Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r tech questions  (Read 4312 times)

Volant Productions

Sony A7r tech questions
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:53:03 pm »

Hello,

I am looking at the A7r until Phase one releases the IXu medium format for drone/UAV use.

What I need to know:

1) What exactly is the "multi" port that the remote trigger goes into? Is it similar to the AV USB 10pin port on Canon cameras? Does it supply a SD video feed?

2) Remote trigger. Does this trigger work like a Canon/Nikon trigger where there is a short created to bridge the pins and pop the shutter. If so can someone recommend cheap cable I can butcher up and wire into my hex/octo.

3) Which meta bones adapter should I use? I have a myriad of EF lenses (mostly on the wide side, 14-50). This camera will ONLY be used for aerial work so If I can go with a less expensive option (don't need AF etc.) that would be great!

CptZar

Re: Sony A7r tech questions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 03:18:59 am »

Hello,

I am looking at the A7r until Phase one releases the IXu medium format for drone/UAV use.

What I need to know:

1) What exactly is the "multi" port that the remote trigger goes into? Is it similar to the AV USB 10pin port on Canon cameras? Does it supply a SD video feed?

Mini USB. Video is done with the Micro HDMI port.

2) Remote trigger. Does this trigger work like a Canon/Nikon trigger where there is a short created to bridge the pins and pop the shutter. If so can someone recommend cheap cable I can butcher up and wire into my hex/octo.

No idea, sorry.

3) Which meta bones adapter should I use? I have a myriad of EF lenses (mostly on the wide side, 14-50). This camera will ONLY be used for aerial work so If I can go with a less expensive option (don't need AF etc.) that would be great!

For EF lenses the  Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter (Mark III). The Mark II is not compatible with the NEX A7.

http://metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM3

HTH
Jan

Volant Productions

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:45:27 am »

Thanks for the response!

Bummer that the remote trigger is mini USB. I would need to find a pinout of how the cable works. HDMI is not a big deal, I was just hoping it was some sort of uber 10pin USB that I could run shutter and downlink through.

That adapter looks fine. Guess there is not one made without AF etc?

Thanks

CptZar

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:40:20 pm »

Novoflex has one on request.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:45:05 pm »

You want the Metabones Mk IV not the Mk III as suggested above.  it addresses a number of small issues and has replaced the Mk III.

SangRaal

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 06:27:46 pm »

Try the Fotodiox Canon EF to sony E adapter it is $99 and works better than the metabones and with more canon lenses; while you order that also order and install the Fotodiox light proof solid Sony E mount.
Pages: [1]   Go Up