Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Diglloyd tests the Rolleiflex Hy6  (Read 13205 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Diglloyd tests the Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 03:35:58 am »

Hi M,

I think you take that posting a bit out of context:

The A7r was mounted this way:

and the A7 this way:

It says that you can tame vibration on the A7r in the horisontal position, but he has not found a solution for the vertical shooting position.

Joseph Holmes and Lloyd Chambers found that adding weight reduces the problem. Lloyd came up with a solution using the camera with a flash to add weight.

Personally I have my P45+ to play around with for 30+ MP. I will wait until I see where Sony goes with the lenses. Also, I am actually quite happy with my SLT 99, and my Hassy 555/P45+ combo. Time to take them on a walk…

Best regards
Erik

Hi Eric,

Slightly off-topic in this thread, but just for the record .. Jim Kasson has indeed tested the A7 series at length and amongst the blog posts you've linked to, he published a 4-part series entitled 'COMPARING SONY A7 AND A7R SHARPNESS'. His conclusion was

'My conclusion is that even at the camera’s worst shutter speed, the a7R images have higher resolution and micro-contrast than the a7 images. Therefore if you’re shooting in landscape orientation at focal lengths of 135 mm and shorter, and are willing to go to a little trouble to mount your gear carefully, then you’ll get better IQ with the a7R than with the a7 at all shutter speeds.'

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=5080

M

Erik Kaffehr

Manoli

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 04:15:55 am »

I will wait until I see where Sony goes with the lenses [...] Time to take them on a walk…

Hi Erik,

For sure an interesting topic - possibly for another thread in a few months time - also tied in with the, as yet untested, A7s.

All best,
Manoli
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:17:51 am by Manoli »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 04:27:05 am »

Hi Manoli,

I was checking out DPReviews test image for the A7r in the recent couple of days and it is sharp although exposed at 1/15s. I was thinking about how they did it…

It seems that Sony found a new market with the A7, and I am pretty sure they will explore that market fully. It also seems that Sony will produce some decent lenses for the A# series.

So I am looking forward to new stuff, and new expenditure :-)

Let's go back to the Hy6…

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

For sure an interesting topic - possibly for another thread in a few months time - also tied in with the, as yet untested, A7s.

All best,
Manoli
Erik Kaffehr

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 08:39:06 am »

Having spent the day with him and observed his testing 'methods', I'm not sure there is much special about what he does - at least in the actual shooting, and its likely a different person might get different results because he made a lot of rookie mistakes that I would not expect of a seasoned photographer - for example when he used a remote release but out of fear of the camera falling in the river decided to cradle it with his hands during the exposure - oh yeah that's going to be sharp. What he should have done is repositioned his tripod so it was stable.  Other times he forgot to lock down the tripod head.    He didn't use a white balance card because he thought the reflection off of his shirt would influence the results (how about a gray shirt then?) - he complained later he couldn't get the right color balance.  He had trouble focusing - the first shot he set up had the focus spot over the running water and it didn't lock so he turned off the auto focus and went manual, but didn't consitently focus check - never mind that DOF is going to be small with MFDB at 2 meters distance. Are the edges of the frame blurry because the lens is bad or because there's nothing within the focal plane?  Might have been a good idea to check focus on something on the edge of the frame if that is what he was looking for. Unfortunately he was very resistant to any help from me or suggestions on how to better do something.  He was extremely defensive.  He didn't take notes or delete the images that were suspect saying he'd remember everything.  Of course he was e-mailing me later to remind him which lens was shot first, etc.  Later he complained that Capture One wasn't working for him - almost like he never used it before.  Anyhow, I do not make much of his tests other than to highlight that working with a Medium format camera is different than the DSLR's and 4/3's cameras and that it takes practice and discipline to get the best results.

After his tests went live some photographers using the Hy6 wrote me to tell me they are getting better results and I quite agree.  I immediately went out and took shots in my back yard with the same lenses and also got better results too. I'll be posting a bunch more sample images of nicer subjects than my yard at full res to show what's possible when you know the system.  

