Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya/Phase Wide angle lens on crop sensor P40+  (Read 1449 times)

zuitomedia

Mamiya/Phase Wide angle lens on crop sensor P40+
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:48:06 am »

What are your favorite wide angles?

I'm finding my 80mm is a little too long for some of the interior portraits I take. Trying to decide between the 35, 45 and 55 or do i just save up another year to buy the 28LS.

Does the fact that the P40 is a crop sensor make it easier to get away with some lens, like in APC/35mm?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Mamiya/Phase Wide angle lens on crop sensor P40+
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:16:05 pm »

The 1.3 crop will help on the 35mm and 45mm for sure as both of these lenses can be quite a bit soft in the corners until around F14 to F16.  The 55mm seems to be a much sharper lens all round, marred only by a very shallow DOF even at F11.

Phase One sells D versions of both of these lenses, but I don't believe that there are any changes to the elements or groups, however supposedly the QA on the D versions is better.

Paul 
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:47:56 pm »

Everything is relative. In that context the 45D and 55LS are stronger lenses than the 35D. If you don't need very wide view, I'd go with the 45D or 55LS. The 55LS, in my experience, outperforms the 45D modestly in most uses but both are very good lenses. If you might, now or in the near/midterm future upgrade to a full frame back or desire to use fast flash sync I'd suggest the 55LS over the 45D - if neither of those is the case than I'd go with the 45D over the 55LS as it's less expensive.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:17:43 pm by Doug Peterson »

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:45:00 pm »

You mentioned interior portraiture, I'm assuming you mean environmental portraits which is what I do.  I have owned a P40+ and currently my work horse is the IQ260.  I own a LS55 and it has been used with both cameras and the results have been excellent. I tend to shoot at the more shallower f-stops say 2.8 to f 8 and focus on the subject eyes for my style of portraits.  

If you  also shoot portraits outside, a leaf shutter lens combined with a high flash sync gives much more flexibility.  When the back ground is not desirable or distracting, I simply select a high shutter speed such as 1/1000 and set my fstop to 5.6 (of course with radio remote such as the Profoto Air sync) scrim off the subject with a silk or black flag and pop in a bit of strobe.  Of course I'm choosing the location, so it won't be at high noon on an Arizona highway....

My photography website is full of portraiture, even action portraits taken with the 55LS.  Not sure what your style is, but its been great lens to have in my kit.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:47:28 pm by Jeffery Salter »
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter
Pages: [1]   Go Up