Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocks of the Scandes  (Read 1889 times)

sdwilsonsct

Rocks of the Scandes
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:20:08 pm »

Overprocessed? Suggestions welcome.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Rocks of the Scandes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:50:02 pm »

The first two appear too dark. The second one has visible halos. The third one is good, but I would experiment with a cooler WB.

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:31:26 am »

The first is OK, a bit dark but very plausible. The second one is too dark and the sky too flat or too gray. The third is fine; well, I may be nitpicking on the third one but the rocks on the right seem to be very light - did you lighten them?
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 06:29:09 am »

My favourite is #1, it has a sort of "mordor" feel to it. I would try to boost the greens a bit.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:39:43 pm »

Many thanks for the feedback. I attach new versions. Please note that they really are new even if the changes are subtle.

#1: The darkness is meant to show a foggy day in a narrow valley, plus I wanted the cottongrass to shine. Now I have raised the brightness 5%. This shot has always frustrated me because the elements didn't align into a more balanced composition.

I did experiment with the greens. OTOH this is late summer so a bit of yellow is creeping in.

#2: As above, this is a dark place. I have now reduced the amount of applied darkening, and lightened the two outside rocks and the sky.

Halos: I hate halos, but I cannot find the source of these. I wonder if we are seeing light patches of sky??

#3: I was reluctant to cool it too much because the blues might seem unrealistic. Now I have compromised by cooling but also desaturating and darkening the blues.

No lightening was applied. I think the horizontal surfaces are just catching the sky's light. I pulled down the top end of the global curve, and added a darkening curve to the rocks in the water.

In "light" of darkness comments about the other images, I have now lightened this 5%.

Thanks again!

francois

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:49:41 am »

No lightening was applied. I think the horizontal surfaces are just catching the sky's light. I pulled down the top end of the global curve, and added a darkening curve to the rocks in the water.

Sometimes, nature produces effects that, initially, seem unnatural! Anyway, it's a nice set of images.
Congrats again.
Francois

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:56:39 am »

I really like the first one, the other two don't do much for me though.  :-\

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

IcelandAurora

• Driven by a passion for Landscape Photography
    • Iceland Aurora photo tours
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 06:19:42 am »

Cotton-grass is great, it has a good composition and nice atmosphere.  Composition could be improved by moving closer to the cotton-grass, maybe with a wider lens.  A good foreground deserves intimacy.

#2 doen't do much for me, it needs something interesting in the bottom of the frame.  The rocks are interesting, but not enough.

#3 is a good composition and there is interest throughout.  Maybe play with a polariser on a scene like this, you could get better underwater details.
Driven by a passion for landscape photography and Iceland
http://icelandaurora.com/tours/

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:07:21 pm »

Thanks, Francois, Mike and Iceland. Good points.

#2: it seemed that there must be a good shot in here somewhere. Photography is harder than it looks.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up