Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad in trouble?  (Read 16538 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Hasselblad in trouble?
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:47:09 am »

http://photorumors.com/2014/05/11/is-hasselblad-in-financial-trouble/

i must say well deserved. I don't mind if there are idiots who buy lunars, but I do when they are failing on their customer base. When i had to get my Hassselblad repaired (broken shutter / baffle) it took them 2 months to do. it even took them two weeks to get me an estimate. totally unacceptable for a professional camera. Additionally the repair was very expensive, but that would be ok if it was done within a couple of days, but as I am relying on my cameras for my business and they claim to offer professional tools, they should also offer professional service.

I can only imagine how pissed off H-user were, when they closed the H system.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Hasselblad in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:56:50 am »

Hi,

Could be true, or just a rumor. I would not be to surprised if Hasselblad would be acquired by another company, if anyone would see a market in MFD.

Best regards
Erik

http://photorumors.com/2014/05/11/is-hasselblad-in-financial-trouble/

i must say well deserved. I don't mind if there are idiots who buy lunars, but I do when they are failing on their customer base. When i had to get my Hassselblad repaired (broken shutter / baffle) it took them 2 months to do. it even took them two weeks to get me an estimate. totally unacceptable for a professional camera. Additionally the repair was very expensive, but that would be ok if it was done within a couple of days, but as I am relying on my cameras for my business and they claim to offer professional tools, they should also offer professional service.

Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 12:12:54 pm »

But they re-opened their system lately with the H4x (which can even be bought without trade-in now) and nobody noticed.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 12:15:17 pm »

True, but all of the H1 and H2 users I know had already sold off their system in the meantime. Good decision to open the system but far too late.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:36:37 pm »

I smell consolidation. Frankly, I would be sorry to see Hasselblad disappear as the cameras are nice, they're kindof the Apple of MF, but it's clear that in MF Phase are as competent at business, ergonomics and innovation as Microsoft in computers.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »

I dislike these type of rumors.  It flies in the face of journalistic standards, where multiple sources are verified before publishing.

This type of rumor is hurtful and honestly who would like this type of comment directed towards them or their business?

There is not a single brand made that I haven't heard a negative rumor, sometimes the guy behind the camera counter, sometimes on the web, but most of those rumors were wrong.

I've heard Canon medium format rumors for 8 years.

I think we all tend to forget that behind a brand name are the people that work.     It's not the brand, or the venture capitalists that concern me, but it is the human capital that gets damaged when these rumors grow.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion,but it's just that . . . an opinion.  

I have my own opinion about equipment and if I honestly reflect back, more than 1/2 of my views change with time.  

This section of the forum has developed a strange tone.  About 1/3 of the participants complain mightily about the cost of specialty cameras, though most of the same people haven't purchased, or used  one in 5 or more years, some never.

I don't get it, because buying any camera is an elective.  No client, no person I know forces anyone into purchasing one brand, or format.

The advanced amateur or professional uses what they think is best and I've never heard of anyone buying a camera with the thought it would be worse that what they currently use, or a wasteful purchase.

IMO

BC

lance_schad

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:44:50 pm »

The one caveat in the article is that the CEO who was responsible for the Lunar was replaced; glad to see that that happen. 

By the way, did I say open the damn H system! 

Most photographers I know that shoot SLRs, including my fiancée, would rather use a Hassy H than a DF+.  They go with with the DF+ because it is too much of a hassle to buy into the H system when you prefer a P1 or Leaf back. 

Joe the H system is 'open' for the H1/H2 and recently the H4x so that you can use Phase One / Mamiya Leaf / Sinar on them.

We have many clients that choose to use their Phase One / Mamiya Leaf backs on their current H systems or purchase the new H4x and new lenses.

I really do not mind what system a prospect or client wants to put a Phase One / Mamiya Leaf on , it is their choice. We encourage people we are speaking with to make arrangements to try the various bodies including legacy systems such as the V or Contax.

The biggest advantage of going with the DF+ is the increased integration with C1Pro / Capture Pilot to control specific functions of the body, current(1/1600 LS) and future lens roadmap and also the cost when bundled with a digital back purchase or upgrade. You can get the DF+ (Li-Ion battery grip/80MM LS for $4000 vs paying $7200 for an H4x body and VF (no li-Ion grip) and no lens.

So it is not really much of a hassle , it is just more expensive.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:25:58 am »

All hail Sonyblad.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:04:20 am »

I´m with Cooter, I wish they will continue to give us additional options in MF. I did not understand there latest products like lunar and always felt it has been a fatal move trying to force H users to buy into the digital part of HB and also restrict the use of viewfinders and HCD lenses by closing the system for off brand backs. We use our Leaf backs with H, RZ and LF. I can only speak for us, we ended up buying some used spare H bodies instead of buying new cameras, lenses and viewfinders. Others dropped the H completely and went for the DF - no need for a crystal ball, but well deserved- hmmm.
As for the complaints of the OP, as a professional photographer you have to accept that your equipment can fail at any moment, usually not timed conveniently so you need to have a backup strategy including occasional longer repaid times. My experience with the HB service has been OK so far, but indeed not really fast, especially if it has to go "home".

