Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Zealand - North and South islands end of May - 2nd week of June  (Read 3267 times)

Azmir

Hello guys,

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Landscape Locations or Landscape Equipment forums as my question is kind of two-fold.

God willing i'll be traveling with the family to New Zealand at the end of May and will be there till about the 2nd week of June. We will be in the South Island first and end our trip in the North. Specifically, we'll be around Wanaka in the South and Tekapo in the North.

My questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend landscape spots or what to look out for in these areas apart from the ones on the travel catalogues. I know I've been eyeing Milford Sound for a while now so that's definitely on the checklist.
2. Gear. I'm a Nikon user and would love some tips on what lenses to bring. Currently I have only primes, the 24mm 2.8 ais, 35mm f2 D, 50mm f1.2 ais and 85mm f1.4 ais. Should I be aiming at bringing something wider than the 24mm? Or perhaps something longer than the 85? In all honesty, I doubt I'll have the budget for any new lenses before the trip but do the lenses I have suffice for the trip and kind of scenery New Zealand has to offer?. Additionally, I shoot film with my Hasselblad H1 + HC 80mm and would love to be able to bring it along; any tips on shooting medium format there?

I do apologize if this has already been covered.

Any advice...gear related, location related, weather related is truly very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Azmir

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Re: New Zealand - North and South islands end of May - 2nd week of June
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:27:00 am »

I'm sure you realize this will be New Zealand's winter. Wanaka will be in the midst of it's ski season and Milford Sound will be rainy (not so bad as there will be more waterfalls). So you ned to think about cold & water in choosing your equipment & clothing. The North Island is not as cold when you get up to Aukland and north.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »

Lake Te Anau is beautiful. We took the boat trip to the glow worm caves and I got some lovely shots while on the lake.

Milford Sound is fantastic, I recommend taking the overnight cruise because most of the scenery is, I believe, only visible from a ship. The cruise itself is fun, too, you might see penguins and seals. The drive to Milford Sound it itself quite gorgeous, be prepared to stop often!

Lake Wanaka itself presents some nice, if ordinary vistas.

If you can get to the Franz Joseph glacier, do it! If you can take their helicopter hike, do it!

If at all possible, take the ferry from the south to the north island. Queen Charlotte Sound offers many lovely scenes.

If you will be Auckland, make every effort to get to Tiritiri Matangi. It's a large island that has been converted to a nature preserve devoted to the native New Zealand flora and fauna, with foreign "visitors" actively removed. The island itself is gorgeous, hilly with many steep cliffs at the shore and all sorts of unusual plants. You might be lucky to see some uncommon birds, too. The boat ride to the island is also full of interesting scenes.

When I went, I had a Nikon DX-format camera, the 18-135mm Nikon kit lens, and a 10-20mm Sigma zoom. These served me very well. I try to strike a balance between having every lens I might want and having a kit that is easy to carry and deal with. Vacations are to enjoy, not to spend lugging and fighting with photo gear.

You'll have a blast - and I wish I could go back!

Azmir

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:57 pm »

I'm sure you realize this will be New Zealand's winter. Wanaka will be in the midst of it's ski season and Milford Sound will be rainy (not so bad as there will be more waterfalls). So you ned to think about cold & water in choosing your equipment & clothing. The North Island is not as cold when you get up to Aukland and north.

Dear Kenneth,

I appreciate the reply.

Yea, somehow the way things have panned out this year and looking at end of the year probabilities it seemed that end May was the best time to travel as a family. I've been a big fan of New Zealand pretty much since Lord of The Rings showed us the full extend of it's beauty. I've been wanting to go since then and now that I have a family it'd be nice to enjoy the scenery with the wife and kids.

We have been warned about the weather and have bought adequate gear I suppose; only maybe missing some thermals for the kids.

Is it true that it will be rainy during that time of year?

One thing I read about traveling to New Zealand during that time of year is that it isn't peak season so a lot less tourists, tour buses, crowds etc. and also cheaper fares for boat rides and such.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Azmir

Azmir

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »

Lake Te Anau is beautiful. We took the boat trip to the glow worm caves and I got some lovely shots while on the lake.

Milford Sound is fantastic, I recommend taking the overnight cruise because most of the scenery is, I believe, only visible from a ship. The cruise itself is fun, too, you might see penguins and seals. The drive to Milford Sound it itself quite gorgeous, be prepared to stop often!

