Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1D X  (Read 2641 times)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
Canon EOS 1D X
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:49:59 pm »

Hi,

The new baby arrived today and I have a long weekend for testing it  ;D

Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

francois

Re: Canon EOS 1D X
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:48:23 am »

Let us know how it works…
Francois

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:26:09 pm »

Hi Francois,

Well, as you know I have an 11 year old EOS 1Ds. Yesterday I charged the batteries and switched it oin. First you need to input date hour year whatever.

The next step I made was to look at the menu and I have to say that is was so similar to my eleven year old 1Ds, evem more simple and more intuitive that I was able to understand how it is build up, etc. OK. The 1D X has a lot more features the the 1Ds but the important buttons are all on the same place as the old one so it is very easy and quick to get shooting for the first days.

What overwhelmed me was the functionality of the AF. Here I will have to test a lot so I get to know how all those possibilities of the AF work.

That is all what I can say about the 1D X.

The build is impecable like the old one, feels nice in the hand and what else eshgould I say. I will try to test it this long weekend and for the 16th to 19th of May I will join some friends for a shooting session and then I can say more.

The mahual is 435 pages long and the special AF user guide is 47 pages long. So a lot for reading :-)

So far so good  ::)

¿ Why did I buy it ? ... US $ 6,799.00 are no 3 peanuts ...

Very simple, if the images are no good it is not the cameras fault, it is the guy standing behind it ...  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:30:08 pm by Rainer SLP »
 I am here for

francois

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 07:03:06 am »

Rainer,
Thanks for the short report. It's true that modern AF systems are complex beasts to understand.
The 1Dx is a superb camera and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it.

Good shooting!
Francois

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:13:32 pm »

For those who might be interested  ??? here my first light with the 1D X at 12fps. Sun was 63° Altitude shining towards me.

Lens EF 500mm f4 L IS USM (first generation) with extender 2x, IS mode 2, shot from a window leaning on a bean bag. Distance to bird 10-12 meters,

No colour adjustment, no Levels, no curves, no shadows/highlights adjust, no nothing except Smart Sharpen 300% at 1 pixel radius and full image additional Unsharp mask 100% 0.5 pixel radius. Thats it.

100% crop

Full image

Image info
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:19:22 pm by Rainer SLP »
 I am here for

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 11:59:57 am »

The 1D X Autofocus system is exquisitely tunable for various situations and is far and away the best AF system that Canon has put into a DSLR. Make sure you look up Canon's whiote papers on how to set it up.

Enjoy.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »

The 1D X Autofocus system is exquisitely tunable for various situations and is far and away the best AF system that Canon has put into a DSLR. Make sure you look up Canon's whiote papers on how to set it up.

Enjoy.

Hi Ellis,

Thanks for the tip. Yes that is what I am doing but it is so overwhelming that one has to digest page by page. I already downloaded the 47 page PDF from Canon's site. Will print it, make a booklet out of it and will take it everywhere I am and read it as many times as I can.

Also I would say one has to start shooting see how the AF racts, search for the situations and adapt the focusing settings and so on. There is going to be a lot of Trial and error involved.  :-\

Especially when Birding one has to find the best adjustment hjow to lock on a bird moving behind branches and from time to time just looking out for an instant.

The only bad thing are the 12 fps. The cards get full too fast  ;D I hace 2 32GB cards right now in the camera. The ones which write at 150 MB/s, ¿ Type 7 ?

Thanks for the comment.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:16:34 pm by Rainer SLP »
 I am here for

francois

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 07:38:34 am »

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Francois

allegretto

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:55:11 pm »

Camera LUST… is it wrong?

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 07:21:08 pm »

Camera LUST… is it wrong?

Absolutely not ...
 I am here for

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 11:09:08 am »

I have been making do with a standard  (flat) Arca-Swiss type QR plate from Really Right Stuff  for my 1DX but after a couple of weeks of going back and forth lookign at different manufacturers (RRS, Jobu, Kirk, Sunwayfoto, other Chinese and Korean manufacturers) "L" shaped QR bracket, I decided to pul lthe trigger and order a new one from ...

The Really Right Stuff B1DX-L, even though it was the more expensive option. My reasoning behind my choice is slightly illogical as all of these products do essentially the same thing, but in the end what swayed me was the  attention to detail. I am not thrilled that it doesn't have a 1/4-20 threaded mount in the base plate but I think I can live with that,

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:40 am »

I have been making do with a standard  (flat) Arca-Swiss type QR plate from Really Right Stuff  for my 1DX but after a couple of weeks of going back and forth lookign at different manufacturers (RRS, Jobu, Kirk, Sunwayfoto, other Chinese and Korean manufacturers) "L" shaped QR bracket, I decided to pul lthe trigger and order a new one from ...

The Really Right Stuff B1DX-L, even though it was the more expensive option. My reasoning behind my choice is slightly illogical as all of these products do essentially the same thing, but in the end what swayed me was the  attention to detail. I am not thrilled that it doesn't have a 1/4-20 threaded mount in the base plate but I think I can live with that,

I ended up with a RRS L-Plate also. The 2-piece design with an Allen wrench held in its cubbyhole by magnets is well done, but seems a bit over the top. Time will tell if I ever remove the very thick "L" section on the left hand side of the camera, but the ability to do so is why I got it. The camera's design necessitates that very thick section. Most of the time this camera is on a tripod-mounted lens where no plate at all is needed, but I've got to have the ability to mount the camera to a tripod in horizontal or vertical orientations sometimes. Mostly, the "L" part isn't needed, and I have a fantasy of being able to reduce the bulk of this thing when that's the case.
- Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up