Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 24mm TSE II question  (Read 2647 times)

gordorad

Canon 24mm TSE II question
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:22:29 pm »

Is the rear element supposed to have a bit of "play" in it? I just noticed when applying light pressure with a cleaning cloth, it moves a bit....When I shake the lens, nothing.....Only feel movement when applying light pressure........

Thanks.

robdickinson

Re: Canon 24mm TSE II question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:00:10 pm »

Cant say I have ever tried. I suggest you stop doing it?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »

Send it in to CPS. Minimum lens inspect/adjust fee is $130 (if I remember).
~ CB

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:21:34 am »

Yes, it's completely normal. I thought something was wrong with mine and took it to Irvine. What I found out is that that rear element group is actually held in place by three springs that pull it to the mating surface. It took them about a week to figure that out because no one had ever encountered the "problem" at that point, which was about three years ago.

gordorad

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:29:26 am »

Thanks for the correct reply!

I called Canon.  But of course, the CPS told me to send it in to be looked at.  I inquired to the CPS rep if he could ask repair (knowing customers are not allowed to speak with tech's) if the movement was considered "normal".   Nope, I would need to send it in.  One would think they should have the correct info readily available. 

Thanks again for the correct answer pfigen.

Robdickinson...you are suggesting I stop cleaning the rear lens element?  uh, sure..

pfigen

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 04:15:54 am »

Gordon - When I took mine in, they had never had one in for any kind of repair, so I sort of cut them some slack. There was a CSR there at Irvine - a front counter talk to the end user kind of a guy - who had to be the most stupid person I've ever run into in the camera industry. After a couple of email exchanges I just gave up with him, but at least I finally got the lowdown on the lens design. I know, what the hell were you doing cleaning your lens. Jeez. That's exactly how I ended up in your shoes too. Or is it the other way around. In any event, you'd a thought they might have put out some sort of service advisory - something I suggested they do, thinking that there's no way I could be the only person to encounter this.

Peter

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:07:36 pm »

Hi,

I have also one of those but first edition. As soon as I can, I do not have it here but 420km north in my weekend house, I will check it and then I can tell you wht is doing mine.
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 11:29:16 am »

I have to ask: How did you manage to get the rear element dirty?  I looked at mine and it is deeply recessed inside the lens.  I don't think I've ever needed to clean a rear element.   A few specks of dust aren't going to influence performance.  The only rear element I've even considered cleaning is on the 85mm f/1.2 which is flush to the mount and perhaps slightly prone to getting dirty.

pfigen

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 03:23:37 am »

The version 1 of the 24mm T/S-E is not the same design and has a completely different construction. There's nothing to move around on that one. The new version, I'm told, has not one but two sets of floating elements.

As far as needing to clean the rear element, it can happen. Change the lens at the beach on a windy day and you might need to clean the rear element.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:17:50 pm »

There's nothing to move around on that one.

Please explain me what do you mean by this ? So I can understand the problem better.

Thanks and regards
 I am here for

pfigen

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 12:39:30 am »

"There's nothing to move around on that one.

Please explain me what do you mean by this ? So I can understand the problem better."

The rear elements in the 24 ts-e v1 are solidly attached to the rest of the lens group so they appear and feel as one solid unit - kind of like you'd expect in virtually every lens you've ever seen. The rear element group (and I don't know exactly how many pieces comprise that) are mounted in a separate assembly. That assembly is then held in proper position by three small springs that pull that assembly to its mating surface. You will discover, upon cleaning that rear element group, that it moves around pretty easily, rocking slightly back and forth, causing the consternation that started this thread. It's not a construction technique anyone here has seen previously, which explains the mystery. Well, we still don't know why Canon chose that method of attaching the rear group.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 04:39:34 pm »

"There's nothing to move around on that one.

Please explain me what do you mean by this ? So I can understand the problem better."

The rear elements in the 24 ts-e v1 are solidly attached to the rest of the lens group so they appear and feel as one solid unit - kind of like you'd expect in virtually every lens you've ever seen. The rear element group (and I don't know exactly how many pieces comprise that) are mounted in a separate assembly. That assembly is then held in proper position by three small springs that pull that assembly to its mating surface. You will discover, upon cleaning that rear element group, that it moves around pretty easily, rocking slightly back and forth, causing the consternation that started this thread. It's not a construction technique anyone here has seen previously, which explains the mystery. Well, we still don't know why Canon chose that method of attaching the rear group.

Thanks a lot for that explanation. Now I understand.
 I am here for
Pages: [1]   Go Up