Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpest canvas?  (Read 3300 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Sharpest canvas?
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »

Sorry if this is being discussed before.
To all members:
In your experience which one is the (pigments) canvas that yields the sharpest image both close-up and normal viewing distance?
Thanks in advance.
Eduardo

huguito

Re: Sharpest canvas?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:04:23 pm »

The sharpest details I saw coming out of my printer so far;
Epson exhibition canvas satin
Breathing color Lyve

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:38:07 pm »

Glossy or satin I would say BC Crystalline. Matte would be either BC Lyve or Lexjet Sunset matte.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bgphoto

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:24:05 pm »

I have had really good results with Lexjet Sunset Matte as well.

Ben

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 10:49:43 am »

The best way to find out would be to test the recommended options (as well as other options) as the ones provided may not be as sharp to you as what others see.
There are many different (brands) types available from different companies.

It's also based on your printer, the profile and settings used, etc.

uaiomex

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 02:10:30 pm »

I knew there was going to be different opinions and that's is perfectly ok. Variables are so many either human or printers/substrates. I print on my own 24" 7880 and I have good access to a 44" 9900.
On besides finding the sharpest canvas, are there any that don't need to be sealed?
Thanks guys for the input.
I'd love to hear some more
Eduardo

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:30:26 pm »

I knew there was going to be different opinions and that's is perfectly ok. Variables are so many either human or printers/substrates. I print on my own 24" 7880 and I have good access to a 44" 9900.
On besides finding the sharpest canvas, are there any that don't need to be sealed?
Thanks guys for the input.
I'd love to hear some more
Eduardo

Breathing Color Silverada and Crystalline canvases don't need to be coated. However, when uncoated, they have half the longevity of Lyve or Chromata (which need to be coated), or even less. No idea about the longevity of coated Silverada or Crystalline, though.

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:28:23 pm »

Breathing Color Silverada and Crystalline canvases don't need to be coated. However, when uncoated, they have half the longevity of Lyve or Chromata (which need to be coated), or even less. No idea about the longevity of coated Silverada or Crystalline, though.

Innova Ultra Gloss (which isn't particularly ultra glossy) also claims no need of coating.

Brian A

uaiomex

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:42:14 am »

Thanks, appreciated
Eduardo

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 01:22:56 am »

it seems that the manufacturers of canvases that don't need to be sealed still recommend varnishing them.

I'm a lyve devotee. I print dozens of rolls and frequently of furry creatures where I want to see eyelashes, whiskers and fur in sharp detail.

of course, it's perhaps worth saying that "sharpest canvas" is a little like "spoon most like a fork" - truly sharp images will come from a smooth surface.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »

Breathing Color offered me Crystaline with a custom built profile specifically for my printer for free.  As per BC it's print, wait one hour, then stretch.  I'm pretty excited about that.  I'll keep you posted on the results. I usually print on Lexjet Sunset Select Matte but I've been noticing certain tones and blacks don't match so well as BC's products.  I used to use Lyve for everything but man it was so frustrating to see cotton seeds all the time on those rolls.  I'll keep you posted on my Crystaline experience.

Some Guy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 11:54:14 pm »

Probably sharpest will be the one with the less weave in it, high white gloss, and flatter surface.

I made a couple of canvas prints today using Premier Arts Canvas and Inkpress Glossy Canvas.  The Inkpress is the sharpest, but the weave is tighter (smaller) than the Premier and not as deep either.  The Inkpress has what I would call a heavy gesso applied to the surface verses the Premier with more canvas-like appearance.  Premier is heavier too than the Inkpress.

Personally, I like the Premier since I seem to fetch the most competition awards using it.  Has nice bright specular highlights due to the depth of the heavy canvas too, somewhat like dew drops.  Coupled with their Art Spray Lacquer and it really is nice stuff.  Takes gels well too if you are into that print painting stuff.

Not of fan of BC due to ink bleed on their Silverada Metallic Canvas, aside from odd curl to the edges and bad head strikes occurring in the printer and knocking it askew in the rollers.

Canson had a very nice black as I recall in their newest HD Art Canvas, but don't recall the sharpness as the black was surprisingly black like it had a lacquer sprayed on it.  Might be my next roll purchase.

Really is a personal preference at times.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up