Poll

Which combination would you prefer?

5DMKII with Zeiss Otus
- 8 (61.5%)
Nikon D800e with 50mm 1.4G
- 5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens vs sensor  (Read 2507 times)

pjtn

Lens vs sensor
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:27:50 am »

It seems with the Ziess Otus and Sigma 50mm Art lenses availability we have some incredible options for 35mm lenses. Sony's 36mp sensor has moved 35mm cameras forward in a number of ways also.

I've been thinking about the effect the lens has compared to the sensor. Ideally we would couple the best sensor with the best lenses but I do wonder what preferences people would have if made to pick between:

- A good sensor with an exceptional lens
- An exceptional sensor and a good lens

This is for no more than a theoretical curiosity into peoples opinions on the matter of lens vs sensor. My curiosity started when looking at a 5DMKII image taken with the Sigma 50mm Art. Having owned a 5DMKII with the 17-40 ƒ/4, 24-105 ƒ/4 and 70-200 ƒ/4, in comparison, the Sigma Art takes everything to a whole new level of IQ. Enlargements up to 150x100cm seemed entirely possible in ideal circumstances.

I would personally pick option 1, the 5DMKII with Zeiss Otus for the fantastic drawing characteristics.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
Re: Lens vs sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:50:05 am »

Well, this is a difficult answer which involves too many variables .... for both hardware pieces ...

How do you classify a good sensor ?

Image size XXXX x YYYY sensor size ?

Pixel size in microns ?

ISO capability ?

etc.

Lens ...

MTF, Distortion, Chromatic aberration, fX value, etc.

The best Camera and Lens combination is " The one you use the most "

For me that would be the answer to your question ...

Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:46:23 am »

The answer is probably D800 + Sigma Art 50mm f1.4... but I love my Otus! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

pjtn

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:15:12 am »

The answer is probably D800 + Sigma Art 50mm f1.4... but I love my Otus! ;)

I think from a purely logical price to IQ ratio that would probably be the most likely choice.

I'm just curious to see if given the option whether people would value the virtues of a better sensor or a better lens. The two camera/lens options were given to take any ambiguity from the decision and make it a simple a/b answer. I assume most people would agree with me that, in general, from an IQ perspective, the Nikon sensor is better than the Canons, while the Zeiss lens IQ is better than the Nikons?

Keep in mind I'm talking about peak IQ and satisfaction of the 'look' of the image. Keeping the decision theoretical and in a vacuum, ignoring aspects like the importance of having autofocus vs not, etc.

Such as one person might highly value dynamic range in a sensor while someone else might place greater importance on the bokeh of the lens.

Film cameras mostly had equal IQ given the ability to load any type of film in any camera (assuming the same film size). It was the lens that made the difference in IQ. But we have another variable now in sensor technology.

The question is completely theoretical and I could have chosen any camera/lens combination with the same intent. It's intended for fun and will not be used for conclusive scientific research ;)

If it turns into a flame war or heads down hill in general I will probably just delete the thread.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:38:47 am by pjtn »

allegretto

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:20 pm »

good sensor/great lens >> great sensor/good lens

that's why Otus and Leica are so expensive

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »

I've sold or given away quite a few cameras, film & electronic, over the past 30-odd years but rarely a lens. When it comes to lenses I don't care about specs...I care about the look of the photos I take. A lens can be "great" for any number of reasons. So count me as a lens guy. Since I haven't used either lens considered here, though, I have nothing to say about them.

-Dave-

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 10:33:34 am »

I would always choose the lense first. That is going to stay with me for a long time. Sensors change for the better monotonically, and at the best a body will be retained for 5 years, if not less, but good sharp lenses go on and on. I still use the Nikon 50mm F1.8 AF, which I got with N70 more than a decade ago. In the mean time the bodies have been upgraded 4 times.
Ajoy Roy, image processing
Pages: [1]   Go Up