Cheers, Ulf

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 07:01:21 am »

As for the complaints of the OP, as a professional photographer you have to accept that your equipment can fail at any moment, usually not timed conveniently so you need to have a backup strategy including occasional longer repaid times. My experience with the HB service has been OK so far, but indeed not really fast, especially if it has to go "home".

Cheers, Ulf

So does that mean, I need a backup for my backup, just for when my main system is in repair for two months?

Anyway, this was the final reason for me to ditch Hasselblad.

BTW, it didn't have to go back to sweden, but even if, within Europe mail is fast. no reason to keep customers waiting for such a long time. My dealer told me they hardly ever get anything back from Hasselblad within 6 weeks.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

jduncan

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:50 am »

All hail Sonyblad.

That will be something.
I agree that the speculation is dangerus: It could become a self-fulfilling prophecy, It could be marketing from some unscrupulous lad. 

In the other hand, Hasselblad gets a bad rap for the closing of the system in the fora, but it is full evident, at this stage (years and years of works and still no definitive camera by face one) that Phase One was having an expensive free ride on Hasselblad's back.

The reason they failed is not because of the "close" itself but because they did not perform the necessary investment to leverage the transition.
It was like "I close the system the others go broke and I get all the people".
That will never happened: Starting from the control that Phase One has over the media to the weakness of the Hasselblad backs of the day.

If that was not enough, Hasselblad has not fixed the communication problem they have.  They build like a million different marketing projects that they quickly abandon. They seem unable to actually execute. Few months ago I was joking with a member of this forum about his new Hasselblad camera, it has been shipping for months but Hasselblad's webpage still listed the camera as not disponible.

Then it came the Sony rebranded debacle.  Not only is nonsense, but they continued on that direction. But the truly telling part is that they don't apear to have win anything of this madness: The H5D-50C does not show any special deal with Sony.

I have been talking the same point from the beginning of the "close".   

Best regards,
J. Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 09:56:01 am »

Seriously. Sony should pick up the pieces for a pittance and build a spankingly awesome MF system out of it. All the basics are in there.
As a Mamiyaleaf owner, I would really welcome some strong competition in the market.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:46:29 am »

Seriously. Sony should pick up the pieces for a pittance and build a spankingly awesome MF system out of it. All the basics are in there.
As a Mamiyaleaf owner, I would really welcome some strong competition in the market.

Synn has a point:

Instead of Hasselblad selling rebadged Sony 35mm cameras with Hassy casings, Sony could resell rebadged Hasselblad H5's with Sony tech inside  :)

I'm sure that if Hasselblad can make wood handles, Sony can engineer a digital back to wrap around their sensor ;)

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:48:20 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Gel

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 01:28:25 pm »

I think the next 5 years will be interesting. The last 5 have been already.

The camera market must grow. That's the nature of the beast.

soren

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »

I been talking to employees at Hasselblad several times and honestly they are not so happy about the Lunar etc cameras as well, but this decisions are over their heads. With around 100 people at Hasselblad they have to work hard to keep the pace of developments. So you can never compare them to larger companies like Canon or Nikon. I have compared the cmos against a 50Mp and I can say the files are much "cleaner" in all ISO, and I know they have news coming for Photokina this year. I do hope that Dalsa will answer to Sony with a larger chip in the size of todays 50 or 60Mp, I think Dalsa must to be able to survive...

Joe Towner

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 04:11:20 pm »

Given that mfd Hass is a FujiBlad, if things were that bad, I would expect Fuji to pick up the H system and leave the Sony projects alone. 
t: @PNWMF

jduncan

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 05:21:29 pm »

Given that mfd Hass is a FujiBlad, if things were that bad, I would expect Fuji to pick up the H system and leave the Sony projects alone. 

Maybe fuji could be an interesting partner for Hasselblad. They do have sensor technology and they build good mirror-less cameras with a personal touch, appeal and quality.
Tools that people love and that are not just more of the same.

They could get some synergies from being big on the high end.

But Sonny, seems to me, could benefit more. They have been unable to really  master the  35" SLR market. Owning MF could give them the prestige they need.

Let see how this goes.
 It's important to stress that there is no solid evidence about backing this rumor.  It could be a ill intended smear, directed to cut H5D-50C sales that could be "Stellar" 

Best regards,
J.Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 06:31:37 pm »

the very few times I have needed service in the US from Hasselblad, it was done very quickly and I have only praise for their efforts.
As a brand, Hasselblad is huge and it may go through another transformation but the brand will live on.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 06:56:34 pm »

I'd love to use my SWC if they made a $3000 FF 6mp to 8mp back for it. I use Pentax 645D for MF digital. But my workhorse cams are Leica M and Fuji X. The $30K to $40K Hassy and Phase cams are for you landscapers. They are out of the budget of us lowly street photogs.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »

These goofy cams Hassy came out with are made by camera fondlers and marketed to camera fondlers.

Leica perfected what is needed in a good street cam eons ago. Although it looks like Leica is headed off-track with some of its new offerings.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up