Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r focusing at full aperature?  (Read 3403 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Sony A7r focusing at full aperature?
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:17:46 pm »

Hi all. I only have two native lenses: the 35 mm and 55mm. For my landscape/ seascape work, I usually shoot aperature preferred, typically f11 to f13. I have used SLRs ( film and digital) for many years, and am used to focusing wide open, either manually, or AF. This gives me a bright view, even in bright daylight, and limited depth of field because of the wide open aperature. I have tried to use my A7r that way, but I must be screwing up, because I cannot do it. If I select Aperature Preferred, set the f stop to, say, f13 the lens (both of them) stop down to shooting aperature, darkening the view somewhat, and making manual focus tweaking impossible, because of the f13 depth of field. I like the DMF idea, that you merely keep your finger on the shutter release after AF, then move the focus ring, and the image magnifies, and you manually tweak focus; but with the lens stopped down, this idea fails for me. Am I screwing up? I am about ready to go back to my DSLRS, which I fortunately kept.

robdickinson

Re: Sony A7r focusing at full aperature?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »

Does the sony stop the lenses down even when not shooting? wow.

You may be able to change that or change the LCD from showing 'exposure simulation' to just displaying a bright image.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:21:52 pm »

Hmmm, that's a way of using the A7r I've never tried...or even thought to try. With the native FE lenses I either rely fully on AF or switch to MF mode if I want to take control. I'm guessing the aperture is closing down post-AF, with the shutter button held down, in order to minimize exposure lag. If so it certainly puts a crimp in your prefered way of working. I'll have to give it a spin & see what happens!

-Dave-

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:51:05 am »

I have used SLRs ( film and digital) for many years, and am used to focusing wide open, either manually, or AF. This gives me a bright view ... set the f stop to, say, f13 the lens (both of them) stop down to shooting aperature, darkening the view somewhat, and making manual focus tweaking impossible, because of the f13 depth of field.

Dave,

I'm not sure I have fully understood your problem but, yes, the lens does stop down in Av mode (thus eliminating problems of back or front focus) - I suspect yours is a problem of configuration.

1 Settings (wheel)> page2 >LiveView Display > Setting effect OFF
2 configure the [AF/MF] button, under page6> Custom Key Settings >  [AF/MF ctrl hold]
3 set the camera to MF - (NOT DMF)
4 set lever to AF/MF

Now, when you want to autofocus just press the [AF/MF] button, camera autofocuses and you can then refine the focus manually by just twisting the focus barrel on the lens - the camera automatically switches into ‘enlarged view’, you can alter the enlarged view with the 4-way controller - live view combined with focus peaking should allow you very exact focus. Aperture iris doesn’t change … but shouldn’t affect focus accuracy.

Slightly different to what we’re used to on the DSLRs but IMO way better.
Good luck ...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:06:34 am by Manoli »

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:49:25 pm »

Thanks all. Manoli, I will follow your method and see how it works out for me.
Dave

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 02:31:21 pm »

Hope it works, Dave - let me know OOC ( out-of-curiosity !)

M
Pages: [1]   Go Up