He also really glossed over some of the best features of the camera, the ergonomics, the modular design with 4 different finders, interchangeable film and digital backs, focus trap, focus stepping, fast sync speeds up to 1/1000th at all times with the leaf shutter lenses.   I dunno... its almost like he just wanted to find and accentuate the worst things he could find sort of like what he did with the A7R shutter vibration issue.  We actually talked a bit about that.  He said the A7R was close to useless because of it, but I said - and it seems true- that lots of photographers including a number of pros were making fine images with it.  

While I have always been critical of Lloyd's problems with focus with many camera bodies, I don't believe he has ever claimed he was a professional photographer.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »

While I have always been critical of Lloyd's problems with focus with many camera bodies, I don't believe he has ever claimed he was a professional photographer.

Agreed, and I never suggested that he is billing himself that way, and I have nothing against him personally or am suggesting that all of his work is flawed.  My experience and observations are limited to that one day and it could have been that he just had a bad day - he himself stated he wasn't feeling well. 

Regarding the focus issues - he had his contacts in instead of glasses. This could have impacted his focusing since these don't have any close up corrections - bifocal glasses might have been more useful.  He had mentioned he took a very high value of correction in the contacts - something like 9 or 10 diopters.  I showed him how to adjust the diopter on the lupe finder, but instead of doing this himself, he told me to just set it to neutral which I could only estimate as on the lupe its not marked.  I never understood why he didn't want to turn it himself until it his view became sharp, but it was things like this that made me feel he didn't get the best results he could have from the Hy6.   

Every time I tried to suggest he check something like focus he'd bristle and tell me how well he knew his stuff in a very defensive way.  One one occasion he did allow me to focus the camera for him on a setup with the small stick on a rock.  I misunderstood where he wanted the focus and assumed he wanted it on the stick, but he wanted the face of the rock so he suggested we just adjust the focus ring using the distance indicators.  Well okay, I moved it and he said move it more.  Fine but no real way to know even this shot was focused really correctly.    I think Lloyd was assuming that a lot more would be within the DOF but with MFDB its really thin.  In my imatest chart tests, I've noticed that the apex of focus is considerably sharper and quite noticeable. Just a cm of distance correction can be seen in the data.   
Rolleiflex USA

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 02:43:24 pm »

Look, let's just agree that MF is not in Lloyd's domain of competence.
Most of us already knew that anyway.
As for the Hy6, it just never got the commercial push it needed, if Leaf sold a $10K package it might do well opposite the Pentax, with its nice lenses and WLF.

Edmund

Agreed, and I never suggested that he is billing himself that way, and I have nothing against him personally or am suggesting that all of his work is flawed.  My experience and observations are limited to that one day and it could have been that he just had a bad day - he himself stated he wasn't feeling well. 

Regarding the focus issues - he had his contacts in instead of glasses. This could have impacted his focusing since these don't have any close up corrections - bifocal glasses might have been more useful.  He had mentioned he took a very high value of correction in the contacts - something like 9 or 10 diopters.  I showed him how to adjust the diopter on the lupe finder, but instead of doing this himself, he told me to just set it to neutral which I could only estimate as on the lupe its not marked.  I never understood why he didn't want to turn it himself until it his view became sharp, but it was things like this that made me feel he didn't get the best results he could have from the Hy6.   

