Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mold possible in ink cart?  (Read 666 times)

Some Guy

Mold possible in ink cart?
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:20:34 pm »

One printer was plugged up bad on green ink (Canon 9000 II) today.  Seemed to get worse in a run with it too, but it was full.  So a few multiple cleanings and just a smidgen showed up on the nozzle check.

Decided to pull the cart.  Saw small lighter green balls under the exit port around the circumference of the port and some in the middle of the sponge.  Some visible in the sides of the cart too.  Image attached (I hope!).

I know the green is used infrequently, but don't know if it is possible to get mold in a ink cart?  Maybe why they also say "Toss it if older than a year or two" also.

Hopefully the head isn't plugged with the crud.  More cleanings and checks running now.  I have a spare head on hand if it doesn't work.

Weird as none of the other 4 carts have those things in them.  All are refills out of same bottle going back maybe a year too.  Might have to sterilize the head if the buggers are in the head itself and can contaminate the thing if it is mold and they can grow.

SG

Chris233

Re: Mold possible in ink cart?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:31:10 pm »

Most likely not mold. There are biocide compounds to prevent proliferation in commercial inks. Take a look at the registered patent for that ink manufacturer or msds. Having said that... Time, environment, and air exposure to ink can do some wild things.

First assumption is the ink has coagulated or changed viscosity over time. You say it is a re-filled cartridge and old inks. Most likely it has thickened and coagulated.

Best to flush the system from the cartridges to the print head dampers. Then flush the dampers. With fresh inks, or cleaning solution on your re-fill able cartridges run initial fill so the system can flush the print head.

That is, if you are convinced these contaminates are in your ink lines.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:48:23 pm by Chris233 »

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Mold possible in ink cart?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 04:32:55 am »

Yes, mold is possible.

With CIS systems I had the same experience with an Epson 5000 dye ink printer.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up