Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kudos to Canon  (Read 3338 times)

Dward

kudos to Canon
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:49:06 pm »

My ipf8300, out of warranty, quit running and gave several error codes.   Despite the out of warranty status, Canon service offered a free service call, including parts (heads, circuit board on carriage assembly) and labor.  Jason, the technician sent to repair the printer, arrived early and completed the repair in less time than estimated. All this was accomplished in less than one day after my initial call to Canon.  I can't imagine better service.   Thanks, Canon!

hugowolf

Re: kudos to Canon
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:58:36 pm »

My ipf8300, out of warranty, quit running and gave several error codes.   Despite the out of warranty status, Canon service offered a free service call, including parts (heads, circuit board on carriage assembly) and labor.  Jason, the technician sent to repair the printer, arrived early and completed the repair in less time than estimated. All this was accomplished in less than one day after my initial call to Canon.  I can't imagine better service.   Thanks, Canon!

And that would be Canon Kuala Lumpur, Auckland, Berlin, Paris, Madrid?

Brian A

Dward

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:31:59 am »

Near Philadelphia

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:46:55 pm »

I had the same exact experience. My 8300 was out of warranty. My blue channel was messed up so I called Canon. I got a real tech on the phone within 3 minutes, no bullshit. They didn't ask me to pay them anything to evaluate.

I said hey man don't you think these expensive heads should last longer. He said we have improved our print heads and I'm going to send you TWO heads overnight. I said wow thanks. Then he said, I don't like the fact that something else is not perfect on your evaluation print out target so I'm going to send a guy over there in the am with a head board as well just to make sure. I said, ok.

The next am a great tech came over and put in the board and two heads within an hour and did all the print out evaluations.

This was all 100% free. Then they called me back in a couple of days just to check in.

That was the only problem I've ever had of any kind with my Canon. Never a nozzle dropping out or anything of the kind. I print a lot every day for 2.5 years with it.

I'm in Atlanta. I've never seen customer support in the tech industry anything like this. I wonder how long it will last…..

john

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 08:03:18 am »

That was the only problem I've ever had of any kind with my Canon. Never a nozzle dropping out or anything of the kind. I print a lot every day for 2.5 years with it.

I'm in Atlanta. I've never seen customer support in the tech industry anything like this. I wonder how long it will last…..

john

I guess as long as you use Canon ins in volume as you do now. How long it will last is hard to predict but it goes back to early 2007 when Bernard got his first iPF9000, enough ink used Canon can be very nice for its customers. He had a different experience with Epson and the 11880 in the same period while that one used even more ink.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Dward

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:44:11 am »

And more kudos......   The saga of repairs to my ipf8300 continued until last week.   Apparently there were multiple hardware issues, making diagnosis more complicated than usual.  As a result of diagnostic measures, my printer used about 50% of a set of new 700ml ink cartridges, as well as 2 maintenance tanks.  Canon warns that repairs may involve use of supplies, such as ink and paper, but that level of use seemed extreme.    Before I could ask, Canon overnighted me a full set of 330ml inks (effectively replacing the ink that had been used), and a new maintenance tank.  Superb service!

David V. Ward, Ph. D.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:56:27 pm »

John & David - Any insight as to why you where able to get a service call out of warranty at no charge? The several times I have talked with Canon support about my ipf8300, I was impressed with the professionalism they exhibited but I know for a fact they charge around a flat $1,300 for an onsite service call with needed parts.

~ Jeff

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

epatsellis

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:07:51 pm »

Last year my 8300 started coming up with varying errors after a head change, first multisensor and then random errors. Canon was of little help other then telling me I needed a service call @ the standard price. I only printed about 8,000 square feet in the 16 months I owned it, and decided to replace it with an 8400.

My 8300 is sitting in storage waiting for me to decide what to do with it (anybody interested in a mostly complete printer for spares, cheap???), but in all likelihood the 8400 will be the last large printer I buy, $4-5K a year to be able to print your own work just doesn't make sense anymore, combined with unrealistically low pricing from online vendors luring most of my professional customers away makes the decision for me.

Sad, as the 8300 was the first inkjet printer than I saw that looked like "real" sliver based imaging.

Dward

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:36:36 pm »

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure, but I think it was a combination of two factors:  1.  The printer was not far out of warranty (a few weeks), and 2.  I suspect that some combinations of error codes indicate to Canon that the problem is analogous to the GM ignition switch (i.e., it's an engineering or manufacturing flaw).  Specifically, error codes having to do with the carriage board, and not just print heads.    I want to be clear that this is a guess on my part.   In any case, the exceptional service I've gotten pretty much guarantees that I'll buy another Canon when the time comes.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
dvward.com

Some Guy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:44:31 pm »

Positive with Canon Service also.

Even though my Canon printer was old, they offered me a replacement for far less than a new one at retail.  Some VIP deal or something.  Can't say anything bad about them, other than I cannot get an ipf8400 in my door.

Now if Canon comes out with a 24" or 44" desktop unit....

SG

smjphoto

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »

I also had heads replaced several months out of warranty and I'm a low usage printer. The first call wasn't helpful. Then I called my dealer and he suggested I do a calibration. When the 8300 said it couldn't successfully complete the calibration, I called canon back. They asked a few questions, logged into the printer, and said 2 new heads would be overnighted to me.
My dealer emphasizes to check the heads w a nozzle check and calibration before the 1 year warranty on the heads runs out .
Stuart
Pages: [1]   Go Up