Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: exposure for web images  (Read 1143 times)

wmchauncey

exposure for web images
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:28:48 am »

I have developed a system, that seems to work for me, for setting exposure during my shooting that results in 95-98% highlights in LR.
Within PS CC, after converting from ProPhoto to sRGB, I then insure that my high end clipping remains in the 245-250 RGB range,
hoping to insure that there are no blown highlights on my internet displayed images.  Long story short is that I'm still getting blown highlights.
It has been suggested that I should drop down into the RGB 230 area...seems way too low...
Is this something that concerns you guys, how much lower do you'll set your high end numbers for internet display?

It doesn't seem to matter what browser is being used, BTW...my monitor is a calibrated MultiSync PA271 NEC.
I already have determined that my PhotoBucket web hosting site seems to boost saturation about 15% and I do compensate for that anomaly.

The things you do for yourself die with

Simon Garrett

Re: exposure for web images
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:36:04 pm »

I don't think I quite understand the problem.  If you're in sRGB in Photoshop, and the highlights don't go beyond 245-250, then they're not blown.  So what do you mean by "I'm still getting blown highlights"?  I'm probably missing something. 

Redcrown

Re: exposure for web images
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 02:24:31 pm »

Yes, it's unclear what you mean when you say "I'm still getting blown highlights."

But I will guess that you mean the highlights "look" blown out on you monitor, even though Photoshop measures their values at something less than 255. If that's true, I suspect you have your monitor brightness set way too high.

When you calibrate a monitor, brightness is one of the variables. Usually measured in "CD2" values. People argue forever about what the CD2 brightness value should be. The normal accepted range is 90 to 120. Some monitors, especially uncalibrated monitors are set much higher than that by default. The higher you go, the more likely that highlights in the 230 to 250 range are going to "look" blown out.

So, check you monitor brightness. Your calibrator should tell you what it is. Or, you can use this slick trick with a camera:

http://www.hermitage-ps.co.uk/monitor_luminance.htm

Plus, there are many web sites that help you check your monitor. Here's one:

http://www.wpdfd.com/issues/28/optimising_your_monitor_for_web_design_2/

As for PhotoBucket, I don't use it but I'd be surprised if it's adjusting your saturation. More likely that you are confusing it with colorspaces. Are you uploading to PhotoBucket with jpegs in the sRGB colorspace? If not... if you are uploading jpegs in Adobe98 or ProPhoto colorspace, huge shifts in color might appear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up