Every time I tried to suggest he check something like focus he'd bristle and tell me how well he knew his stuff in a very defensive way.  One one occasion he did allow me to focus the camera for him on a setup with the small stick on a rock.  I misunderstood where he wanted the focus and assumed he wanted it on the stick, but he wanted the face of the rock so he suggested we just adjust the focus ring using the distance indicators.  Well okay, I moved it and he said move it more.  Fine but no real way to know even this shot was focused really correctly.    I think Lloyd was assuming that a lot more would be within the DOF but with MFDB its really thin.  In my imatest chart tests, I've noticed that the apex of focus is considerably sharper and quite noticeable. Just a cm of distance correction can be seen in the data.   
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »

Hi,

Just to make a point, Lloyd is complaining both about autofocus and manual focus. It is also interesting to note that Lloyd was first to notice shutter vibration on the A7r, which has been confirmed quite convincingly by Jim Kasson, Jospeh Holmes and others. The loss of sharpness is very much measurable. This is actually a quite strong evidence that a folks who don't observe it are either lucky or ignorant. They can have a combo that is not sensitive to those vibrations or they are just not observant enough to see the problem. It would not be a problem for handheld shots for instance, handholding makes for a decent level of damping vibrations, but also adding vibrations of it's own.

It is well known that AF is not very accurate. It seems that Canon made a strong leap forward in that area with the 5DIII and new lenses, but before that AF was not working very well. It is not very probably that MF would be ahead in AF performance.

Joseph Holmes looked a lot into focusing and came up with the suggestion of using a 3X monocular for manual focusing. I tried that approach but I now have an eyepiece made for my own vision that doesn't work with my Zeiss monocular, unfortunately. I try to focus as exactly I can and stop down to f/11 normally to reduce the significance of focusing errors. I have noticed that f/11 will cause a small degradation of image quality due to diffraction. Life is a compromise…

Lloyd shoots a lot at maximum aperture. Shooting at f/8 or f/11 is much less demanding. I would also point out that Lloyd is an ophthalmologist by profession (AFAIK) so he knows a few things about human vision.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:01:53 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 02:53:45 pm »

I would also point out that Lloyd is an ophthalmologist by profession (AFAIK) so he knows a few things about human vision.

Not sure about that one, Erik K - my understanding is that he was a software engineer before.
Rolleiflex USA

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 05:13:00 pm »

This is awkward. A third party tests the Hy6 and finds issues. So you'd think OK…there are issues.
Then Eric is now saying the testing wasn't so good. Not ideal for Lloyd or Eric, not to mention the rest of us.

Without having subscribed to Digilloyd, I haven't read the test and so don't know what he said. But if the critique is focus accuracy - that's an odd one: once the lenses on the Hy6 are dialed in (focus offset setup correctly), they are pretty much sharp and on the money. If the issue is edge to edge sharpness, that's true enough on the 40mm, but not IMO on the other lenses. But maybe he saw something in his testing that some of us have missed.

If the critique is more broad, and that the lenses are not sharp, well… time for a new test. That just doesn't pass muster.

I've seen some of Eric's work with the 80 mp back, and its pretty amazing. More local use of a Leaf 7 II (33mp) isn't as extreme as the 80 mp, but a 60, 90 and 150 Rollei Schneider were tested against a 55 Apo Sironar, 90 Rodie HRW (older one) and a 150 Apo Sironar with the same back… and the Rollei/Schneiders sure didn't give anything up. Not at all.

Attached is a screen save of a test of three 150mm lenses on the leaf back, the first two Rollei/Schneiders, the last one a Schneider 150 on a tech camera. It was done some time ago, but is (I think) ISO 50, f11, 100% crops, center of the image.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:15:40 pm by Geoffreyg »
Geoff

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 05:54:37 pm »

Hi,

If you compare MTF data for say a Hasselblad 50/3.5 HCII (as measured by Hasselblad) and the Schneider Super-Angulon 2.8/50 HFT PQS data published by DHW, there is little doubt that the Hasselblad is quite a bit better, at least assuming that 10/20/40 lp results are shown. That would be in line with Lloyd's findings. The Super Angulon was used for two of Lloyds test shots.

The reason I looked at Hasselblad MTF data is that they publish MTF data measured on actual samples of all their lenses.

The lens he found best was the Apo Symmar 4/90 PQS.

The other two lenses were Apogon 80/2.8 and  the Zeiss 110/2 Planar.

