Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 papers quick comparison  (Read 1488 times)

huguito

3 papers quick comparison
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:40:44 pm »

This is not intended to sound like a serious test, I just don't print much, just for myself, so when buying a couple of rolls I want to make sure to like the paper or canvas before pulling the trigger.

I just run a quick test between 3 fine art papers from Epson before ordering.

Epson Hot Press Bright, Epson textured Watercolor,Epson Cold press Natural

I profiled all 3 with color munki, the profiles are made with Photo Black, since its the one I keep in the 9600 almost all the time.

Cold Press Natural; The color of the paper is very nice, lovely contrast, Feels very nice and classy in my hand holding the print.
I hate the texture, is something about the texture that doesn't look right to me.

Watercolor; Comes a little washed, I should try to print the same image again with extra ink density, ppaer color is very pretty. Feels to harsh in my hand, almost like sandpaper. Not too hapy with this one.

Hot press bright, I like this one the best, feels like velvet in my hand, nice color and contrast. The image I used, a sepia print with a couple of dark areas and smooth gradations, looks the best on this paper to me.

I would love to find something with just a tiny bit more texture than the HPB without giving up the other qualities, if I can't this one is nice enough to commit and buy a couple of rolls.

Hugo

howardm

Re: 3 papers quick comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:11:19 pm »

I would suggest getting a Canson and Hahn. sampler (I think Hahn. has a special matte sampler version).  Both
mfgr's make a wide variety of interesting textured papers you might like.

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:42:37 pm »

I would love to find something with just a tiny bit more texture than the HPB without giving up the other qualities, if I can't this one is nice enough to commit and buy a couple of rolls.

Canson BFK Rives is between bright and natural and with a little more texture; less texture with ink than before printing. If you really need bright, then Breathing Color Elegance Velvet.

Brian A

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:42:52 pm »

FYI - Printing photo black on matte paper will come out substantially lighter, like a gray, causing a substantial loss of contrast.

Conversely, printing matte black on glossy paper won't stick.

(At least, that's what happens with the 9900's blacks.)
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

huguito

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:52:15 pm »

Hi guys

Darlingm. You would be surprised how close to matte ink look you can get printing on photo ink over matt paper if you profile the paper that way.

Thanks for the recomendation, I have a samler of Han and Canson, its just that they have 2 sheets of each, and I need at least 2 sheets to profile the paper before start to print to test. But its certainly some really beautiful stuff on the Han sample set I got.

The BC Velvet looks super stiff on the samples I have, I am afraid of having curling issues already mentioned in other posts recently.

howardm

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »

So, dare I say, that if you going to the level of effort to do custom profiles vs. using stock, then buy N sample packs.  You're
going to make a substantial investment in paper, whats an extra $30 for more samples or just winnow down to the interesting papers and get a 8.5x11 pack and print, print, print

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:30:18 pm »

...Darlingm. You would be surprised how close to matte ink look you can get printing on photo ink over matt paper if you profile the paper that way....

Profiling it will certainly help.  But, there should be quite a difference in L-min on matte paper using matte vs photo black ink, which should translate to quite a gamut difference.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

huguito

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:05:09 am »

I did some test in the past using matte papers, printing with the matte ink or the photo ink.
Once profiled properly, and coated, I would say the difference I saw was very very tiny, and only visible if you put them next to each other.
For someone like me, that only print for fun, the switch from one black ink to the other, with the huge waste of time and ink, is not worth the time and expense.

To add to the previous tests.
I just did the same print on the Epson Enhanced matte, using the Epson canned profile. Looks very nice, just as nice as the hot press paper
Pages: [1]   Go Up