Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baroque  (Read 2771 times)

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
Baroque
« on: April 26, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »

Hi to you all,
I'm back here again after some time.
I've just uploaded on my website a new portfolio of images entitled Baroque (link: http://www.robertofrieri.net/en_baroque.html).
The subject of this project is the church of the Inviolata in Riva del Garda, which is the most important Baroque church in Trentino.
The church was built in 1603 as a place of pilgrimage thanks of its tabernacle, which was considered to be miraculous.
Indoor, it does boast an octagonal plant featuring five altars, three doors, a vault with frescoes and stuccos, as well as carved wood confessional and marble floors.

These are some pictures from my portfolio.
Obviously, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

WalterEG

Re: Baroque
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 04:12:54 pm »

What a blessing to live with subjects such as this within reasonable access.

Lovingly captured.

W

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 05:06:01 pm »

Hi Roberto!

Good to see you again!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:36:50 pm »

+1.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 01:15:47 am »

Lovingly captured.

W
Indeed. Thanks for sharing!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:04 am »

Belle, metterle un po' più grandine non sarebbe stato male, anche qualche ombra più profonda credo avrebbe giovato.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 04:26:40 am »

Belle, metterle un po' più grandine non sarebbe stato male, anche qualche ombra più profonda credo avrebbe giovato.
+1!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:51:16 am »

A truly beautiful space to spend hours upon hours looking, reflecting and seeing. You have some well-executed photos here

To offer feedback, other than platitudes for good work done (and done well), it might be helpful to know what your goals are. For example, a couple of your photographs appear to be record shots of the outstanding architecture and sculptures. The second one introduces some atmosphere with the sunlight streaming in. In your full collection online, it's nice to see some larger views that include the floor, for example, to introduce scale and the idea that this is a complete building.

Two things I notice, however...

I'm finding that the perspective distortion created by pointing a camera upwards with parallel lines reminds me that I'm looking at a facsimile of the original. Because of this, I'm not drawn into the photos the same way I might be if the distortion was corrected or reduced. Some would disagree, no doubt, as they might see the distortion as a reminder of the soaring nature of church interiors, but I'm finding it mildly distracting.

The second thing I notice, and my cathedral interiors suffer from the same malady - a church is not the building, but the people and there are no people in any photographs. I know this is perhaps tangential from your goal of capturing architecture, but even a few shots that include people in some way would go along way towards illustrating the essence of the space as a people place, instead of simply capturing cold stone. I'm not a people photographer, but I recognize when spaces, particularly in the built environment, seem somewhat empty without people.

Just some thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 09:02:30 am »

Roberto - I'd be curious to see the color version...I think this architecture and detailing has lost an extraordinary amount of it's "image potential" in B&W. Also, correcting verticals/level etc. is something I take on a case by case basis  - but here I think your "verticals" and "convergence" in 1,2,& 4 are not successful and don't focus viewer...and baroque arch of this type can benefit from it.  I like the framing of 3, but would have got the capitals on the lower columns included. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 02:56:22 pm »

First of all, thank you for your kind comments and feedback, that are so important for me and help to improve.
I love the land where I live, and I’m always in search of new aspects of it to photographically represent.
Normally I use a rangefinder camera to shot, even if recently I buyed a quality compact.
My camera can’t work with tilt-shift lenses, and I know that the verticals could be partially fixed in post-production, but I decided to try to take advance of the original perspective effect, however, that this does not go too far.
I shot handheld because I didn’t want to be invasive in a sacred site, and I loved to work only with the available light (in three different occasion, with various light conditions).
I took a few shots with people inside the building, but I decided not to use them and to focus on the baroque architecture.
I printed the images on fine art pater (size A3) and I'm quite pleased whit the results. On a whole I'm satisfied with the quality of the highlights and shadows achieved.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:19:06 pm by Roberto Frieri »

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 03:41:16 pm »

Roberto - such a beautiful place and the marble floor too! Thanks for posting this one. Understand the difficulties...had the same in Florence last fall...and most likely similar in Milan coming up....quello che sarà, sarà  /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

graeme

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 04:41:19 pm »

Great shots Roberto - I'd love to see the prints.

cjogo

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 04:55:56 pm »

Wonderful shots -- nicely seen.    I only wish I was this free to capture images >  back when I traveled to Europe . Huge tripods -- 2-6 minute exposures > no zooms :-(

francois

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 04:50:49 am »

Wonderful shots -- nicely seen.    I only wish I was this free to capture images >  back when I traveled to Europe . Huge tripods -- 2-6 minute exposures > no zooms :-(

You'd need to be very steady to get sharp, hand-held photos with your equipment   :D
Francois

francois

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 04:54:34 am »

First of all, thank you for your kind comments and feedback, that are so important for me and help to improve.
I love the land where I live, and I’m always in search of new aspects of it to photographically represent.
Normally I use a rangefinder camera to shot, even if recently I buyed a quality compact.
My camera can’t work with tilt-shift lenses, and I know that the verticals could be partially fixed in post-production, but I decided to try to take advance of the original perspective effect, however, that this does not go too far.
I shot handheld because I didn’t want to be invasive in a sacred site, and I loved to work only with the available light (in three different occasion, with various light conditions).
I took a few shots with people inside the building, but I decided not to use them and to focus on the baroque architecture.
I printed the images on fine art pater (size A3) and I'm quite pleased whit the results. On a whole I'm satisfied with the quality of the highlights and shadows achieved.

It's a brilliant gallery of photos. It's easy to be overwhelmed in those solemn, sacred edifices.
Francois

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 05:25:26 am »

You'd need to be very steady to get sharp, hand-held photos with your equipment   :D

Hi Francois,
yes, you're right.
I used my analog lightmeter (a Sekonic TwinMate) to verify in advance the respect of the minimum safety time for my equipment: Leica X2 (1/60sec) and Leica M9P (1/15sec) with Summicron 1:2/50 and Elmarit 1:2.8/28 (most of the exposures were made using it).
After the measurement, I decided to shot always at ISO 800 to achieve a balanced quality of the Raw files both with X2 and M9P.

cjogo

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 12:44:16 pm »

You'd need to be very steady to get sharp, hand-held photos with your equipment   :D

Yes , times have changed --Roberto was able to hand-hold and shoot at ISO 800

ASA 360 at F 8-11 would yield around 30 sec ( with reciprocity ) 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:47:55 pm by cjogo »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 02:01:40 am »

Roberto: This isn't photography related, but it fits with the 'tone' of your images (pun intended)

http://windling.typepad.com/blog/2014/04/music.html

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:14 am »

Roberto: This isn't photography related, but it fits with the 'tone' of your images (pun intended)
http://windling.typepad.com/blog/2014/04/music.html
;)
Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up