Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibration Issues (esp. Black Point) with MacBook Pro Retina 13" Display  (Read 12523 times)

jnewell

Hi jnewell

How did you exactly calibrate your monitor?

I use a MBP 13" Retina myself which I calbirated with my Spyder4Elite.
I turned on the Iterative Gray Balance here (only possible with Elite) and the ambient light compensation.

Please be aware that your ambient light is also a big point when having black points as reference.

Once calibrated like this, I can distinguish these black points on the homepage you mentioned from point 8 to the end.

To help out, please describe how did you exactly calibrate your screen.

I'm using the X-Rite i1 Display Pro and i1 Profiler software. 

I've been profiling under dimmed lighting conditions with no electric lights on in my workroom.  I didn't use the ambient lighting portion of the profiling process.  I'll give that a try and see if that further improves things.  Thanks for your input so far.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

I'm using the X-Rite i1 Display Pro and i1 Profiler software. 
I didn't use the ambient lighting portion of the profiling process. 
Don't, it's rather useless and just a marketing driven 'feature'. Control the ambient light, don't adjust for it in the wrong place. IMHO, this has nothing to do with your issue.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rubencarmona

If your ambient light is bright, your display needs to be brighter, if the ambient light is dark, your monitor needs to be less powered in backlight. And what would be the right brightness and contrast for each ambient light situation?

For me it helps to have it adjusted automatically one I keep my ambient light quite the same controlling it as you say. Otherwise, where's the reference?  ???

jnewell

Don't, it's rather useless and just a marketing driven 'feature'. Control the ambient light, don't adjust for it in the wrong place. IMHO, this has nothing to do with your issue.

If your ambient light is bright, your display needs to be brighter, if the ambient light is dark, your monitor needs to be less powered in backlight. And what would be the right brightness and contrast for each ambient light situation?

For me it helps to have it adjusted automatically one I keep my ambient light quite the same controlling it as you say. Otherwise, where's the reference?  ???

Thanks for the replies.  Controlling the ambient light has been my routine for years, so that confirmation is helpful.  I try to standardize both the display brightness and the light levels in my work area (easy at home, sometimes more work when traveling, but seldom a problem). 

As a point that's only partly off topic, I always make sure that my notebooks have all of the automatic brightness adjustments turned off, too.  One of my recent Dells had a particularly annoying ambient lighting automatic adjustment that could be turned off, but had to be turned off in the advanced power settings for each of the power profiles that were set up in the operating system.  Grrrrrr.... ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up