Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Louvre at Sunset  (Read 3362 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Louvre at Sunset
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »

Hmmm... tilted building... I do not know, I am often correcting verticals, but somehow, in this case, it does not bother me that much. Perhaps because there are so many diagonals and geometric and perspective distortions in the image that it blends in better?

On the other hand, if corrected, as below, I am losing a bit at the edges, and it makes the image a bit cramped, without room to breathe. What say you?

I would definitely correct for verticals.

Not doing it makes the image way more snapshotyy than it deserves.

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 12:06:38 am »

francois

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 07:45:24 am »

I'd vote for the original, loosing edges is not worth having perfect geometry. It's a very pleasant shot, I love it.
Francois

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 10:30:32 am »

I prefer the original.  The photograph is more about the light and being economically inclusive compositionally than it is about the buildings.  The dramatic tree line reflected at the bottom of the glass is good for the scene in general, but bad for the architecture because it emphasizes the gutter.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:49:02 am by Bruce Cox »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 02:47:41 pm »

Sorry, but I couldn't resist  ;)

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 04:39:30 pm »

Thanks, Dave. It seems to be losing less in real estate than LR auto correction. What did you do?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 07:30:33 pm »

Thanks, Dave. It seems to be losing less in real estate than LR auto correction. What did you do?

Ah, that would be a secret..!

No of course it isn’t  ;D  All I did in PS, was to first try using puppet warp, but that just seemed to smear the detail, so I Ctr;+Alt+z’ed my way back out of that, then I duplicated the background layer (Ctrl+j), put a selection over the part of the shot that seemed to be effected by lens distortion on the main part of the building to the right, but that also included the top right and all way down to the bottom of the shot, to end up with a selection for about a third of the shot on the right. I then used Ctrl+t for transform and skewed the selection on the upper layer to the left (Ctrl+shift+ top middle transform handle) until the building edge to the left looked straight, then using the bottom right corner handle with Ctrl+shift to pull the right side of the building straight from the bottom. I then applied a mask to the corrected upper layer and blended it back into the background layer in a way that kept the best of the detail form both layers. I then cropped out your sig from the background layer, as it had now moved and distorted a little on the upper layer and pasted it onto the upper layer after doing a selection and content aware fill over the old distorted sig first to remove it. I then flattened the image, selected all (ctrl+a) and levelled out the horizon by pulling the top left hand handle with Ctrl+shift to the left a little and then stretching the bottom left corner down a little to square everything back up.

Not a great explanation I know, sorry! But I suppose it does go to show that the old 'do it yourself' methods can still beat the 'auto' methods some of the time  ;)

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 07:40:43 pm »

I knew it would take a major reconstructive surgery!

Thanks again, Dr. Hickey!

stamper

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 04:05:57 am »

A simper method is to convert the background layer to a smart object and duplicate the background layer. Then go to Edit>Transform>Skew and pull at the corners till everything is OK. This is non destructive - visually - and no cropping is necessary. :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 06:21:50 am »

A simper method is to convert the background layer to a smart object and duplicate the background layer. Then go to Edit>Transform>Skew and pull at the corners till everything is OK. This is non destructive - visually - and no cropping is necessary. :)

Robert, I don't really get what you mean, not the use of a smart object etc, but the fact that you say you can transform and skew the image without any need to crop into it - I think the exercise this is now turning into, is to see how well the lens distortion in the original image, can be repaired whilst still keeping as many of the pixels as possible from the original frame - any chance you could have a go with your method using smart objects etc and upload it here to show me/us what you mean, thanks.

If there is a better way, I really am keen to learn more  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:24:06 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

stamper

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 07:34:20 am »

Dave, I don't think that smart objects work on a jpeg? Besides I am not into downloading other photographer's work and editing it. You are obviously skilled enough in PS to try the method. What happens when you use the method is that interpolation takes place which will technically degrade the image but not visually. I use it regularly to straighten up the awkward images without the need to crop any of the image.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:12 am »

Dave, I don't think that smart objects work on a jpeg? Besides I am not into downloading other photographer's work and editing it. You are obviously skilled enough in PS to try the method. What happens when you use the method is that interpolation takes place which will technically degrade the image but not visually. I use it regularly to straighten up the awkward images without the need to crop any of the image.

No probs Robert. It wasn't a challenge BTW, it's just that I am genuinely interested in learning any tricks or tweaks that may have passed me by  ;)

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up