and reinstall the driver. If required, complete the configuration. Before doing this, review if there is anything special in the configuration (IP, DNS, etc) and create a system restore point just in case.

Regards

PeterAit

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:24:16 am »

Hi, this might have been caused by a windows update. Two possible issues:
1) Firewall - Do you have windows Firewall on? Try turning it off to see if it is a problem related to permissions

2) Corrupted network configuration: Uninstall the driver (from the Device Manager) for the network adapter and reboot. It should detect and reinstall the driver. If required, complete the configuration. Before doing this, review if there is anything special in the configuration (IP, DNS, etc) and create a system restore point just in case.

Regards
[/quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I turned off the firewall, no change. And, doesn't the fact that the computer can see other systems on the network, just not the NAS, suggest that the driver is OK?

degrub

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 10:38:20 am »

How are the computers networked together - wired only , wireless, mixed ?
Anything different about the "one" ? OS or patch level ? All machines the same ?
What software / hardware changed on that machine before this started ?
The windows installed software + updates control panel may give you an indication if there was an update installed just before related to the network hardware.

Which NAS and software version is running ?
It sounds like either a time out issue or a name resolution, perhaps discovery issue.

If it is wired connection, does the problem move with the wire ?
If wireless, has anything changed in the physical path to the access point ?

Frank

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 05:33:19 pm »

And, doesn't the fact that the computer can see other systems on the network, just not the NAS, suggest that the driver is OK?

Yes, it might be Ok, there is no certainty than in reinstalling the driver the issue will be solved.

Another test, I suppose you just access the NAS like a shared network folder and the device has a name (a screenshot would be helpful, as well as knowing which exact version of Windows you're using).

Try opening the folder using the IP address of the device from Start -> Run with the following sintaxis:

\\x.x.x.x\[Folder name]  

The attached screenshot shows the intruction to open the folder \Users\Francisco in the computer at 192.168.1.3

PeterAit

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 11:41:25 am »

Yes, it might be Ok, there is no certainty than in reinstalling the driver the issue will be solved.

Another test, I suppose you just access the NAS like a shared network folder and the device has a name (a screenshot would be helpful, as well as knowing which exact version of Windows you're using).

Try opening the folder using the IP address of the device from Start -> Run with the following sintaxis:

\\x.x.x.x\[Folder name]  

The attached screenshot shows the intruction to open the folder \Users\Francisco in the computer at 192.168.1.3

Thanks - none of these things work.

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 12:20:45 pm »

Try buying an inexpensive network adapter - like one of these: http://www.intellinet-network.com/en-US/categories/65-network-cards, assuming that the PC in question has room for one.

Tony

PeterAit

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 04:14:39 pm »

Try buying an inexpensive network adapter - like one of these: http://www.intellinet-network.com/en-US/categories/65-network-cards, assuming that the PC in question has room for one.

Tony

Thanks, but - how might this help me?

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 05:38:59 pm »

We've had odd, partial connectivity issues in the past and replacing the network adapter fixed the problems. A new adapter will more than likely load a different driver set, too. It might not fix the issue in this case, but it seems like it's worth a small investment to see if it does.

Tony

PeterAit

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 08:38:09 am »

We've had odd, partial connectivity issues in the past and replacing the network adapter fixed the problems. A new adapter will more than likely load a different driver set, too. It might not fix the issue in this case, but it seems like it's worth a small investment to see if it does.

Tony

I'll try it - it's a laptop using the built-in wifi, I assume I could get a USB wifi adapter?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:17 am »

I'll try it - it's a laptop using the built-in wifi, I assume I could get a USB wifi adapter?

Assuming the laptop has an RJ-45 connector, why not just plug it right in? If not, how about a USB wired Ethernet adapter and bypass the WiFi for diagnostic purposes? Seems to me you want to strip out all the extra stuff you can.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up