Lloyd tests all apertures, the lenses improve when stopped down to medium apertures.

Normally he does a lot of testing. Normally he shoots a mural mosaic for sharpness. This time he has a 3D object where he locates different points that are in focus and analyses rendition. I guess he just had stuff a short time.

Lloyd tests at all apertures, most of the lenses have some axial chromatic aberration at large apertures, that goes away at f/5.6 - f/8, Lloyd complains but not a big deal.

I would also add that most of us do to much pixel peeping. There is lots of research indicating that low to medium frequency details dominate human vision, like 20 lp/mm on 135 frame, but we look a lot of what is visible only on screen like 96 lp/mm detail.

On the other hand, we have a few really excellent lenses coming from Zeiss in the Otus line and we are going to see some 54 MP sensors in a year or so. Todays 24MP APS-C sized sensors would deliver 54 MP if scaled up to full frame, so the technology is already here. Sony seems to push CMOS sensor prices down, else they could couldn't produce full frame cameras around 2kUSD.

Now, an Otus 50/1.4 with a camera body for say 3k$ would total at around 8k$. A truly excellent lens on a 50+ MP sensor. It seems that the new Sigma 50 is a good match for the Otus stopped down to f/5.6. It would possible to buy a Pentax 645Z for eight grand, with no lens. The European/Israeli competition is much more expensive. So I guess competition will heat up a bit.

This review by Lloyd Chambers is quite a lot shorter than usual. Different samples would give better information. His findings are not very clear. The major findings are that the lenses are not on par with the 80 MP sensor except in the central part of the image and that the sensor gives significantly less DR than later generation Sony sensors. He also feels that Sony colour reproduction is better, but that may have a lot to do Capture One (that he is not used to) and finding colour balance. Another factor is that colour is highly subjective. Accuracy can be measured but measuring perception is very hard.

A small observation is that if the lenses are not on par with sensor, a 60 MP sensor may be a better and more economical alternative. The IQ-250 has similar DR to other Sony sensors and would avoid the corners of the lenses, but for some reason Phase backs seem not to be available for Hy6 and Leaf doesn't have a CMOS sensor yet. Anyway a 1.3X crop back is only an alternative if no "real wide" wide angles are needed. Pentax and Hasselblad have 24 mm lenses.

Personally I shoot P45+ on Hasselblad V, and the widest lens I have is 40 mm, I would like to have wider, but often I stitch instead. Doing a lot of stitching on the Hassy.

Best regards
Erik

This is awkward. A third party tests the Hy6 and finds issues. So you'd think OK…there are issues.
Then Eric is now saying the testing wasn't so good. Not ideal for Lloyd or Eric, not to mention the rest of us.

Without having subscribed to Digilloyd, I haven't read the test and so don't know what he said. But if the critique is focus accuracy - that's an odd one: once the lenses on the Hy6 are dialed in (focus offset setup correctly), they are pretty much sharp and on the money. If the issue is edge to edge sharpness, that's true enough on the 40mm, but not IMO on the other lenses. But maybe he saw something in his testing that some of us have missed.

If the critique is more broad, and that the lenses are not sharp, well… time for a new test. That just doesn't pass muster.

I've seen some of Eric's work with the 80 mp back, and its pretty amazing. More local use of a Leaf 7 II (33mp) isn't as extreme as the 80 mp, but a 60, 90 and 150 Rollei Schneider were tested against a 55 Apo Sironar, 90 Rodie HRW (older one) and a 150 Apo Sironar with the same back… and the Rollei/Schneiders sure didn't give anything up. Not at all.

