Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firing Phase One H101 from computer without mounting  (Read 817 times)

KingRoach

• http://photographeronbudget.blogspot.co.uk
Firing Phase One H101 from computer without mounting
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:38:52 pm »

Hello.

I've recently acquired this Phase One H101 digital back in Hasselblad H mount (and body design) and I intend to use it on a Fuji GX680 and/or any large format system. I was also hoping to try many self-mounted lenses, and for that purpose, I was hoping I could just use the software to capture an image via FireWire.

Needless to say I'm a noob to digital backs. I did a lot of googling and found out the Phase One H backs need to be woken up because they use Kodak chips, but I though the Firewire connection should be able to wake them up, otherwise why would the software have a Capture button? (Using Capture One DB)

What I did so far was install Capture One DB on a Max OS X and connect the firewire. The digital back beeped and I saw green LED's. The software recognised the back. I click on 'capture' on the computer but I get nothing out of it.

I hope somebody can make this clear to me. At least I need to test the back and make sure it works before I buy the right adapters to the right cameras. Is there a way to fire the cable so I can inspect the picture (looking for dead pixels, for example) as it it without mounting and without sync cables?

To summarise:

Can you fire the back without it being mounted? What do you need to do that?
And what do you need for the 2-shot mode by which you fire once to wake it up, and fire again to capture? They say a "regular" cable release. Do they mean a Phase One proprietary one, or something else? There are three ports on this back other than firewire: one must be flash output signal, one is a 3pin one, and one looks like legacy cable release.

I hope I dont' sound confusing, and hope someone can give me a quick answer as I want to test this while I can return it in case it's defective.

Thanks

KingRoach

• http://photographeronbudget.blogspot.co.uk
Re: Firing Phase One H101 from computer without mounting
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:20:36 am »

Hi again. I got a capture by two-shot mode.

Connected a regular battery powered release  to the port on the right and took the shot twice, once to wake up (LED red lights blink) and then again to capture.

The image transfers to Capture One DB but it is all black.

Is this normal?

Shouldnt the capture be washed out completely white because the sensor is exposed with no body or lens?

Pages: [1]   Go Up