Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hydeaway Bay  (Read 888 times)

MattNQ

• My Website
Hydeaway Bay
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:51:30 am »

Possibly just  'tourist shots', but interested in your thoughts.

Are the foreground rocks too intrusive on #1?
Does the blue shade shelter add context, or just detract from the image?

Should I have cropped the boat on the far right?
Matt

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Hydeaway Bay
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:54:24 am »

Lovely tourist shots, Matt. Yeah, I think the foreground's a bit intrusive in both, but that's just a personal opinion.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:38:30 am »

Hi Matt,

As to the first image - I think that some of the foreground rocks are very much a plus but the one in the lower left corner is certainly a detraction. I have no opinion about the blue shelter as it doesn't really show up very well when the image is viewed on my tablet.

I think the second image would have been better composed if you had moved further down the beach to the right omitting the far right boat and giving more separation between the remaining boats and the rock formation. But, in any case, I think the pictures do a good job of capturing the beauty of the area.

Later,
Johnny

francois

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:45:04 am »

Very nice shots but looking at them for more than a minute or two makes me think that:

#1 > The foreground has lines that tend to lead the eyes to the left side of the image. The right side (about 1/4) is like empty. The foreground rock take a big portion of the image, it might be too much. The blue structure doesn't bother me at all.
#2 The foreground, especially the beige sand takes too much importance but cropping part of it will move the horizon line in the dead center of the image. I think that there's a slight magenta cast, but it might well be my eyes.
Francois

IcelandAurora

• Driven by a passion for Landscape Photography
    • Iceland Aurora photo tours
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:23:54 am »

Hi Matt,
picture one is beautiful, very well composed and I love all the foreground rocks.  The exposure is great and the colours are very positive.

Picture 2, not really sure what to look at here, yes the boat on the right is a small distraction, but it seems the whole scene is just a collection of elements with space between and, as I said, I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking at.
Driven by a passion for landscape photography and Iceland
http://icelandaurora.com/tours/

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:26:09 am »

Thank you all for your feedback.
I was a bit rushed as were passing through so probably should have taken a little more time with the composition.

Francois, I have noticed that slight cast on similar photos in other locations - always this type of shot with white clouds & blue skies.
I am not sure if it is the CPL itself or the camera's auto WB getting a little confused by the CPL
Matt

francois

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:30:26 am »

Francois, I have noticed that slight cast on similar photos in other locations - always this type of shot with white clouds & blue skies.
I am not sure if it is the CPL itself or the camera's auto WB getting a little confused by the CPL

It might be the CPL but it's no major problem and you can easily correct it.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up