Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Debunking the Myth  (Read 5335 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Debunking the Myth
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 04:52:53 pm »

Oh dear. Shame, shame, Slobodan.
No! Really, his was one of the more meaningful comments in this thread.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 05:03:10 pm »

If you're constantly asking yourself - Does the dough feel right? Does the dough feel right? - I'll get my bread elsewhere :-)

I am. And I am an outstanding baker.

So it's not -- "Be open, be receptive. [Bake] when you think it's right. You can't do it consciously." ?

Also, I think you are completely on the wrong track to propose that mastery tends toward unconscious activity.

Not "unconscious" but subconscious.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 05:10:34 pm »

Sorry, Russ, forgot to add a winking smiley, but I think Eric got it anyway.

The arrival of bread finally provided some red meat to the thread (I hope I am getting my metaphors right) ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:42:44 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 05:30:51 pm »

(I hope I am getting my metaphors right) ;D

Maybe mixing metaphors is like mixing dough. Sometimes you have to bang on the table.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 06:45:17 pm »

Baking is not street photography. I know you're just having fun, Isaac, but your track record as an annoying pedant makes it hard to share your pleasure.

Isaac

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 07:50:19 pm »

Baking is not street photography.

Were your comments about baking merely a distraction from the muddle you've made with -- "Shoot when you think it's right. You can't do it consciously." -- and -- "we need to strive to be conscious of what matters".

Please just try to express those thoughts more clearly.

It seems inconceivable that HCB was not intensely conscious of what was in the frame.

In the case of "Behind the Gare St. Lazare" it seems as though Cartier-Bresson took the time to frame the scene as best he could, and then took several photos of puddle-jumpers. (But "I couldn't see a thing through the viewer" so what he hoped to be in the frame may not have been what was in the frame.)

We can always say how lucky that there was a puddle, and a gap in the fence, and puddle-jumpers, and any of the other contingencies of a contingent world. We could say how unlucky (or lucky) not to get the puddle-jumper in focus.

amolitor

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 08:10:36 pm »

You have made the muddle, Isaac, by selecting a phrase here and a sentence there. Very little I write makes sense when it is hacked to pieces. Time to let it go.

Isaac

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »

There's nothing particularly remarkable about a sequence of separate comments becoming a muddle.

If you don't wish to express those thoughts more clearly, then you don't.

amolitor

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 10:50:03 am »

Isaac, no offense meant personally here, but statistically speaking from my perspective, what is going on here is this:

- I am talking to someone who doesn't care at all about what I am saying, who wants only to count coup, and who thinks I am a moron
- Thus, if I spend 10-20 minutes organizing my thoughts and writing them down carefully, you will spend 5-30 seconds skimming what I write
- Then you will nitpick some imagined contradiction or whatever
- Then you will award yourself 1 point in the imagined competition
- Finally you will see if you can get me to spend another 10-20 minutes further clarifying

This is a losing game for me, and one I cannot win. I would "win" if I was able to explain to you what I meant, but since you're not actually listening and don't care what I mean, this is actually impossible. Not actually "you" but the statistically most likely "you" in a scenario of this sort.

I am, I trust you will understand, not interested in playing.

If you are in fact one of the rare people who's actually interested in what I wrote, well, I am sorry. I don't re-write things any more. You will have to go over my remarks more carefully and attempt to puzzle out what I meant. It's all there.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 11:07:20 am »

This is what Isaac does instead of going out and shooting pictures, Andrew. You're spinning your wheels.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 11:11:14 am »

For crying out loud... stop the pissing contest! You are both unbelievably tiresome.  This started as an interesting thread, totally ruined by your asinine childish feud. 

Isaac

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 05:55:11 pm »

If you are in fact one of the rare people who's actually interested in what I wrote, well, I am sorry. I don't re-write things any more.

While I might well puzzle over the words of Cartier-Bresson, I hope you'll understand that if you can't be bothered expressing your thoughts more clearly then I can't be bothered puzzling over your words.

Rand47

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 08:26:48 pm »

Isaac, no offense meant personally here, but statistically speaking from my perspective, what is going on here is this:

- I am talking to someone who doesn't care at all about what I am saying, who wants only to count coup, and who thinks I am a moron
- Thus, if I spend 10-20 minutes organizing my thoughts and writing them down carefully, you will spend 5-30 seconds skimming what I write
- Then you will nitpick some imagined contradiction or whatever
- Then you will award yourself 1 point in the imagined competition
- Finally you will see if you can get me to spend another 10-20 minutes further clarifying

This is a losing game for me, and one I cannot win. I would "win" if I was able to explain to you what I meant, but since you're not actually listening and don't care what I mean, this is actually impossible. Not actually "you" but the statistically most likely "you" in a scenario of this sort.

I am, I trust you will understand, not interested in playing.

If you are in fact one of the rare people who's actually interested in what I wrote, well, I am sorry. I don't re-write things any more. You will have to go over my remarks more carefully and attempt to puzzle out what I meant. It's all there.

Andrew,

The "Ignore This User" function works wonderfully well.  "Poof!" 

Regards,
Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up