Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium format insurance?  (Read 990 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Medium format insurance?
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:21:51 pm »

I recently purchased my first medium format back--Hasselblad CV-50.

Really like the color and resolution from this back.

Looking for insurance.

Any recommendations?

Would like to hear from those who were satisfied with claims filed.

Thanks.

fotagf8

Re: Medium format insurance?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:40:14 am »

No claims, thankfully.  Insurance was very cheap.  I believe just under $300 on a $30,000 addition to policy.  Policy is the Fireman's Fund package offered through ASMP.  The agent is Taylor and Taylor.  To buy the package you need to be an ASMP member, which costs around $250 per year.  The overall package was around $1,300 before I added the new equipment.

I am not impressed with Taylor and Taylor.  They "talk fast" and ignore the specifics of your question.  They promised me an answer about a question I had in two days.  A month later, nothing.  I will be following up with Fireman's Fund directly.

I had every thing on my Chubb homeowner's policy, but when I started selling, I needed pro insurance.  Chubb has a great claim reputation, so if you can find a business package with Chubb, I would look at it closely.  I haven't found one yet.

It is cost effective premium wise going with professional association packages.  Putting the coverage together on your own will be more expensive because insurance companies charge a hassle factor when they work with just one person.

Jack Varney

• http://
Re: Medium format insurance?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:19:39 pm »

Not many homeowners insurance policies cover camera gear as a separate rider, in my experience. Chub, a high end insurer being an exception. Not having a carrier offering a rider I have been insured by Hill and Usher for the last few years on my P45+. The annual premium has been in the $400 to $500 range. Located in Texas they can be reached at 866-977-4725 or on the web at -

www.likepackagechoice.com

Note: I have no financial relationship with Hill and Usher other than as a customer.

Regards,

Jack
Jack Varney
Pages: [1]   Go Up