Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Publisher scanner profiling using a custom chart  (Read 1294 times)

howardm

i1Publisher scanner profiling using a custom chart
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:21:53 pm »

Is it possible (or even advisable) to try to calibrate a scanner (Epson V series) using a methodology that looks like........

Using i1Publisher & i1Pro2.

Generate and print out a fairly small chart for printer profiling.  Use the I1Pro2 to read the patches and somehow
create a correction or normalization set of values.

Then scan the same chart and use the just created correction/normalization values to get a final profile for the scanner.

Basically, use the output of the chart read as reference input to the scanner profiling workflow.

I'm pretty sure Argyll will let me do soemthing like this.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: i1Publisher scanner profiling using a custom chart
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:07:30 pm »

Probably not. You want to scan a target made of what you're ultimately going to scan. So if film, you'd want an it8 and preferably of the same film stock as the film you wish to scan.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

howardm

Re: i1Publisher scanner profiling using a custom chart
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 08:30:30 pm »

Thanks Andrew.

In this specific case, I was referring to color prints so by your thinking, I hsould get an IT8 on Fuji Crystal or whatever
is/was used but rarely does one know, esp for older prints and honestly, in that case, probably just use the scanner
calibration and be done w/ it.  It could easily turn into yet another rat hole.

But, for the slides I want to scan, I do have the Kodak Kodachrome IT8/Q60 target and I made an .icc for that (note:  i1Publisher does NOT natively
support Kodachrome target, you have to swap in the header for the Ektachrome target so it will accept the .Q60 file)
(Although Argyll will do it all just fine).
Pages: [1]   Go Up