Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eagle Creek Sunrise  (Read 2752 times)

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
Eagle Creek Sunrise
« on: May 06, 2014, 12:52:58 pm »

First set of images shooting with a new Formatt-Hitech ND filter set.  Canon 6D, Canon 17-40 f/4 L - f/11, 4s, ISO 100 - 6 stop IRND + 2 stop reverse ND grad. Setting up the shot first with the 6 stop ND to get the main exposure, then adding the RG to bring down brighter horizon.

I'm pretty pleased with this to start. I made the jump to using these after watching a series of videos showing a number of MF shooters using them. Any comments on the technicals of the image are very welcome.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Eagle Creek Sunrise
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 01:22:08 pm »

I would consider equalizing the white balance between the water surface and the sky, as it is supposed to reflect it.

Dave Pluimer

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:52:13 pm »

I would consider equalizing the white balance between the water surface and the sky, as it is supposed to reflect it.

Great lesson. I used a grad filter in Lightroom that had small temp nudge (a preset I created) on the sky, but not the water. More like this then?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:01:31 am by Dave Pluimer »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:34:08 pm »

I would personally go even more, from cyan/green toward blue/magenta. However, I wasn't there, so do not know what might be the reason the reflections differs so much from the sky. I also believe that water surfaces should be at least ⅓ of a stop darker than the sky, otherwise does not look natural.

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 03:58:11 am »

I would only darken the water, it seems a bit unreal as it is.
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 04:03:24 am »

Very good shot. As for the sky reflection on the water, one has to consider the long exposure effect and blur?

Dave Pluimer

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 07:02:37 am »

v3

Thanks again for the input and the education.

Dave Pluimer

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:04:40 am »

I would only darken the water, it seems a bit unreal as it is.

Can you expand on this? What about it seems unreal (or was it only the water you were referring to?) The reason I ask is that I'm trying to get more towards real.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 11:51:36 am »

Dave, pardon me for belaboring this point about WB difference. I understand that here is probably a certain artistic attraction in the difference, i.e., the contrasting warm/cold tonalities, between the sky and the water reflection. So, if you like it, keep it by all means. I might even like it, as it is unusual.

However, if you goal is "towards real," then allow me to demonstrate what I mean. I have a similar image:

November Sky Reflection by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr

Now, to illustrate what I mean, this is an adjustment made to mimic your photo:

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 02:07:49 pm »

Dave, and everyone else who reads this type of discussions, I think that at this point I need to explain something about my comments in general. I certainly do not have any illusions as to having enough authority of being a judge of what is "right" or "wrong" with posted images. Nor should my comments be perceived as lecturing, my occasional writing style notwithstanding. I've written a lot of posts on LuLa, some hurriedly, and not always paying attention to wording as to avoid the impression of lecturing. All I can do, or trying to do, is to offer my opinion along the lines: if this is what you are trying to achieve, then try this, or that, etc.

As evident in the OP example, I might indicate in which direction to go if the goal is "realistic" or believability, however, it does not guarantee that if something is believable, it is attractive at the same time. Sometimes a "wrong" approach is right ultimately. Only you, the author, should decide which way the image goes. And just to repeat, even if the OP image is "wrong" white balance-wise, it still has a certain unique quality that might ultimately make it more successful than the "right" one.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 08:30:52 am »

Dave, and everyone else who reads this type of discussions, I think that at this point I need to explain something about my comments in general. I certainly do not have any illusions as to having enough authority of being a judge of what is "right" or "wrong" with posted images. Nor should my comments be perceived as lecturing, my occasional writing style notwithstanding. I've written a lot of posts on LuLa, some hurriedly, and not always paying attention to wording as to avoid the impression of lecturing. All I can do, or trying to do, is to offer my opinion along the lines: if this is what you are trying to achieve, then try this, or that, etc.

As evident in the OP example, I might indicate in which direction to go if the goal is "realistic" or believability, however, it does not guarantee that if something is believable, it is attractive at the same time. Sometimes a "wrong" approach is right ultimately. Only you, the author, should decide which way the image goes. And just to repeat, even if the OP image is "wrong" white balance-wise, it still has a certain unique quality that might ultimately make it more successful than the "right" one.

Hear! Hear! I think you speak for many of us with this post, Slobodan.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

francois

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 07:36:07 am »

Can you expand on this? What about it seems unreal (or was it only the water you were referring to?) The reason I ask is that I'm trying to get more towards real.

I'm sorry Dave but I've been away from the net. Slobodan explained the issue in much greater detail and with a great exemple.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up