Attached is a screen save of a test of three 150mm lenses on the leaf back, the first two Rollei/Schneiders, the last one a Schneider 150 on a tech camera. It was done some time ago, but is (I think) ISO 50, f11, 100% crops, center of the image.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:39:27 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:18 pm »

Regarding the MTF curves comparison - these are sort of useful but its hard to know much without having the lp/mm figures for each curve.  Some manufacturers use calculated curves, some measured, but in the case of those posted its hard to know if the top curve is 10 lp/mm, 5 lp/mm or 20lp/mm.   Hard to say since neither chart shows those figures, and also the Rollei curves are displayed out to 40mm while the HB curve only 35mm.  Chart's presented also are not matched in apertures - f/2.8 vs f/3.5 and second f/5.6 vs f/8  so what can you really say about the relative lens performance with these charts?   

Like Daniel, I still advocate doing one's own testing when possible. Besides seeing what you'd actually get, you'll also know if the camera's ergonomics suit you as well as many other things besides just sharpness.
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 01:48:09 pm »

Hi,

Hasselblad has always measured data and they specify conditions. White light, 10, 20 and 40 lp/mm. The Rollei site does not give the parameters but 10/20/40 is pretty much standard. As Rollei representative you may find out exactly. Interestingly enough, Schneider specifies the LS lenses for Phase One at 15/30/60 lp/mm. As Rollei does not give the lp/mm figures I do assume that they are 10/20/40, because that is pretty much recommended within the European industry. The Phase One lenses are different designs from the Rollei lenses.

I hope that answers the questions about the MTF curves.

Hasselblad normally specify the light and lp/mm on the data sheet, I enclose another example, macro lenses. Top Rollei bottom Hasselblad.

Best regards
Erik

Regarding the MTF curves comparison - these are sort of useful but its hard to know much without having the lp/mm figures for each curve.  Some manufacturers use calculated curves, some measured, but in the case of those posted its hard to know if the top curve is 10 lp/mm, 5 lp/mm or 20lp/mm.   Hard to say since neither chart shows those figures, and also the Rollei curves are displayed out to 40mm while the HB curve only 35mm.  Chart's presented also are not matched in apertures - f/2.8 vs f/3.5 and second f/5.6 vs f/8  so what can you really say about the relative lens performance with these charts?  

Like Daniel, I still advocate doing one's own testing when possible. Besides seeing what you'd actually get, you'll also know if the camera's ergonomics suit you as well as many other things besides just sharpness.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:03:12 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

tsjanik

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:37 pm »

Having spent the day with him and observed his testing 'methods', I'm not sure there is much special about what he does - at least in the actual shooting, and its likely a different person might get different results because he made a lot of rookie mistakes that I would not expect of a seasoned photographer - for example when he used a remote release but out of fear of the camera falling in the river decided to cradle it with his hands during the exposure - oh yeah that's going to be sharp. What he should have done is repositioned his tripod so it was stable.  Other times he forgot to lock down the tripod head.    He didn't use a white balance card because he thought the reflection off of his shirt would influence the results (how about a gray shirt then?) - he complained later he couldn't get the right color balance.  He had trouble focusing - the first shot he set up had the focus spot over the running water and it didn't lock so he turned off the auto focus and went manual, but didn't consitently focus check - never mind that DOF is going to be small with MFDB at 2 meters distance. Are the edges of the frame blurry because the lens is bad or because there's nothing within the focal plane?  Might have been a good idea to check focus on something on the edge of the frame if that is what he was looking for. Unfortunately he was very resistant to any help from me or suggestions on how to better do something.  He was extremely defensive.  He didn't take notes or delete the images that were suspect saying he'd remember everything.  Of course he was e-mailing me later to remind him which lens was shot first, etc.  Later he complained that Capture One wasn't working for him - almost like he never used it before.  Anyhow, I do not make much of his tests other than to highlight that working with a Medium format camera is different than the DSLR's and 4/3's cameras and that it takes practice and discipline to get the best results.

After his tests went live some photographers using the Hy6 wrote me to tell me they are getting better results and I quite agree.  I immediately went out and took shots in my back yard with the same lenses and also got better results too. I'll be posting a bunch more sample images of nicer subjects than my yard at full res to show what's possible when you know the system.  

