Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour space workflow, ipf6400  (Read 624 times)

mjrichardson

Colour space workflow, ipf6400
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:40:05 am »

Morning

Number 2 in my series of daft questions is based on colour space!

So my ipf6400 has arrived, I have C1 and CS6 working in ProPhoto, saving out to srgb for web use but now I'm printing, what is the best process for getting an image to the printer? Do people send a ProPhoto colour space tiff to the printer or change it to a different colour space? I'm wondering what would be best to print from and whether it matters much?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mat

Malcolm Payne

Re: Colour space workflow, ipf6400
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:05:34 am »

Hi Mat

If you send the image to the printer as a tiff in ProPhoto with a good media profile, you'll get the widest gamut out of the printer that it can deliver. I have the luxury of printing from a RIP and send all mine (professional fine art reproductions) as 16-bit ProPhoto tiffs and let the RIP sort it all out, but that's as much for convenience as for any difference it might make to the final output - there's a recent thread here discussing the differences between 8-bit and 16-bit output, and the conclusion is that any visible differences there might be are exceptionally subtle.

Feel free to email if you need any further advice.

Best,

Malcolm

mjrichardson

Re: Colour space workflow, ipf6400
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:17:03 am »

Hi Malcolm

That's great, thanks very much for confirming your workflow, much appreciated! I'll obviously be doing a lot of testing over the coming weeks and months but good to know I'm getting the basics right.

Thanks again!

Mat
Pages: [1]   Go Up