Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping a 36x80 stretched canvas?  (Read 2149 times)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Shipping a 36x80 stretched canvas?
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:12:25 pm »

Anyone have experience with this?  Had someone order a 36x80 rolled canvas, who is interested in what it would cost me to stretch it and ship it from MI to AZ.

My impulse is the cost of shipping alone is going to be several times what they'd pay for a local framer to stretch the piece, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with this issue.

I know regular post office, UPS Ground, and FedEx Ground are out.

Not sure what the logistics are of sending it freight, and the pricing on the freight.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

John V.

Re: Shipping a 36x80 stretched canvas?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:30:14 am »

This won't help all that much, but art.com once told me they use fedex all the way around, even for large pieces, using fedex oversize rates (?)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:48:58 am »

This won't help all that much, but art.com once told me they use fedex all the way around, even for large pieces, using fedex oversize rates (?)

I do appreciate the response.  Trouble is FedEx Ground/Home Delivery has two limitations on the largest box size.  Their maximum length is 108", and their maximum length+girth is 165".  (Girth is 2 * (width+height), or how big "around.)  This is even on their oversize 3 rating, which is their maximum.

The max length+girth of 165" is tricky.  A 38x82x3" package gets to 164" length+girth.  And, that's allowing 1" of packaging on each side, and 3/4" on top and bottom (assuming 1.5" bars.)

Any more packaging and you bump over the 165" max, forcing you to go FedEx freight.

FedEx 3Day Freight (slowest on website) has a price of $960.70!  (39x82x3)  I know you can get gigantic FedEx freight discounts without needing a high volume account, like 60%, which brings it down to $384.28.  But that's still with virtually no packaging.

Shipping it as a 46x90x8 lists $1195.70, with discount $478.28.  That gives 4" packaging on the sides and 3.25" on top and bottom.  No experience with how much packaging you need for FedEx freight...

jferrari

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:44:29 am »

What is the depth of your stretcher/strainer bars?
Nothing changes until something changes.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 03:34:22 pm »

What is the depth of your stretcher/strainer bars?

1.5"

framah

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:42 pm »

As she is "interested" in the cost of shipping it, tell her. Tell her that the art at that size, it will cost many, many hundreds of dollars which she could spend on stretching AND framing it at a framer near her.
Then tell her how LITTLE it would cost to roll it in a tube.

Trust me, she will thank you for thinking of her wallet.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:11:03 pm »

Totally agree.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing on a way to do it without it being in the price range I've been thinking it would be.

jferrari

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:54:51 pm »

I spent a few minutes checking into a solution for you. Crating would be about $60 and UPS Ground (I plugged in Lansing, MI to Phoenix, AZ since I didn't know the specifics) was $160.53 insured only for $100 which is likely too low. I know that if someone walked into my studio with a rolled canvas print in good condition and wanted it stretched for $220 (the cost of shipping and crating) I would jump up and down for joy! It's less than two hours labor and maybe $10 bucks in parts to build a strainer frame and stretch a gallery wrap that size. You may want to convince your customer to accept the rolled canvas from you and get it stretched locally.   - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up