He also really glossed over some of the best features of the camera, the ergonomics, the modular design with 4 different finders, interchangeable film and digital backs, focus trap, focus stepping, fast sync speeds up to 1/1000th at all times with the leaf shutter lenses.   I dunno... its almost like he just wanted to find and accentuate the worst things he could find sort of like what he did with the A7R shutter vibration issue.  We actually talked a bit about that.  He said the A7R was close to useless because of it, but I said - and it seems true- that lots of photographers including a number of pros were making fine images with it.  

Thanks for the observations.  It has been my impression that his reviews are a guide, but not a final answer.  For example: I have no difficulty with focus on the 645D, despite his claims.  He tests a lot of equipment, that's what drives subscribers to his site, sometimes too quickly.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 11:51:35 pm »

Hm,

Have you tried to shoot at full aperture, shoot  five frame with refocus between? If you get identical and sharp images focus is reproducible and exact.

What Lloyd has found with essentially all cameras that AF is not reproducible, that applies to Leica S2, Sony Alpha 900, all Nikons, Pentax 645D. Shooting at f/8 or so masks unprecise focus quite a bit.

Lloyd, like myself, wants live view. A well working live view with maximum magnification shows the actual pixels in the image. It essentially also shows some lens aberrations.

This article discusses focusing quite a bit: http://www.josephholmes.com/news-sharpmediumformat.html

Joseph Holmes used the P45 to replace 4x5" film, so he was very focused on taking it to the limit.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks for the observations.  It has been my impression that his reviews are a guide, but not a final answer.  For example: I have no difficulty with focus on the 645D, despite his claims.  He tests a lot of equipment, that's what drives subscribers to his site, sometimes too quickly.
Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 03:17:09 am »

It may well be that the newest Hasselblad 50mm lens is also quite excellent, but I have no direct experience with it, and wouldn't dare to make any comment just based on some charts like is done above. Of course for a fast lens, facets more important to me than edge sharpness are the OOF character, the color, and rendering.   When I am shooting an image wide open at f/2.8, my goal is normally to isolate the subject and its highly unlikely that I would place the subject on the edge of the frame, so of course so much of this talk is meaningless in real life situations.     

Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 05:56:33 am »

Hi,

What is interesting that the 40 mm lens is not at all good, the separation between the sagittal and radial curves at 40 lp/mm indicates very significant astigmatism. That means that focus for structures in different directions say horisontal and vertical at the edge differs. If the curve is for 40 lp/mm it is not very good. Well it is actually bad.

The original Distagon 40/4 for the blad was also quite bad, but Zeiss developed a new lens IF (Internal Focus) designation which is pretty good (but probably has some lateral crhoma if my remembrance is OK). Anyway Hasselblad now designs their own lenses and the new lenses are mostly sharper than the old ones.

Anyway, a lens just transferring 20% MTF tangentially at 40 lp/mm will show some weakness pixel peeping on a sensor with nyquist limit at 96 lp/mm. Perhaps this would need some consideration befor discrediting Lloyd Chamber's testing. He sees what the MTF shows according to Schneider, you don't...

On the other hand, I don't really know if pixel peeping is relevant, but that is what both you, Lloyd and I do a lot.

Best regards
Erik

It may well be that the newest Hasselblad 50mm lens is also quite excellent, but I have no direct experience with it, and wouldn't dare to make any comment just based on some charts like is done above. Of course for a fast lens, facets more important to me than edge sharpness are the OOF character, the color, and rendering.   When I am shooting an image wide open at f/2.8, my goal is normally to isolate the subject and its highly unlikely that I would place the subject on the edge of the frame, so of course so much of this talk is meaningless in real life situations.    

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:00:37 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

tsjanik

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 08:31:32 am »

Hm,

Have you tried to shoot at full aperture, shoot  five frame with refocus between? If you get identical and sharp images focus is reproducible and exact.

