Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orange ink acting up in Epson 7900  (Read 1961 times)

bhbf08

Orange ink acting up in Epson 7900
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:10:47 am »

I've read a lot over the last 3-4 months about these printers and haven't read about this problem yet.  My orange ink about 3 days ago missed a few nozzles on the nozzle check.  Ok, no big deal.  I do the CL1 on it and it fixes it.  I've been having problems with it ever since, but it's not just a missing nozzle.  Now, it will print a somewhat clean nozzle check, but where the 3-4 nozzles were not firing there are noticeable glitches, or blips.  Not quite sure what to call them.  The entire Orange does print, but where the 3-4 spots were missing before you can see that it isn't printing clean there.  It's almost like it's printing 98% of the line, with a small spot missing at the end, or maybe it's printing crooked ... something like that.  Hard to exactly describe. 

So, when I print a certain file that has a little bit of orange in it, it will cause the print to be missing orange in the exact same spot every single time  I print it.  It starts about 3/4 of an inch into the print.  It will do it in the same spot every time.  I can do a CL1 and then the orange prints fine (With the minor imperfection on the lines).  Then print this file and it messes up in the same spot again.   

Now, when I was in service mode I started looking around and came across some sort of test print that for some reason caught my eye.  I'm at work now and can't remember the name of it.  It started with a C.  CV ? CL? CR? Test Print.  So I printed it.  It printed 15 or tiny blocks of color, along with a few other items and ended with a nozzle check.  I noticed in the blocks that contained orange they were not square.  The rest of them were perfect squares.  The orange, however, started square then jetted out to the side mid-way through the block and then finished square.  I think this test had something to do with alignment. 

Now, has anyone heard of a similar problem or have any idea what test print I did and what any of this means?  I've left my head under a paper towel with windex while I'm at work just to see if that helps at all. 

BobDavid

Re: Orange ink acting up in Epson 7900
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:48:23 am »

On the day my Epson 9900 blew up, I was so happy to revert back to an Epson with just the K3 + vivid magenta inkset. I now use a 7890. On X900 printers, the green and orange carts are only useful if you are a graphic designer and need to color match PMS colors and hand over proofs to a pressman. From my experience, the orange and green inks had only a very negligible (if any) effect for fine art reproduction applications.

A few years ago, my 9900 had a bad orange cart that caused so much trouble, I had to bite the bullet and pay for a visit from D1 to get it resolved. For some reason, the chip on the orange cart screwed things up to the point where all of the carts on the left-side ink bay were rendered inoperable.

Ironically, if I had to, I would pay a few bucks more to buy an Epson printer without the green and the orange headaches.

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:59:02 am »

This sounds suspiciously like a deflected nozzle.  Could you scan or photograph that section of the nozzle pattern and post it here?  I think it would probably be a good idea to run an alignment, but I doubt that will solve it.  Unfortunately, if it is indeed a deflected nozzle usually the only fix is a new print-head.  It's an internal issue with the head that cannot be fixed as far as I know.  However, I would try everything imaginable to fix it before opting for that sort of surgery.  So far everything you've mentioned leads me toward the def nozzle scenario as far as my experience is concerned.  I hope I'm wrong, but if we can see the printout that will provide more information.

Gary    
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

bhbf08

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:41:38 am »

I was afraid I was going to receive this answer   >:( 

After doing some searching around is it possible there is something stuck on the orange nozzles?  Such as a hair, dirt etc.?  I guess it is possible, but how would I go about cleaning that off?  I'd like to at least check it out before biting the bullet. 

Thank you for replying and giving me ideas as to what it could be. 

bhbf08

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:42:33 am »

I will try to take a picture of the nozzle print out as well as the larger print out I did where the orange shoots out to the side.  That will come later this evening though. 

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 11:24:12 am »

On the day my Epson 9900 blew up, I was so happy to revert back to an Epson with just the K3 + vivid magenta inkset. I now use a 7890. On X900 printers, the green and orange carts are only useful if you are a graphic designer and need to color match PMS colors and hand over proofs to a pressman. From my experience, the orange and green inks had only a very negligible (if any) effect for fine art reproduction applications.

A few years ago, my 9900 had a bad orange cart that caused so much trouble, I had to bite the bullet and pay for a visit from D1 to get it resolved. For some reason, the chip on the orange cart screwed things up to the point where all of the carts on the left-side ink bay were rendered inoperable.

Ironically, if I had to, I would pay a few bucks more to buy an Epson printer without the green and the orange headaches.

It's not just for graphic designers who need absolute colour accuracy.

The gamut is significantly better on matte papers and, especially, uncoated papers. Also, for archival-quality work, the inkset is a lot more lightfast (particularly with a RIP) since orange and green can compensate for Epson's very weak yellow pigment (take away the yellow pigment, or replace it with something else, and Epson's inkset matches Canon or HP for longevity).

dannybirchwood

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:19:57 am »

Sorry to hear your having trouble.

I have had problems with my 7900 as you can see from my threads. I have almost rebuilt the thing.

Have you checked the wiper blade ? Have you ran an alignment ? could you post a print out of the alignment ?

Have you tried printing a solid block of orange and see what it does ?

It does sound like a defect nozzle, however don't be beaten yet. There is lots more you can try and your not alone.

I will try and help as much as I can if I dont get back quick enough on here then please feel free to contact me threw my website direct I try to check here most days.

Hope its helps
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing

dannybirchwood

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 08:24:08 am »

The CR adjustment is service mode is for manual head alignment all the adjustment (as far as i know) is done via the carriage I have a copy of what they should look like if you want to see them, also guide how to adjust these. unusual that you would ever have to touch these though unless the printer has been moved heavily without locking the carriage.

There are three types of carriage alignment you can do, two manually and 1 with software which I cant get hold of :(

I wouldn't touch these at this stage though.
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing

bhbf08

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:35 am »

Thanks for the input guys.  I wasn't attempting to manually fix it, I think I just came across the CR print out in service mode and thought I'd just print it to see what it was and if it could help determine what my issue was. 

I'll try to get the pics up today of the print outs.  The nozzle check hasn't gotten any better.  It's about 3-4 blocks that are skewed a bit.  Most prints print fine still, only certain orange colors will start to leave lines. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up