Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving my iPF8300 to OSX 10.9 - experiences and questions?  (Read 551 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images

For a long time (it seems) I've kept my main working Mac at 10.6.8 - stuff just works, and I still use* GoLive8 (CS2) to build and maintain the Northlight Images web site.

This was never going to be a long term solution, as more and more software wouldn't work. A move to CS6 along with AutoPano Giga 3.5 and several other new bits of software just pushed this along.

Recently I set up 10.9.2 on a new 900GB SSD and have been trying various set-ups (but still with my 10.6.8 system on another disk). Yesterday came that crunch time as I moved the Northlight site (and a few other PPC apps) to a headless Mac mini (with SSD) running 10.5 (screen sharing works just fine with a dummy VGA plug).

The 10.9 system is migrated from the 10.6 one, so who knows what's been carried over ;-)  A clean install might be the preferred route, but I'll give this a go - it keeps a lot of 'convenience' (my 'convenience' may be your 'years of crud' - YMMV )

For my iPF8300 I installed the 10.8 driver, but didn't set up the printer, I then installed the 10.9 update (both from Canon's US site). Then I added the printer using the Canon printer setup. Once I'd remembered to go and wake up the printer, things moved along a bit quicker...  Then I installed the latest Photoshop print plugin (into CS6 - I don't use LR at all)

A quick bit of text printed from textedit worked fine, but the print plugin popped up a cryptic "In use by another user" message.  Then I looked at the printer selected in the plugin - it seemed to have a different name to what was in the previous printer setup. Changing it to the current printer, and out comes my B&W test print in Monochrome mode. As a bonus I note that I now seem to have the same adjustment capabilities as I'd noticed when testing a 6450 last year.

So... it seems to work ;-)  I was prepared to do a full clean start, but there is a difference when it's your day to day machine

I've not profiled or carried out any serious printing yet, so I thought I'd ask what the current experiences of people using 10.9.2 were in this respect? I've read many of the previous threads, so I'm really asking if there is anything 'new' that people have found out (good or bad) in respect of 10.9.2?

*The site is huge, and I don't have a month spare to learn an entirely new development environment -and- rebuild the site from scratch... maybe one day ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor
Pages: [1]   Go Up