Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are split neutral density filters needed with modern cameras?  (Read 3552 times)

IcelandAurora

• Driven by a passion for Landscape Photography
    • Iceland Aurora photo tours
Re: Are split neutral density filters needed with modern cameras?
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 05:58:29 am »

I agree with Lonnie, that although it is possible to boost shadows and reduce highlights, this can take it's toll on the resulting image quality.

But, using things such as GNDs, is not just about the result, the actual process of using them can be satisfying.

Personally, I think I will stick with my Magic Cloth Technique.
Driven by a passion for landscape photography and Iceland
http://icelandaurora.com/tours/

hjulenissen

Re: Are split neutral density filters needed with modern cameras?
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 07:15:11 am »

The algorithms used by our software programs to increase the brightness in the dark areas of the frame are much more complex than simple "multiplication". 
Multiplying the luminance of an image will make it brighter. Doing this locally will make a local area brighter.

If you think that this is done using "interpolation" and injecting noise, that raw converters "cannot and will not interpret all of those pixels accurately" I would hope to see some references, an explanation or similar?

I have written (simple) code for making a viewable image from raw sensel values. I do believe that I have some knowledge about the basic steps needed. I don't know the details behind the proprietary engines of e.g. Adobe, but if you do, please explain.

-h
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up