Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing target patch on IPF6300  (Read 6935 times)

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Printing target patch on IPF6300
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 03:52:40 pm »

Under the Main tab, change "Easy Settings" to "Advanced"
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 03:54:36 pm »

Dunno, the targets were sent to me. Didn't get to play with any of that stuff.

If you're going to offer remote profiling for that printer this would be a good thing to know about since they are so intrinsically tied. If you make a bunch of profiles for them and later on they find the calibration and run it, all of your profiles will be invalid. Calibration is really important on the iPF pritners!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 03:59:41 pm »

If you're going to offer remote profiling for that printer this would be a good thing to know about since they are so intrinsically tied. If you make a bunch of profiles for them and later on they find the calibration and run it, all of your profiles will be invalid. Calibration is really important on the iPF pritners!
While I'm sure that's all true, and it's good data, it simply isn't something I can control or be involved with, no more than if someone decides to use 3rd party inks or papers from companies that produce less than consistent control over the media. Same if I work with press profiling which I do and which we both know takes daily process control. Again, good to know but nothing I can control remotely. Heck, I'd love if every client ran targets through Maxwell and I could see the reports but it simply isn't possible.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 04:03:53 pm »

While I'm sure that's all true, and it's good data, it simply isn't something I can control or be involved with, no more than if someone decides to use 3rd party inks or papers from companies that produce less than consistent control over the media. Same if I work with press profiling which I do and which we both know takes daily process control. Again, good to know but nothing I can control remotely. Heck, I'd love if every client ran targets through Maxwell and I could see the reports but it simply isn't possible.

Fair enough. I personally feel it's my responsibility to 'see the bigger picture' and educate my customers on all the variables so that they can be empowered with the knowledge to make the best decisions for getting and maintaining optimal color now and down the road.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »

Calibration is really important on the iPF pritners!
Further and OT, it does sound like an issue Epson's do not suffer. Their intrinsic stability and consistency among multiple samples of the same make is astounding! When I built the Exhibition Fiber profiles for Epson, using 5000 patches and 6 different model around the country to average the data, they were 0.5dE differences among them. That's really good!

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »

Further and OT, it does sound like an issue Epson's do not suffer. Their intrinsic stability and consistency among multiple samples of the same make is astounding! When I built the Exhibition Fiber profiles for Epson, using 5000 patches and 6 different model around the country to average the data, they were 0.5dE differences among them. That's really good!

The high volume shops I deal with are seeing the need to re-lineaze using Epson ColorBase every 6-12 months on their Epson's. Low volume consumers often don't have the volume to see much drifting over the life of their printers but the high volume shops see a visible difference within a year. So yes, you saw excellent consistency across a bunch of relatively new or underutilized printers that were freshly linearized with ColorBase from the factory, but that linearization will drift with heavy usage.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:55 pm »

So yes, you saw excellent consistency across a bunch of relatively new or underutilized printers that were freshly linearized with ColorBase from the factory, but that linearization will drift with heavy usage.
No ColorBase as I recall but we're going back a number of years. And at least two were from pretty high volume users although the term (high volume) is up to interpretation.
Are the needs to recalibrate the Canon less in the same kinds of production environments?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 04:20:21 pm »

No ColorBase as I recall but we're going back a number of years.

Epson uses ColorBase at the factory to linearize every printer coming out. Pretty cool! You can see how great the results are.

And at least two were from pretty high volume users although the term (high volume) is up to interpretation.

I'm thinking 4-20 hours of printing 5+ days a week. 5 prints a day average doesn't count.

Are the needs to recalibrate the Canon less in the same kinds of production environments?

No. Neither printer drifts enough for the average consumer to notice in the lifespan of the printer. High volume pros tend to calibrate their Canon's every 4-6 months and Epson's every 9-12 months.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Trinity

• Trinity Framing
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 04:20:22 pm »

Thanks for sticking with me on this Scott, see where you mean, and I thought I'd gone everywhere on the page.

You see the whole of the moon     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsNTmjlf1vI

Keith.
Keith Gilson
ww.trinityframing.co.uk

dgillilan

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 06:04:57 pm »

Thanks Scott for bringing up the color calibration importance of the x400 Canon printers. Fortunately, I did color calibrate my Canon ipf6400 this weekend, before I printed my targets from my new Xrite i1 photo pro. Yes, I turned off color management, definitely always do that.
I also calibrated my smaller Canon Pro-1. They come with their own software to do this also -requiring the i1 or colormunki, and ran some targets on it also.
I am glad to know how important that is, I was not sure and I figured that if Canon included it, I was gonna use it. Yes the unique and common calibration distinctions are strange, but I studied the manual and think I have a small handle on Canon's procedure and was successful on both of my Canons.

Thank you, Debra
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up