Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updated B&W printer test image  (Read 1364 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Updated B&W printer test image
« on: April 26, 2014, 10:55:50 am »

Several years ago I produced a [free] B&W printer test image that I know has been widely used to get a feel for printer/paper/ink performance.

A while ago I asked for feedback about what aspects people found useful and what could be modified/improved (many thanks to all who commented)

After testing several new papers recently, I've been working on an updated test print image.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/bw_printing/bw-test-image-2.html

This version is available at A4 size, 300ppi, and incorporates a 51 step ramp for linearity measurements (a 21 step version is also available) If popular, I could re-arrange the elements to fit on a letter size sheet (other ppi settings require rather more work)

There are lots of features in the image addressing different aspects of print quality, which I've covered in the article with the download links.  The image contains the exact same photographic elements as the original, to maintain compatibility with any previous test prints.

I hope it's of use, and please do let me know (directly or here) if it's of help?
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Lundberg02

Re: Updated B&W printer test image
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:44:31 pm »

Thanks for that. Very nice.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:56:15 pm »

Thanks for this. A letter size would be nice as well.

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:09:39 pm »

Yes, thank you Keith! I downloaded the new image earlier today and will print it out soon. I did change the resolution to about 351(or there about) so that it would fit on a letter size(8.5" x 11") and within the printing area allowed by my 4800. I print my B&W through QTR using a split tone Piezography ink set.
Now if you could come up with a way to let me use QTR through LR on a PC.... ::)
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Some Guy

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »

....Now if you could come up with a way to let me use QTR through LR on a PC.... ::)

Heck.  I'd settle for a version of QTR that would work correctly with Windows 8.1  Crashes, obscure error codes, and leaves residual junk behind when it does error out that has to be cleaned up manually in Task Manager.  Looks like it was written for Windows 98, and maybe 15 years old from the GUI non-resizable interface.  Load version 2.7.2 and it defaults back to version 2.7.0.   ???   Seems it has been abandoned as far as Windows goes.

Apple version is far nicer, just a lot of printer and curve bugs in their newer OS though.

SG

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 05:09:07 am »

Since the modifications are fairly basic, I've just added a US Letter (8.5" x 11") version of the image to the page (DL links for all are now at the top of the page)

I've not printed it, but since its elements are from the same multi-layer Photoshop file, it should be OK
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 07:28:43 am »

Thank you Keith!

I find your site very useful and interesting!

Regards
William

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: [1]   Go Up