Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area  (Read 3505 times)

gordorad

Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area
« on: May 07, 2014, 08:33:06 am »

I am going to be staying in Kanab for one week in June.(with two days prior staying in Moab)..  With so many great areas to shoot, (and several I"m not aware of)....I'm looking for a bit of guidance/suggestions.  Thus far, this is where I plan on shooting.

1)  Zion NP
2)  Bryce Canyon  (full moon rise)..
3)  Antelope Canyon (lower)
4)  Coyote Buttes North (the Wave)..and yes, I have a pass! 
5)  Wirepass Trail (Buckskin Gulch access)
6)  Perhaps the White Bluffs area
7)  North Rim GC

What other "must see" areas am I missing?   I will be there for a full moon.  Any suggestion for sunset shots / night shots in and around Kanab will be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

Miles

Re: Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:25:58 am »

Since you will be visiting Page, Horseshoe bend is a classic.

I stayed in Kanab and visited the Wave three months ago.  What a beautiful area!  There are several features to check out when you are visiting the Paria Canyon including Buckskin Canyon, hamburger rock, rainbow rock, Fatali's bone yard and a few arches.  There is a photographer, Robert Hitchman, who sells a paper and/or electronic guide (Photograph America Newsletter) for the area that is quite good.  I think it would be worth a few minutes searching the internet to come up with a list of extra side trips on your wave visit.

Take plenty of water and sunscreen as the sun reflects off the sand and rocks making it hot.  Also you can get sand blasted as the wind picked up in the afternoon when I was there and that fine sand will go airborne.

Have a great trip.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:12:01 pm by Miles »

mshea

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:21:10 am »

Coyote Buttes South is certainly worth exploring, and passes for the next day were readily available the times I've visited. I'm assuming you have Laurent Martres' three volumes: "Photographing the Southwest". If not, buy them!

Merrill

Frank Sirona

• Frank Sirona landscape photography
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:30:50 pm »

Grosvenor Arch, up Cottonwood Canyon Road. Driving this road alone is worth it.
Frank Sirona. Large format photography of the Desert Southwest.

www.franksirona.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:01:40 am »

IMO, Zion is overrated. I loved visiting but not one of the hundreds of photos I took has made it to the printer. My fault, maybe, but there it is.

Kodachrome state park is worth a visit (as the name suggests!).

Bryce is fantastic. Be sure to take some of the hikes down into the canyon, looking up at things is a whole different perspective.

Snow Canyon state park near St Georges is lovely, not sure if you will be near there.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 06:36:01 pm »

Bryce is fantastic. Be sure to take some of the hikes down into the canyon, looking up at things is a whole different perspective.

I second that. Bryce Canyon is the most stunning, magical place I've ever visited.

Jeremy

Frank Sirona

• Frank Sirona landscape photography
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 07:59:03 pm »

I second that. Bryce Canyon is the most stunning, magical place I've ever visited.

Jeremy

YES! In particular early in the morning, before sunrise and shortly thereafter, when the crowds are still sitting at the breakfast table.
Frank Sirona. Large format photography of the Desert Southwest.

www.franksirona.com

gordorad

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 04:31:38 pm »

Thanks...I've been to both Bryce and Zion, but have not "hiked" in them. 

Interesting to hear Zion is over rated.  That is the first I've heard a negative about it!

G.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 02:36:28 pm »

IMO, Zion is overrated. I loved visiting but not one of the hundreds of photos I took has made it to the printer. My fault, maybe, but there it is.

No offense, but you're nuts. <-- Hyperbole Alert!!   ;D

The East Zion Plateau is perhaps one of the most photogenic places on the planet.

Here's my personal opinion of the subject of Zion vs Bryce. Bryce is ALOT more straight forward place to photograph. Show up at any of the main overlooks at the right time of day (generally sunrise) and wait. Good things will happen for even the novice photographer.

Zion (particularly the main canyon) isn't like that. The high, narrow canyon walls can make the subjects difficult to find and compose with the "proper" light on them.  Generally you find that 1/2 your subject is over exposed, and the other 1/2 under exposed. It seems counter intuitive give such the grand scale of the place, but quiet frequently, the best "landscapes" there are the Micro landscapes that subtlety reveal themselves to those that get off the beaten trail and look for those type of opportunities.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:43:53 pm by Lonnie Utah »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »

Just to be clear, I was not being negative about Zion. It's a gorgeous place and I would gladly go back. It's just that I did not get any memorable photos there - whereas at Bryce, Kodachrome, Snow Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, etc. I did. Perhaps this speaks more to my skills than anything else, but that was my experience.

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »

Zion - I found the path up to Angel's Landing pretty photogenic + head on north along the West Rim Trail:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:16:56 pm by markadams99 »

mkihne

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 12:56:07 pm »

No offense, but you're nuts. <-- Hyperbole Alert!!   ;D

The East Zion Plateau is perhaps one of the most photogenic places on the planet.

Here's my personal opinion of the subject of Zion vs Bryce. Bryce is ALOT more straight forward place to photograph. Show up at any of the main overlooks at the right time of day (generally sunrise) and wait. Good things will happen for even the novice photographer.

Zion (particularly the main canyon) isn't like that. The high, narrow canyon walls can make the subjects difficult to find and compose with the "proper" light on them.  Generally you find that 1/2 your subject is over exposed, and the other 1/2 under exposed. It seems counter intuitive give such the grand scale of the place, but quiet frequently, the best "landscapes" there are the Micro landscapes that subtlety reveal themselves to those that get off the beaten trail and look for those type of opportunities.

I concur.  Also, if you ride the buses up and down the main canyon, I can see why a person might come away disappointed. A walk in the narrows itself will take a major part of a day to do the full 3+ miles, which is required to get to the best parts for photography, imho. Zion requires several days of exploration to appreciate fully.  Kolob, The Subway, Angels Landing, East canyon overlook from the rim and the East Entrance plateau are outstanding photographic opportunities. With limited time I would concentrate on the east entrance road as mentioned above. Zion is definitely not suited to "drive by" shooting.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 01:31:49 pm »

And I would be remiss if I didn't post this here. THE BEST guide to Zion that I've ever found, and it's free!!!

Joe's Guide to Zion

sierraman

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:15 pm »

And I would be remiss if I didn't post this here. THE BEST guide to Zion that I've ever found, and it's free!!!

Joe's Guide to Zion

Agreed!  :)

mkihne

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 10:18:58 pm »

Agreed!  :)

Double agree. Joe Braun's website contains images few have seen or even heard off in and about the canyon especially if you have some technical experience. 

SeanBK

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 11:35:02 pm »

Gordorad - The O.P.
  From Kanab a short drive to Boat loading area for a boat ride on Lake Powell might give you a good break & a different perspective of the Utah & Az area. I just got back from there & it was great. A further east but on your way to Moab, unless u're taking RT 15north to RT 70east to Moab. But if you drive from Page > Monument Valley > Mexican Hat > "House on Fire" Mule Canyon > Arches > Canyonlands & to Moab. Which I just did & it was worthwhile & memorable and most certainly Photo-op.
 Good luck & have a great time.
   Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up