Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjustments for web jpeg  (Read 5154 times)

Isaac

Re: Adjustments for web jpeg
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »

I have a display that is correctly calibrated and profiled specifically to yield an image which matches to my fairly well trained eye what I get on a print.  My goal for my display isn’t to display my work, it’s to help me predict what my printer is going to produce - and to be honest isn’t ideal for some other things typically done on a computer.

Ditto; and although I'm delighted at how well that helps me predict what the prints will be like, there's such a feeling of futility when I see the images on other displays that I've been tempted to tune images for some arbitrary out-of-the-box default settings - but that's just another exercise in futility.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »

Wayne, I looked at your image gallery on my calibrated 30" screen, my iPad and my wife's 27" Apple thunderbolt display which is uncalibrated with her MacBook Pro. They looked different, but in all cases they looked good. I don't think anybody would leave the gallery because of the way they look on the screen and only if they were not interested in them.
Thanks for the feedback.  Based on the date you posted this, about 50% of those images had been just changed to include a slight density tweak, glad to know I didn’t make a mess of things.

Ditto; and although I'm delighted at how well that helps me predict what the prints will be like, there's such a feeling of futility when I see the images on other displays that I've been tempted to tune images for some arbitrary out-of-the-box default settings - but that's just another exercise in futility.
I’ve felt that same way for some time, but lately have been thinking if I just want to get something which looks a little better on what the average user has out there, and I walk around in a Costco, Best Buy, Apple Store or a similar  retail provider, it seems pretty clear that most are running a display that is at least 160- 200 cd/m2, and is a little on the cool side. My assumption is most who can afford and would choose to buy a high end landscape image for their wall have enough discretionary income they have a pretty recent computer with a nice bright LCD display.

Yes, there are outliers - the guy with the 15 year old CRT that can’t get brighter than 80 cd/m2, but they are rare and just because I can’t make the image look better on those few displays doesn’t mean I couldn’t try and improve it on others. I know there isn’t an adjustment that will make the image look “correct” on all of those displays, but it does seem that a simple .30 stop adjustment (as suggested by Slobodan) with an exposure layer in Photoshop when preparing an image for web display is minor enough that it still looks fine on a display that has been calibrated for printing, and looks a little bit better on one that is quite a bit brighter.  A slight temperature change doesn’t seem necessary since the viewer has no comparison.

Now will it look like a print that is hanging on the wall?  No, but no web jpeg in a browser will ever look like the print on the wall. When I produce a print I’m clueless as to how much light and what kind of light is going to be on that print, so I’m just trying to hit averages there as well. And I’m assuming (maybe incorrectly) that a buyer doesn’t bother setting their computer up next to the print once it is hung to see if it matches, and even if I didn’t make any adjustment to the web jpeg, it wouldn’t match anyway, since their setup hasn’t been calibrated and profiled to match printed output.

I appreciate all the comments, as with everything many opinions.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 05:45:01 pm »

Just came across this, from X-Rite's blog (emphasis mine):

On average most manufacturers set their displays three times brighter than what is considered optimal for photographic work.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 05:49:08 pm »

Just came across this, from X-Rite's blog (emphasis mine):
Sounds like nonsense. Both the average and the bit about most manufacturers. I suspect they are all over the place. Optimal for photographic work means?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 12:40:30 pm »

When I produce a print I’m clueless as to how much light and what kind of light is going to be on that print, so I’m just trying to hit averages there as well.

"[T]rying to hit averages" or trying to make a print that will appear as you want when lit in a specific achievable way?

…but it does seem that a simple .30 stop adjustment … looks a little bit better on one that is quite a bit brighter.  A slight temperature change doesn’t seem necessary since the viewer has no comparison.

fwiw When I look at my pictures on the new uncalibrated display in the other room it isn't the brightness that bothers me, it's that for some pictures a color (hue) is just wrong.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:52:38 pm by Isaac »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up