Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last of winter  (Read 1388 times)

RobbieV

• My work.
Last of winter
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:34:14 pm »

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Last of winter
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:28:56 pm »

A good interpretation of your title. For me the birds on the far left distract by being so close to the edge of the frame. The bird within the tree branches serves its function well. I didn't like the barbed wire fence when I first saw the image because it was so close to the bottom of the frame, but now I'm not so sure. There's nothing as cold and inhospitable than barbed wire, so it lends another level of desolation.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:36:18 am »

I agree with Glen about the birds on the left edge. The one within the branches is an unexpected surprise - a branch that's not connected to the tree. Still 'on the fence' about the barbed wire - painful, let me tell you!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:07:46 am »

And then there is this.....

Peter
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:09:41 am by petermfiore »

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:44:44 am »

I agree with Glen about the birds on the left edge. The one within the branches is an unexpected surprise - a branch that's not connected to the tree. Still 'on the fence' about the barbed wire - painful, let me tell you!

Mike.

I'm also with you two, the birds on the left side of this image are unnecessary and a minus. They should be removed are re-located as in Peter's version just above.
Francois

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:04:04 pm »

Robbie,

I like the atmosphere you achieved. Panoramic composition is notoriously difficult, but you got that mainly right.

A couple of things I would do differently:

- I would probably get rid of the fence or at least give it a different, less contrasty/dark/harsh treatment
- I had the same idea as Peter, i.e., moving the birds to the right side; in contrast to his version, I would have them a bit more prominent, higher up in the sky, and a bit closer to the right edge - they would provide a nice compositional counterbalance to the tree
- One thing you can not improve in post processing though (except by cloning out), but could have been achieved at the moment of capture: the wire touches the bottom of the closest bale - a little separation goes a long way visually

Hope it helps.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 05:32:47 pm »

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I wish after waiting for the birds to take off they went to the right instead of the left, but elected to leave them leaving the tight side of the scene. I do get why the image works without them, or with them on the right.

I also struggled with the barb wire fence, and have a version with them in focus. I  wish I could go back and give some space between the bales as Slobo mentioned. Something to keep in mind net time.

I appreciate all the comments/suggestions and edits. Thanks everyone.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 01:30:34 am »

And then there is this.....

Peter

Excellent, Peter. Much better balance. Now if only we could get them to cooperate on demand!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 01:45:45 am »

Mike,
Nature is perfect, just not always in the right place....that why we have artists.

Peter

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 04:18:34 am »

I would have moved a bit bit forward to avoid having the fence interfere with the "rolls" (not sure how to call these things in English).

Cheers,
Bernard

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 06:51:12 pm »

It would take a bit of work, but cloning out the fencing would be your best option to keep the slice of snowy foreground. Good luck! It' San image that would be worth it.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up