Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-Pro1 OVF issue  (Read 2290 times)

tehtarik

• ...the eye is a lonely hunter...
Fuji X-Pro1 OVF issue
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:58:38 am »

Hi all,
am hoping for a little help or insight and would appreciate any feedback.

I recently bought above camera and have noticed the OVF to be quite far off precision.
What I see inside the given "frame" of the OVF (meant to depict the frame of the chip i suppose...)
has pretty much nothing to do with what is actually captured.
The captured image shows way more information at the bottom and right-hand side.
And this has nothing to do with parallax - because it doesn't matter whether subject is way close / or way far from
camera.
To illustrate what I mean I attached a jpg. The red frame indicates what I see in the OVF and,.... well what is actually captured...

many thanx for any help!
best
F.

Michael N. Meyer

• Michael Nathaniel Meyer Freelance
Re: Fuji X-Pro1 OVF issue
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:38:35 am »

That's parallax error at work. The optical viewfinder and lens see slightly differently because they are offset. The closer you get, the more pronounced the parallax is. It isn't an issue of precision.

There is a setting in the menus to show you a corrected AF frame, though it still isn't perfect. After a while you get used to this and learn to correct your framing based on experience.

For accurate framing needs switch to the EVF.

Petrus

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:58:35 am »

I have had X-Pro1 for 2 years. OVF is inaccurate like OP says. It is not parallax (only). I found that especially with 60mm lens OVF was practically useless. Fortunately the camera captures more than the OVF promises, not less, if it is of any consolation. Exact framing can be achieved by cropping.

If I do not remember wrong later firmware updates were supposed to do something about this??? Do you have the latest FW?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:00:02 am »

First, I assume you have the latest firmware update, yes? If not, it did add some extra precision to the OVF frame lines.

But your example is well within the tolerances I would expect for what is really a fairy sloppy system. Frame lines on  most any optical finder aren't totally accurate. For that matter, neither is the view through most DSLR optical finders (it's typically 94 or 96% of the final image.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

tehtarik

• ...the eye is a lonely hunter...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »

Hi all,

thanks for the replies.
Sorry - a little under informed:
I'm using the 35mm lens with latest FW - 3.2 for body and 3.00 for lens (not the newest FW…)

what confuses me - and which is why I was thinking it isn't parallax - is the fact that the "extra information" on the capture happens no matter
whether focusing at infinity or up (very) close. same thing both ways…

I guess sloppy is the right word for that @k bennett ;-) but is that really within acceptable tolerance…?

@petrus: slight consolation i guess ;-)

The guy at the (pro) camera supply store was also quite amazed about the level of inaccuracy.
He suggested sending the camera in to FUJI for readjusting … or whatever … within guarantee.

not sure if that is any good.

best,
F.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 01:10:31 pm »

Well the sloppiness is pretty well documented on the web ever since it came out. I take it you did set the setting in the menu to set the corrected AF frame to on? if you need super accurate framing then use the EVF it is easy to switch back and forth. I have found that over time I use the OVF less and less and use the EVF, and now that I have a X-T1 I pretty happy with the EVF on the Fujis.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up