Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just read the entire owners manual for the GH4  (Read 3294 times)

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
Just read the entire owners manual for the GH4
« on: April 26, 2014, 12:10:01 pm »

This is a highly configurable camera. I love that I can adjust the highlight and shadow curves. Now that I've finished reading I'm heading out to take some images. I've owned the GH3s for a while so I don't think (with the exception of video) that there are too many still photography changes to master...

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Just read the entire owners manual for the GH4
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:06:53 am »

Looks good so far, Kirk! Keep 'em coming from the VSL!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Pete Berry

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:24:51 pm »

I've read a bunch of it, but the camera lies in the future, unfortunately. A dead printer (iPF5100) and moribund HDTV have first call on the trust fund - the latter to be replaced with a 50"or so 4K TV. Any recommendations there in the sub-$2000 range?

It appears from the manual that Auto-ISO is now operative in manual mode, unlike the GH3. Have you checked this out?

Pete

wcwest

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:05:22 am »

Yes, auto iso is available in Manual mode. Also, when shutter speed and aperture are set in a Custom Mode they remain "sticky" when you return to that mode unlike the GH3.

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 12:54:36 pm »

Yes, auto iso is available in Manual mode. Also, when shutter speed and aperture are set in a Custom Mode they remain "sticky" when you return to that mode unlike the GH3.

Thanks, nice! Is there any way to compensate exposure in Manual-Auto-ISO mode other than through the ISO button > fixed setting? If I were designing it, I'd link the EC button to ISO in Manual, so you could stay in Auto-ISO with offsets.

Pete

donbga

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:06:06 pm »

Kirk,

How do stills of the GH3 & GH4 compare?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

vampire

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:48:57 pm »

Settings, settings and more settings!
I am ALMOST, so lost. Having never used a Panasonic, this is going to take a lot of testing to figure out which option works best for different shooting situations. There are just so many options for each individual feature and each one affects other things. I don't mean this as a negative, it's just not a pick up and go camera that you will be 100% comfortable with, until you really learn how to use it. Unless you've shot with a previous GH camera, of course. Have you been able to shoot with AF at 96FPS in .mov? When I go into that setting the AF won't work. Also, anxiously waiting for Adobe to come up with the raw file conversion for still photos.

If anyone has some settings recommendations, please list them. :-)

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:31:39 pm »

The GH3 is a great camera but they could have done a better job with the EVF....so they did. The one on the GH4 is much, much better. The AF on the GH4 also feels a bit faster. I've shot a couple jobs with both and the Jpegs are better on the 4 but I'm waiting for decent Raw processing software to become available (come on Adobe...) before I compare raw files. The GH4 has a very, very solid feel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up