« on: May 04, 2014, 12:38:54 am »

C&C Appreciated. Thanks, -t
One Day At A Time

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Stairs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:01:17 am »

I rather like this. It's good in b&w, where the strong contrasts shine through, and the different direction of the shadows and steps is appealing. I think it would be much improved without the ugly pillars, though, either by cropping this shot or, probably better, by getting closer next time.

Jeremy

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:38:44 am »

Wonderful shapes, textures tones and mid-range contrast. This really works photographically. There is certainly a story of neglect and the passage of time, but it's the photographic qualities that shine through. You have photos within photos here.

I understand what Jeremy is saying about the bollards, but they would be impossible to crop or remove by composing without completely changing the nature of the photo.

I really like the angular shadows on the left, but I feel they might be pulling the eye away from all the detail around the steps themselves. I would be inclined to try a 4x5 or 1x1 crop with just the bollards and steps.

While you're at it, is there a bit more space in front of the left bollard. It seems a bit tight there.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:19:35 pm »

Do you think this helps?   ..also posting full frame, zero raw
One Day At A Time

seamus finn

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 03:03:00 pm »

Do you think this helps?   ..also posting full frame, zero raw

That works better for my at least -the b/w version, that is.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:11:33 pm by seamus finn »

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:45:52 pm »

Wonderful shapes, textures tones and mid-range contrast. This really works photographically. There is certainly a story of neglect and the passage of time, but it's the photographic qualities that shine through. You have photos within photos here.

I understand what Jeremy is saying about the bollards, but they would be impossible to crop or remove by composing without completely changing the nature of the photo.

I really like the angular shadows on the left, but I feel they might be pulling the eye away from all the detail around the steps themselves. I would be inclined to try a 4x5 or 1x1 crop with just the bollards and steps.

While you're at it, is there a bit more space in front of the left bollard. It seems a bit tight there.
Better?
One Day At A Time

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 07:03:20 pm »

Better?

This last is not better for me.  I am with Seamus, LL-CC_140502_Huff_RD-Vr_02 is it.  If you feel you need an excuse for the crop, you can tell them that it is centered laterally on the imaginary intersection of the two pair of railing shadows above the frame.

Bruce

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 08:08:47 pm »

I agree: I find the OP B/W rendering very compelling. Well done!

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:06:43 pm »

Todd - like a lot of things you are looking at these days...you are usually "on to something". Does it all come together here in this photo (or the others you recently posted in similar vein) - I wouldn't say so. The interesting things to me - or the ones that advance in the mind are from left to right...the pair of cast shadows creating a chevron shape, the white graffiti, and the pair of ziz-zag cast shadows on the steps. These is a somewhat interesting "collection" of geometric shapes of approx. the same width. These are the things I would have concentrated on trying to frame something...the steps, railing, posts, and about everything else is really not that interesting. Maybe processing this in other ways might bring something to it...doubtful...crops don't help it. You're in the ballpark. /B
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:04:39 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:12:13 pm »

Yes, the B&W works better than the previous B&W.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:59:26 pm »

I still prefer the original B&W. The cropped versions are certainly simpler to understand visually (I might even say simple-minded), but the original has much more to stimulate my imagination, including the weird series of pseudo-graffiti over at the right.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 12:32:43 pm »

After living with this image and and playing around with PP, this is what I finally decided on. I love the repetition of two: 2 posts, 2 rails, 3 sets of 2 shadows from 2 sets of 2 elements; and decided to focus on the geometry and numbers. Thanks for all the suggestions and of course would appreciate any CC on how you would improve this image posted today ...if you have any thoughts..
Thanks, -t
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:03:38 pm by Todd Suttles »
One Day At A Time

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 02:17:16 pm »

After living with this image and and playing around with PP, this is what I finally decided on. I love the repetition of two: 2 posts, 2 rails, 3 sets of 2 shadows from 2 sets of 2 elements; and decided to focus on the geometry and numbers. Thanks for all the suggestions and of course would appreciate any CC on how you would improve this image posted today ...if you have any thoughts..
Thanks, -t

Here, the various forces cancel each other out.  It is quite balanced, but very remote.  In Vr-02 the stairs were more accessible.

Bruce

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 06:13:08 pm »

Here, the various forces cancel each other out.  It is quite balanced, but very remote.  In Vr-02 the stairs were more accessible.

Bruce
I re-posted Vr-02 beside "final edit", you are right. I see it now and understand  -thank you. -t
One Day At A Time

cjogo

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 07:24:39 pm »

Really great ==except for the graffiti on the left post ---

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 09:37:47 pm »

Really great ==except for the graffiti on the left post ---

I assume you mean the graffiti on the left post in the "final edit".  If so I agree.  I think the rest of the photo would look less dark and read as full sun light more easily if the graffiti were less bright.
It might make it better than 02, I would have to see it.

Bruce  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:44:00 pm by Bruce Cox »

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »

I assume you mean the graffiti on the left post in the "final edit".  If so I agree.  I think the rest of the photo would look less dark and read as full sun light more easily if the graffiti were less bright.
It might make it better than 02, I would have to see it.

Bruce  
Here it is with pull back on graffiti
One Day At A Time

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 08:31:28 am »

Wow.  I like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up