Poll

Why does the color representation say the image is uncalibrated when I change the profile from RGB to CMYK?

Other possible solution when saving a file
- 0 (0%)
Another way to convert to CMYK without losing the proper colors
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour Management  (Read 5034 times)

toni.strope

Colour Management
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:55 pm »

I am trying to send a file to an online printer and they need to have a CMYK file, so when I went to Edit-->Convert to Profile Advanced--> then changed the profile to U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, and when I saved the file as a .jpeg it is coming up that the color representation is uncalibrated which is causing the black & white image to look really green. Can anyone help with this issue, to make the color representation not say that it is uncalibrated, I don't think it should say anything for color representation.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Colour Management
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 01:59:08 pm »

I am trying to send a file to an online printer and they need to have a CMYK file, so when I went to Edit-->Convert to Profile Advanced--> then changed the profile to U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, and when I saved the file as a .jpeg it is coming up that the color representation is uncalibrated which is causing the black & white image to look really green. Can anyone help with this issue, to make the color representation not say that it is uncalibrated, I don't think it should say anything for color representation.
You need the actual CMYK output profile from the print provider for their CMYK process!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:29:48 pm »

Is that Photoshop or Photoshop Elements?

toni.strope

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 03:37:52 pm »

It's Photoshop

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:02:37 pm »

Andrew is right about using a specific profile for the actual printer, but from your screen shot there seems to be an additional problem. I'm not a windows user so I'm not sure what it means when it reports color representation 'uncalibrated.' To me it sounds like you didn't attach the profile when you saved the image. You'll want to do this once you are using the correct CMYK profile.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:43:41 pm »

Hi,

I somehow missed the screenshot. It is not an issue. What happens is that Windows is not a color managed OS, so it either reports sRGB or "uncalibrated".

The only way to see the right colors in images with a color space different than sRGB on Windows is to use a color managed application or browser.

The windows explorer is not a color managed application.

Having said that, you want to convert to the specific CMYK profile from the printer provider to get the best quality.

Regards

Simon Garrett

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:11:23 pm »

The Windows "file properties" window shown by the OP does not report an embedded profile, nor reliably report the colour space.  I think it probably reports the value of the Exif "ColorSpace" tag, if present.  That tag often isn't used, even when there's an embedded profile.  I guess that's why it then reports "uncalibrated".  Whatever, you can't use Windows file properties to show the profile.

You need to use something like ExifTool or PhotoMe, or something else that can show whether there's an embedded profile. 

Some Windows applications are colour-managed, e.g. the photo viewer (from Vista onwards), but they may not cope with CMYK profiles, nor can many other programs.  I don't know if that's why the image looks green.
Pages: [1]   Go Up