Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need recommendations for PhotoTex setup on iPF5100, 6100, 8100, 9100  (Read 2341 times)

stevesawusch

We have the iPFx100 lineup of printers. I am trying to create a profile for the PhotoTex paper. When I printed the color swatches with special 6 as the media, there was noticeable bleeding between colors on both standard and high settings. What settings has everyone found to work well (or if a custom one was made, what settings)?

Thanks.

jasdown

Don't have a Canon, but with my HP Z3200 I've found that the best setting is to start with a "HP Hahnemhle Textured Fine Art Paper" preset and to compress (i.e., reduce) the shadow areas about 20% before printing. It has been my experience has been that Phototex as a substrate causes shadow details to fill-in on bitmaps (so I ratchet down the shadows for the eventual printed gain); but vector art (e.g., type and graphics) usually come out OK, and don't require such an adjustment(?). I would suggest you contact the Phototex owner, Walter Gierlach Jr., (walterjr@phototexgroup.com) for further input.

enduser

With the iPF Canons, Special 1 to 5 are less ink, 6 to 10 are more ink.

samueljohnchia

With the iPF Canons, Special 1 to 5 are less ink, 6 to 10 are more ink.

Sorry, that is wrong. Special 1 - 5 is for glossy media (gloss black) and Special 6 - 10 is for matte media (matte black). Within their range the smallest number has the lowest ink limits.

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Special+Media+Types

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Total+Ink+Limits

jasdown

In an email relating to an order I placed with Phototex yesterday, in which I brought this forum question to his attention, owner Walter Gierlach was concerned that the possibility existed that maybe you were using solvent-based Phototex when you should be using the aqueous (water-based) variety for your pigment ink Canons?

BTW, although my initial post was (regrettably) sort of incoherent, I merely meant to say that I have always had the need to flatten the shadows of my bitmaps by about 20% to produce a result on Phototex that was comparable to more traditional substrates, its gamut being not as expansive in that tonal range.

stevesawusch

I sent him an email too. It looks like the paper is correct (42" Phototex Ex for aqueous). I have attached a photo of (half) the swatches. It was printed on special 6 with print mode set to standard instead of high.

John V.

Did you get the guy who said phototex was the thing they used for the backdrop of "The Daily Show?"

Talking on his cell phone, about to have dinner with his family...

John V.

Anyway, maybe try LexJet Peel and stick fabric. Printing on it is very straight forward.

http://www.lexjet.com/p-5533-LexJet-Print-N-Stick-Fabric.aspx

stevesawusch

We ordered the EX version because of the stronger adhesive. When I talked to Lexjet, the peel and stick is similar to the regular PhotoTex.

John V.

For what it's worth, I've used the LexJet fabric on aluminum panels and it sticks like mad. With more porous materials, it's a different story, obviously.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:01:34 pm by John V. »

PhotoTex Group

Re: Need recommendations for PhotoTex setup on iPF5100, 6100, 8100, 9100
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:13:46 pm »

Hello,  So when you stick to aluminum the tack will always be more intense on any adhesive.  But our EX is perfect for textured walls and eggshell paints combined.  We also have a NEW Opaque (OPA) brighter white point block out (for Latex,UV,Water Base) if any one wants a FREE roll just ask me. Solvent version due out this summer! e-mail: walterjr@phototexgroup.com   Canon just contacted me and wants to profile Photo Tex themselves and so new profiles will be up on the web-site as early as next week  www.phototexgroup.com but the Special 1,5,6 have had great results over the past 10 years. - Walter
Pages: [1]   Go Up