Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Papers for Epson 3880 Auto Feed?  (Read 993 times)

badmonkeyart

Papers for Epson 3880 Auto Feed?
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:40:20 am »

Hi,

I need to print about 650  8"x10" prints on a matte fine art stock.  (They're already sold, so I need to do them all quickly.)

The images are just free-standing elements (not full bleed) so they won't use a huge amount of ink. 

I don't want to use my 7880 because of the wear and tear (it's five years old) and also I'm thinking it will be a pain to feed all the prints through it, so I'm considering one of two options:

either find a low cost giclée print shop to run these  or purchase a 3880 and use the auto feed.  (I'd use it for other projects as well.)

I like the 3880 option, but only if it's realistic to use the autofeed.  Can anyone recommend a matte stock for color images that comes in an 8x10 size and that runs successfully in the 3880 auto feed?  It could have a slight texture (like watercolor paper) or be pretty smooth (like enhanced matte). 

Thanks so much!

P.S.  I'm attaching some crappy snapshots of the sort of images that I'm printing (they're actually on white backgrounds.)

howardm

Re: Papers for Epson 3880 Auto Feed?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:52:14 am »

according to the 3880 User's Guide (available online), this is the one of the only Epson paper that is avail in 8x10, matte and will *supposedly* work in the auto-feeder (max 30 sheets and color me skeptical) and it's dirt cheap.

Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/220321-REG/Epson_S041467_Matte_Paper_Heavyweight.html

badmonkeyart

Papers for Epson 3880 Auto Feed?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:29:13 am »

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that Presentation Paper Matte paper isn't appropriate for giclée prints.  I need something that is at least as archival as enhanced matte.  These are prints that go in limited edition prints.  I'd like to keep costs down, but not quite to that level.  I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has found a paper that works for them.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:47:13 am »

IMO, you should consider using the 7xxx printer and layout side-by-side.  faster, cheaper and much broader selection of papers since almost nothing is 8x10 (and then consider the cost of the 3880 and its ink).

You'd need 4-5 50' rolls of 24" paper

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:12:10 am »

I have had no success with matte paper in auto feed. Paper thickness is 0.08 - 0.27 mm for auto feeder.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Dan Vincent

• Daniel Vincent Aviation Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:25:57 am »

For this quantity you're better off doing a litho run. Even on quality stock it'll cost you far less than the 3880, ink, and paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up