Lake Wanaka itself presents some nice, if ordinary vistas.

If you can get to the Franz Joseph glacier, do it! If you can take their helicopter hike, do it!

If at all possible, take the ferry from the south to the north island. Queen Charlotte Sound offers many lovely scenes.

If you will be Auckland, make every effort to get to Tiritiri Matangi. It's a large island that has been converted to a nature preserve devoted to the native New Zealand flora and fauna, with foreign "visitors" actively removed. The island itself is gorgeous, hilly with many steep cliffs at the shore and all sorts of unusual plants. You might be lucky to see some uncommon birds, too. The boat ride to the island is also full of interesting scenes.

When I went, I had a Nikon DX-format camera, the 18-135mm Nikon kit lens, and a 10-20mm Sigma zoom. These served me very well. I try to strike a balance between having every lens I might want and having a kit that is easy to carry and deal with. Vacations are to enjoy, not to spend lugging and fighting with photo gear.

You'll have a blast - and I wish I could go back!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. Those are some awesome suggestions!

It's already May and I can't believe we're going in about 4 weeks.

I'll be sure to keep your suggestions on our checklist and try to fit in as many as we can.

I totally hear you on the balance between taking along lenses one would want ideally and also on ease of travel. I'll have to give it some serious thought if i'd want to bring two different formats along.

Like you said, vacations are to enjoy and not lugging around gear - and not to mention that my back might thank me at the end of it!

Thanks!

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography

Hello Azmir.
May should be all right for travelling here. Not fully into winter though you'll need to keep an eye on the weather if you are in the mountains. Shouldn't be any more rainy than any other time of year (it's an island: things can be unpredictable). July to August are the months I expect to be snowbound and temperatures to -18C in the Mackenzie Basin.
All the places mentioned are good suggestions.
You could also check out the steam rail excursions to Arthur's Pass (http://www.mainlinesteam.co.nz/) and White Island in the North Island if it is open to the public.
Tekapo is in the South Island. Do you mean Rotorua?
David

Azmir

Hello Azmir.
May should be all right for travelling here. Not fully into winter though you'll need to keep an eye on the weather if you are in the mountains. Shouldn't be any more rainy than any other time of year (it's an island: things can be unpredictable). July to August are the months I expect to be snowbound and temperatures to -18C in the Mackenzie Basin.
All the places mentioned are good suggestions.
You could also check out the steam rail excursions to Arthur's Pass (http://www.mainlinesteam.co.nz/) and White Island in the North Island if it is open to the public.
Tekapo is in the South Island. Do you mean Rotorua?
David

Hi David,

Thank you for the suggestion on the steam rail excursion as well as for the encouragement on the weather.

My mistake on Tekapo; I mean't Lake Taupo, sorry about that.

I've read some encouraging things about traveling during the end may/ early june period as well so right now I'm just looking forward to the trip :)

degrub

What lens do you carry when you go out with family ?

What do you like to shoot when you go out by yourself ?
Pick those 2 lenses and
pack light and enjoy the islands.

We traveled this time of year with just a goretex shell with a sweater and  hat and were comfortable. Had memorable afternoon in a tea shop somewhere near Oamaru on the way to Dunedin when a storm blew up the island knocking poor bikers off the road and into the shelter of the shop with us.

It shouldn't be an issue if you need to pick up additional warm clothes on South Island.

Frank

Azmir

What lens do you carry when you go out with family ?

What do you like to shoot when you go out by yourself ?
Pick those 2 lenses and
pack light and enjoy the islands.

We traveled this time of year with just a goretex shell with a sweater and  hat and were comfortable. Had memorable afternoon in a tea shop somewhere near Oamaru on the way to Dunedin when a storm blew up the island knocking poor bikers off the road and into the shelter of the shop with us.

It shouldn't be an issue if you need to pick up additional warm clothes on South Island.

Frank

Hi Frank,
Thank you for the reply.

Personally I like shooting with my 50mm while when I'm out with the family it's usually the 35mm. But I was thinking also about the landscapes I could potentially capture and thus would probably need either something wider than the 35 or even longer than a 50 like the 85 maybe.

Thanks for your suggestions though, I'd definitely be giving it some thought. I mean, the last thing I want is to be struggling with gear and not able to enjoy myself.

Azmir
Pages: [1]   Go Up