Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glamour II or Timeless for large (30"x46") stretched canvas  (Read 1341 times)

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography

I have stretched quite a number of medium sized canvas prints (16x20 - 20x24) and have had good results with a Fuji Super 3 HVLP spray system using Timeless and HP professional Matte canvas printed on my Z3200.  Generally better results of uniformity of surface (when viewed from the side) when using Timeless matte or satin as compared to gloss.  Larger canvas I have had mixed results due I'm sure to my technique with too much or too little overlap and the amount of laydown per coat.  If you go to the BC web site it recommends a heavy first coat with an almost milky look after spraying and a speed of movement across the canvas of 1 ft/second.  I have read here and elsewhere other recommendations where the first coat should be quite light and then buildup through 4 coats or so with 20 min or so drying time between - this is the technique I have used.  Which do  you use for best results and any other pointers would be much appreciated.

BTW, I have recently switch to BC Lyve canvas as the HP professional matte canvas is getting hard to find.  I have also noticed more cracking with this canvas and a new gallon of satin Timeless - maybe need to mix better ??  Generally seem to have less cracking using gloss vs. other finishes.

Landscapes

Re: Glamour II or Timeless for large (30"x46") stretched canvas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:59:06 am »

I use Timeless and as you have found, glossy is difficult because it has to be applied just right.  If your strokes aren't perfect, then you can see the areas where too little or too much coating has been sprayed.  I never spray full gloss, mix it in a ratio of 4:1 of gloss:matte if I want a satin finish, and 4:1 of matte:gloss for a more matte finish.  I have discovered that if you spray from 2 feet away, versus one foot, the coating spreads out more and hence the "edges" or each pass aren't as sharp and hence the rows tend to blend better.

I have also found that the more gloss you have, the less chance of cracking there is.  If I was very concerned, I would first coat twice with full gloss to really seal in the ink to the canvas, and then coat with whatever final finish you are looking for.  Furthermore, I have found that even with pure gloss, if you stand back far enough, it tends to not end up as glossy as if you spray from less than one foot away.  It must have something to do with the coating drying more while in the air before hitting the canvas.

Spraying really is quite an art form.  I use the Epson Exhibition canvas now, but found when I was using a Canon brand canvas that it cracked like crazy, so that is yet another factor.  The Epson has a lovely stretch to the underlying fibers whereas the Canon was more like cardboard, so everything is better on the Epson canvas.

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 04:29:04 am »

Have you tried watering down the Timeless? It's harder to get an even coat with undiluted Timeless as compared to Glamour II (which has to be diluted anyway) because it's a viscous liquid that doesn't self-level. But, if you water it down and apply it thickly, or in more layers (so as to still get the same amount of acrylic into/onto the canvas) the reduced viscosity should allow it to level out for a smoother finish.

The downside, of course, is that it takes longer to dry than undiluted Timeless. But, unlike with Glamour II, you get the UV protection of Timeless.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:58:41 pm »

Thanks for the reply and acknowledgement that gloss seems to fill in and provide more protection for canvas.  I did not think to try an overcoat of Satin or Matte as the finish coat.  Just trying to get an even surface finish and this might help.  I will have to try the Epson Exhibition Canvas as the Lyve does seem a bit more 'stiff' and possibly prone to cracking than the HP professional matte canvas I had used before.  Price of the Epson canvas also looks good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up