Best regards
Erik

Yes Erik, as a matter of fact I have, but since there are only a few lenses I would use wide open and rarely at that, it's not important to me.
When I purchased the 645D I tested the focus of every 645 and 67 lens I own.  I used the 645  eyepiece magnifier as a focusing aid.  I found I could achieve accurate manual focus with all my lenses and in most cases the magnifier was unnecessary.  Was every test exactly reproducible? No, but the variation in focus was, in most cases, within acceptable limits.   Once I stopped using the matrix AF and switched to a single AF focus point, I found the AF to be quite accurate as well.  I almost always use f/8 or f/11 and so focus is rarely an issue for me.

I agree that the addition of live view will be a great benefit.  My copy of the 645D appears to have equivalent path lengths to the eyepiece and the sensor and so the focus is accurate.   That may not be true for every 645D or any camera where focus and image occur in different places.

The point of my comment was that Lloyd tests lots of items very quickly and his results are a guide, but not a final verdict.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:35:35 am by tsjanik »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 11:04:45 am »

It may well be that the newest Hasselblad 50mm lens is also quite excellent...

Yes, it really is. HB better made it really good. The version I was not that good which is why it probably needed a much better replacement (Like the Macro vs II is also a lot better than the vs I). This I have from actually using these lenses and not the MTF charts....

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 12:31:17 pm »

50mm used for copy work. ISO 50, f11. 33mp back, but no softness. Jpg reduced in size, TIFF is sharper.
Geoff

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I checked out Lloyd's test again, and he was testing it for over a month perhaps more. He also tested it with 17 lenses, so it was not a quick test. Yes he found AF problemetic but he also found AF problematic on all other cameras, including Canon and Nikon. He also has taken up the route of using a 3X monocular for focusing, a technique I have also tried on my Hasselblad 555. The positive side of the 3X monocular is that it gives 9X magnification with the prism finder the minus side is that it only works on the central part and doesn't work with my special made ocular adopted to my vision.

So Lloyd found that AF was not exact enough, and manual focus to be difficult. Aside from that he found the camera highly recommended.

Getting back to AF, Roger Ciala has published a series tests of AF on different cameras which is an interesting read:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/autofocus-reality-part-1-center-point-single-shot-accuracy
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/autofocus-reality-part-3a-canon-lenses
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/autofocus-reality-part-4-nikon-full-frame

These clearly indicates that:

- AF used to be far less reliable than LV manual focus or LV contrast based AF
- But later generation systems got better
- The improvments needed were in both camera and lenses

These problems were also reported by Lloyd Chambers. So he is not especially critical of MFD, but finds that AF has limitations. He also sent quite a few Nikons back to factory because of alignment problems between sensor and lens mount. As the cameras worked better after repair they were working correctly, Lloyd's findings were probably right.

I guess the guy knows what he is doing.

As a side note, I am shooting Sony. Generally I shoot at f/8, or so, and I don't feel that AF precision is an issue for me. I use live view, if I can. Live view was actually the feature I missed on my Sony Alpha 900.

Best regards
Erik

Yes Erik, as a matter of fact I have, but since there are only a few lenses I would use wide open and rarely at that, it's not important to me.
When I purchased the 645D I tested the focus of every 645 and 67 lens I own.  I used the 645  eyepiece magnifier as a focusing aid.  I found I could achieve accurate manual focus with all my lenses and in most cases the magnifier was unnecessary.  Was every test exactly reproducible? No, but the variation in focus was, in most cases, within acceptable limits.   Once I stopped using the matrix AF and switched to a single AF focus point, I found the AF to be quite accurate as well.  I almost always use f/8 or f/11 and so focus is rarely an issue for me.

I agree that the addition of live view will be a great benefit.  My copy of the 645D appears to have equivalent path lengths to the eyepiece and the sensor and so the focus is accurate.   That may not be true for every 645D or any camera where focus and image occur in different places.

The point of my comment was that Lloyd tests lots of items very quickly and his results are a guide, but not a final verdict.

Tom
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up